PDA

View Full Version : 99-04 mustang gt

Pages : [1] 2

s500
07-06-2012, 05:37 AM
I'm selling my mercedes and wanted to buy a 99-04 mustang gt in manual as my first manual car. could you guys give me any heads up or what i should look for when purchasing one. all the ones i see on craigslist seem beat up and was thinking of going to auction.any help will be appreciated thanks.

rider9195
07-06-2012, 06:04 AM
I wouldn't get one from an auction. They usually don't let you test drive them. Find one that you like and if you have a friend that can drive stick have them drive it. Make sure the car goes into each gear easily and doesn't pop out of gear. The best thing to do is get the car to a trusted mechanic to have him check it out before you buy it.

s500
07-06-2012, 07:05 AM
I wouldn't get one from an auction. They usually don't let you test drive them. Find one that you like and if you have a friend that can drive stick have them drive it. Make sure the car goes into each gear easily and doesn't pop out of gear. The best thing to do is get the car to a trusted mechanic to have him check it out before you buy it.

my dad knows how to drive stick i just wanted to know if anyone has the car and has negative opinions about it and at auction there is green light cars i have 24 hours to return.

Dysturbed87
07-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Just as with any car check fluids and make sure they are clean/decently clean without impurities (metal shavings in oil, completely discolored coolant, etc.). It is a sports car so it will have been beaten on somewhat. What the person ^^^ said, definitely check that stuff.

If the vehicle is having issues going into gear check to see if it has a firewall adjuster on it. If it does and it is hard getting into gears, it MIGHT mean it is not adjusted correctly.

Try and figure out if there are any mods done to it. Finding this out will help immensely in what else you might want to check out.

I like showing off my car and thought you might appreciate... http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/Dysturbed87/Car%20Show/DSC_0455.jpg

s500
07-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Just as with any car check fluids and make sure they are clean/decently clean without impurities (metal shavings in oil, completely discolored coolant, etc.). It is a sports car so it will have been beaten on somewhat. What the person ^^^ said, definitely check that stuff.

If the vehicle is having issues going into gear check to see if it has a firewall adjuster on it. If it does and it is hard getting into gears, it MIGHT mean it is not adjusted correctly.

Try and figure out if there are any mods done to it. Finding this out will help immensely in what else you might want to check out.

I like showing off my car and thought you might appreciate... http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/Dysturbed87/Car%20Show/DSC_0455.jpg

love the car and thanks for the advice by the way do you have a supercharger on it and what exhaust set up do you have or would recommend.thanks

Dysturbed87
07-06-2012, 08:35 AM
No supercharger yet. Not going to put one on until I build the bottom end. I currently have a full slp exhaust (catted xpipe and lm1 catback). I like the slp line, bassani ss, and magnaflow catbacks. I say just stay away from flowmaster. A lot of people complain of drone and (where I live) almost all the mustangs have them so I didn't care to be the same

s500
07-06-2012, 08:56 AM
No supercharger yet. Not going to put one on until I build the bottom end. I currently have a full slp exhaust (catted xpipe and lm1 catback). I like the slp line, bassani ss, and magnaflow catbacks. I say just stay away from flowmaster. A lot of people complain of drone and (where I live) almost all the mustangs have them so I didn't care to be the same

just like me i hate having the same car as others and being the same by the way i love this setup but i live in nyc and don't feel like getting pulled over every day.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMFcGQ0AVVw]2001 Mustang GT - Mac Longtubes, VRS o/r X, SLP lm2 - YouTube[/video]

Dysturbed87
07-06-2012, 09:08 AM
That sounds pretty good. Are there laws for how loud your car can be up there? I know there has got to be emissions tests so long tubes (from what I have been told) will cause a fail and no cats definitely will.

That exhaust is milder than mine...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2uwUfN-jlo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
The lm1 is essentially just cutouts and the lm2 is the same design just with the baffling in it

s500
07-06-2012, 09:19 AM
That sounds pretty good. Are there laws for how loud your car can be up there? I know there has got to be emissions tests so long tubes (from what I have been told) will cause a fail and no cats definitely will.

That exhaust is milder than mine...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2uwUfN-jlo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
The lm1 is essentially just cutouts and the lm2 is the same design just with the baffling in it

im not sure about the laws and yea i heard about the long tubes too i want it to sound good but not that i get pulled over every day. hopefully soon i get one and upload a detail as I'm trying to sell my car and pick up the mustang between a week and a half as I'm going on vacation to canada

Dysturbed87
07-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Biggest thing is not to settle. If there is something that bothers you about one than go look at another.

One thing u would recommend doing once you purchase is to our weld in full length subframe connectors. If you opt for a convertible check the weatherstrip for leaks/tears/etc and the top for the same

Y2KSVT
07-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Getting a manual transmission in NYC? I hope you have a healthy left knee! If you get a chance to drive the car first, get to about 15mph in 4th gear and lay on the gas. If the clutch starts to slip, you're more than likely looking at needing a new clutch.

Do you have a price range you're looking in? If you're looking at Craigslist and auctions, I'll assume you're trying to spend very little, which typically means you'll get what you pay for. If you're willing to spend the money, you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding a nice, lower mileage, well cared for car.

Dysturbed87
07-06-2012, 09:50 AM
If you're looking at Craigslist and auctions, I'll assume you're trying to spend very little, which typically means you'll get what you pay for.

A majority of the time this is true but not always. Sometimes you are able to come across things that doesn't have anything wrong, decent/good mileage, and been cared for at a decent price.

Six years ago I bought my car for $9200. The only issue with the paint was on the spoiler, the car had 47,000 miles, lowered correctly (caster/camber plates, eibach springs, tokico hp shocks/struts). They just wanted to get another vehicle and didn't have a need to hold onto it. At time I didn't know the color was a "rare" or hard to find. Approximately 7500 were made in that color and body style (mostly v6 models). So don't settle you will find something you like at a good price

I forgot completely about the clutch stuff. Follow what he said...if you get those results it will need a new clutch sooner than later. Also if it starts shaking when doing that as well than it is possible the flywheel has issues. If it is an upgraded clutch sometimes you will get chatter when starting in first

s500
07-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Getting a manual transmission in NYC? I hope you have a healthy left knee! If you get a chance to drive the car first, get to about 15mph in 4th gear and lay on the gas. If the clutch starts to slip, you're more than likely looking at needing a new clutch.

Do you have a price range you're looking in? If you're looking at Craigslist and auctions, I'll assume you're trying to spend very little, which typically means you'll get what you pay for. If you're willing to spend the money, you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding a nice, lower mileage, well cared for car.

A majority of the time this is true but not always. Sometimes you are able to come across things that doesn't have anything wrong, decent/good mileage, and been cared for at a decent price.

Six years ago I bought my car for $9200. The only issue with the paint was on the spoiler, the car had 47,000 miles, lowered correctly (caster/camber plates, eibach springs, tokico hp shocks/struts). They just wanted to get another vehicle and didn't have a need to hold onto it. At time I didn't know the color was a "rare" or hard to find. Approximately 7500 were made in that color and body style (mostly v6 models). So don't settle you will find something you like at a good price

I forgot completely about the clutch stuff. Follow what he said...if you get those results it will need a new clutch sooner than later. Also if it starts shaking when doing that as well than it is possible the flywheel has issues. If it is an upgraded clutch sometimes you will get chatter when starting in first

i wasn't looking to spend more than $5000 which i think i can get a decent one for and i live in staten island, ny which is no where near brooklyn, bronx, queens, and manhattan its the forgotten borough but lately I've seen more and more people moving in so maybe someday it will have as much residents as the other boroughs.

Bobby B.
07-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Why are you selling the S500? I love that big body style on the Mercedes.

07gtcs
07-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Autotrader.com is another good outlet to find good cars.