PDA

View Full Version : Just how necessary is using a wax or sealant.........

Pages : [1] 2 3

civdiv99
07-05-2012, 07:02 PM
My 2011 Camaro SS stays garaged and covered (in the garage) to boot. Comes out on goldilocks days only.

While I would probably enjoy waxing it, it's a silver car and I've read here (somewhere) that a sealant may look better.

Yeah, no excuse for not doing anything yet. Yep, you read that right. Unbelievable to me, a year has gone by whilst I have pondered my options.

Given the car's storage situation, is the procrastination really that big of a deal?

rider9195
07-05-2012, 07:24 PM
It's worth it. Plus when you wash it, you get to see nice beads. Being that your car is silver you could get some Dodo Juice wax that is meant for a light colored car.

AutowerxDetailing
07-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Given that your vehicle is rarely driven it probably won't make too much of a difference; however, I would still recommend some type of protection... even if you just use a quality spray wax after whenever you wash it.

The main purpose of wax or sealant is to serve as a sacrificial barrier between your vehicle's paintwork and the elements. Other than that though, you can achieve reflections a mile deep and a really awesome wet look with a quality wax that just won't be there if the paint is left bare.

david79z28
07-05-2012, 07:36 PM
My 2010 Camaro is a garage queen also. I still clay it once a year. I am always amazed at how many contaminates the clay removes.

I keep a sealant and wax on it. Currently it's CG Blacklight and Dodo Juice Orange Crush.

The greatest benefit is how much easier bug and bird doo removal are after I take it out.

glen e
07-05-2012, 07:51 PM
My car is garaged too - the big thing about a garage is the protection from UV. I use a few sealants and procedures that are more complex as I like detailing, but if I wanted to just protect it with the littlest work possible - I could do it with meguires OTC gold class shampoo and some Meg's quik spray wax and feel I was getting enuf protection...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/898b4d62.jpg

Wheelzntoys
07-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Throw a coating on it.

You might need protection from the car cover.

civdiv99
07-05-2012, 08:52 PM
So after posting this, i was browsing the Dodo Juice products, and i pop back to see 2 recommendations for same.

Interesting......

ok, i'll go with that. whaddya think - diamond white or light fantastic?
I have a GG 6" if that affects my choices - hard, soft, etc.

Hmmmmm. The irony of pointing out I have a DA in the same thread I'm talking' about a year going by without waxing is not lost on me. Be careful, or life can get in the way of living.

JeffW
07-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Silver, and you want it to be as effortless as possible? Look up UPP. Treat it with some v7 once in a while.

Jaretr1
07-05-2012, 09:33 PM
My 350Z is also a garage queen and that doesnt stop me from giving it a coat of Souveran a few times a year. I want it to shine and glisten whenever I take it out of the garage. Additionally, keeping the paint well protected, like mentioned above makes it incredibly easy to get anything off it. I often just need to hose the car down to wash it. And its also super cool to sheet water over the car and have the car end up being 90% dry when I am done.

Klasse Act
07-05-2012, 10:28 PM
After one year I'd still do the following to the car:

-good hand wash using your favorite rinseless product

-clay bar

-your favorite sealant (may I recommend BFWD or BFCS)

I just can't see a caranuba doing anything to make silver "pop" IMO. I also suggested BFCS and what's nice about that is you can apply it right over the stripes on your car w/o a problem, not to mention on the wheels, helps keep them looking their best and when you clean them, well, its that much easier when you wash the car down. The BFWD does an awesome job on the paint and windows, yes, the windows, easy on and easy off, great product!

I have to ask this though, those of you with brand new cars that are "garage queens", why did you buy modern cars with so much to offer the driver, great mileage on the freeway, handling, braking and overall capabilities and not some old classic, just curious? Its surely not because you think the car is going to be worth alot of money down the road, that's for sure.

glen e
07-05-2012, 10:37 PM
I have to ask this though, those of you with brand new cars that are "garage queens", why did you buy modern cars with so much to offer the driver, great mileage on the freeway, handling, braking and overall capabilities and not some old classic, just curious? Its surely not because you think the car is going to be worth alot of money down the road, that's for sure.

so taking care of a new car is weird?

I don't understand....garages are not for antique cars, they are for every car, IMO...warehouses are for collector cars....

FUNX650
07-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Waxes/sealants are for protection.
If it's a true garage queen...what would you, then, be protecting it against, by applying a wax/sealant?

-Once upon a time...When I thought about having personal garage queens with: 'a-show-car-finish'...
It was:
-Wash/dry (clay each spring, or so)
-Polish to remove defects/blemishes;
-Then glaze (like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, Meg's #7)

(When the garage queens were in attendance at car shows...Judges seem to have an affinity towards carnuba'd vehicles. Often, to accomodate them...
Carnuba's/hybrids like 3M Show Car, Meg's #26, P21S/S100)

-Since carnubas seem to get "sticky", at times...and once home: back to maintenance washes;
polish again if necessary (to remove blemishes induced by blankity-blank car show participants);
glazing; then, covering-it-up.

-But...That really wasn't much FUN!!

-Now I use a lot of sealant (like Meg' #21, WGDGPS)...and those carnubas for additional protection every now and then.
Nice to have the latest & greatest detail-sprays/spray-waxes handy, too.

Even nicer to drive and enjoy 'em!!! {More FUN that way, also, IMHO.}

:)

Bob

civdiv99
07-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Huh? I dunno about anyone else, but for me it's just a toy; kids are grown with their own families now, and my wife likes the car, so one day she calls me at work to tell me she picked one out. Nothing else to it. Daily driver is a 5 series (albeit not a new one), so I'm not "roughing it" anyway.

civdiv99
07-05-2012, 11:34 PM
My daily driver BMW and reasonably nice truck sit outside. My dirt bike and Camaro are garaged. You know, priorities..........

so taking care of a new car is weird?

I don't understand....garages are not for antique cars, they are for every car, IMO...warehouses are for collector cars....

olbear1962
07-06-2012, 12:05 AM
My garage queen, is always sealed, always. I find washing, polishing and waxing to be theraputic :)
I am very impressed with Duragloss sealers and Aquawax, Menzerna Power Lock and C-Magic.
So many great products out there from inexpensive to extremely expensive. Autogeek has so many to offer.