PDA

View Full Version : Detailing frequency

gmnfn
07-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Aloha Mike,

I just bought an Alabaster Silver with Black leather interior 2012 Honda Accord SE, and my question is how often should should I detail it. I live on Maui and wash it every week minimum and someimes more due to the fact we have rain and mud and also sunny skies with alot of salt air. I make sure to clean all of the door jambs and under the trunk lid and hood along with wiping down the color keyed rims everytime I wash the car. On the interior I currently just use a slightly damp microfiber towel and wipe it down. My concern with doing that is that it might dry out the leather. I know I'm supposed to condition the leather too but I am not sure how often I'm supposed to do it. I would like to know what products you recommend I should use on my Accord. I have looked at the various "car care kits" on this website but I really do not know which particular brand is better and what size kit I really need for the car I have. This car is an everyday driver but my goal is to keep it looking new so that five years from now it will look like a car owned by that little old lady who keeps her car in the garage only, and drives her car only 4 times a month to go to church and twice a month to buy groceries going no more than 1 mile for each trip. I will be ordering your detailing book along with the " car care kits" you recommened and thank you in advance for all your help.

Mahalo and Aloha, Art

mjlinane
07-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Welcome to AGO!!

tampatopless
07-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Seems like you are doing everything right. Damp cloth on the interior is excellent since most of that stuff is either vinyl, plastic or treated leather. Maybe once a month use some conditioner on the leather and some protectorant on everything else.

As far as how often to wash, I think the experts can steer you well here. There is a feeling of some that the more you wash, the more chance you have of introducing swirl marks and microabrasions. Of course, you want the car to look good at all times.

Maybe try wiping it down every day or so with a quick detailer so that it doesn't need to get washed every week.

RMM
07-06-2012, 03:52 AM
:welcome:
One of the most important aspects (yet quite overlooked) is the washing process: use two good wool or microfiber mitts (one for the upper body, the other for the lower one), grit guards, dedicated brushes for the wheels, a quality microfiber for drying (even better: a good air blaster). The more gentle and the less you touch the paint, the better.
But being a daily driver, don't get your hopes too high: swirls, scratches and dents will come your way...
Even with a good weekly maintenance process you will need to protect the paint often (UV and salt water in Hawaii is for sure a problem) and to maintain it from time to time depending on the deffects and the imbebed contamination (clay and IronX and TarX for instance, compound, buff).

BobbyG
07-06-2012, 04:48 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online Art!! :props:

vet
07-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Welcome!

You're at the right place for advice and products. The AG techs are helpful, and the pros on the forum will steer you toward products. Every area has different circumstances, heat, cold, salt air, road salt, etc.

Keep an open mind (and wallet,lol). Post your results, even do a review on products you use.

truckbutt
07-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Welcome to the forum. My non-winter DD is a black Mustang. I do a major detail (with compound) once a year and touch ups as needed. I'm always trying out new LSP's. To maintain it, I wet it down almost every morning with a hose. Then I walk around the car with a spray bottle of UWW+ (1:32) or FK425 and then dry it with an Absorber or MF towel. Tires and trim get done as needed with UTTG. Everyone has their own preferences.

glen e
07-06-2012, 07:25 AM
welcome - there are many of us here that also post on the detailing section of driveaccord dot net. See our accords there. For my accord I do the following every 6 months or so...click on my car in my signature for a look at how it holds up after 3 years of detail every 6 months.

Daily driver detail
1. If needed, Clay with ONR lube
2. Blackfire Total Polish and Seal on an orbital with green CCS pad- this leaves almost no haze
3. Remove with BF poly spray or just buff off by hand
4. Blackfire crystal seal or BF Wet Diamond..Crystal seal is the fastest, no buff at all
5. Blackfire carnuba spray wax or poly spray after weekly washes-use meiguirs gold class shampoo after detailing, before the detail, ONCE use dawn dish washing soap to start clean.

Done , BF spreads so easily it's a treat to work with....