PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on an exhaust for my Taco!

hollerstiltner
07-04-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm thinking of putting a cat back on my truck. It's a 2011 Tacoma 4x4 with the 4liter V6. I've more or less narrowed it down to either Borla or Banks. What do you guys think? I've personally never heard either, so I'm open to suggestions.

rider9195
07-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Why not just have the muffler changed out and the resonators removed? That's what my dad had done to his Ram Hemi and it sounds awesome. A lot cheaper than a cat back.

poweraid
07-04-2012, 10:42 PM
I understand u got a v6 , this cat back exhaust , is it gonna be quiet ? IMO any v6 just ain't gonna have that rumble sound. gonna be cross from a fart can to a tractor sound .

Jmoran
07-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Do you want it for sound or performance?

hollerstiltner
07-05-2012, 08:19 AM
I thought of just a muffler, but then changed my mind. If I ever wanted to go stock it'd be easier to bolt the old one instead of trying to piece it back together. Also, both systems are stainless so they should last a bit longer than factory.

As for the sound, I've only heard you tube videos so I don't know if they sound like a "fart can" or tractor. I will say I've heard some 4.3 S10s and 4.0 rangers sound pretty good. Not sure if my truck would or wouldn't be one of the good ones or not. Both systems are louder than stock, but I've never seen them called obnoxiously loud so far. I just want a sound I'll enjoy, not a hey look at me sound.

I'm not expecting performance. I figure I may gain 5hp with is entirely unnoticeable. I'm mainly looking for a decent sound. If I'm lucky may get an extra 1mpg.

chris.ganucheau
07-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Why not go with a TRD one? They sound decent an it would void any warranty if you had one. The TRD one I think comes on the TSS package.

hollerstiltner
07-05-2012, 07:54 PM
About a month ago I was at the dealer and was able to hear a TRD exhaust on a truck. It sounded decent, but talking to the shop guys, they all said the borla sounded a lot better. Unfortunately they didn't have any installed on a truck there. I'd loved to have heard it. I was hoping someone on here may have had some experience with one of them.

DaveT435
07-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I would go Borla between those two. If you go cat back it won't void the warranty. If you do anything with the cat it will. The cat backs are nice to install. So easy. I much prefer the sound of a V8 but as long as you like it...that's all that really matters. We put a Magnaflow on my son's Civic that had a real nice sound. They have some good prices right now. If you haven't done an exhaust before it will be pretty quiet at first...it will take a week or so before you hear the true sound...