PDA

View Full Version : 1st correction progress and questions

Spiney
07-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Today I finally started correction on my black 96 SVT Cobra. I know pictures would be appreciated but right now I don't have them. I did take some befores but not sure how they came out yet. Sun was very strong and in the shade I didn't have a Sun lamp. I had already washed with dawn and clayed using Meg's OTC clay kit.

Today I started correction using Meg's MF DA Kit. I started with a test area 2' sq area. I Followed the instructions but did make one change. I plan on using UPG+ not wax so for step 2 I used 205 on the MF instead of the Combo polish / wax supplied.

I wasn't happy with the results the finish was hazy grey instead of gloss black. So I remember Tuscarora Dave telling me that the polish buffs out better on a foam pad. He was right using an LC 5.5" white flat pad vastly improved the final finish.

Questions: I used the MF pad and included compound per the instructions. It got rid of the swirls but some of the rids or water etchings. Going back a second time, pressing harder removed some of the rids but not the etchings. For other rids I had to go back over just them with an orange pad. Is this normal or should the Meg's MF system remove most defects and I need to change my technique.

Also later in the day I was able to go outside because the sun was setting. Outside after correction everything looked great. Later when I pulled it in the garage under fluorescent lights I saw scratches I had missed before.

I don't want to buff the clear coat off, at what point is enough, enough?

It was tough working in todays 95 degree heat. And yes I worked inside. I don't have an awning yet.

Tomorrow I'm going to put the UPG+ on the areas I finished which are the hood, roof, trunk pillars, and top of the quarters. I need light to see what I'm doing. I plan on wiping down with IPA 20% before applying it.

That's it, any suggestions for better correction with the Meg's MF Kit would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Spiney
07-06-2012, 01:35 AM
I re-watched the Video with Mike and the guys from Meguiar's on this system and caught something that may improve my results. They mentioned that using the supplied backing plate is very important. I bought a spare 5" backing plate by a different manufacturer and I put that on my Gratiots Garage GG6 before I realized There was a backing plate included in the Meg's system. So in the am I'll try to use the Meg's backing plate and see if the performance is better.

Another think I remembered, I started using tape to mask off sections until I got more familiar with correction area. I used 3M blue painters tape 1". When I removed it, it left a bit of residue on the edges every time. Is this normal? I bought it from Home Depot. That's it. I look forward to any replies or suggestions before I move on. Thanks again, Dave