PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Pinnacle XMT Series new guy here

Swole
07-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I've been lurking and learning for quite a while. I purchased a Porter Cable 7424 Xp and it came with the Pinnacle fine swirl remover 2 and the Carnuba finishing glaze. I have an orange, white, and gray pad. I've watched the "how to videos" and have read a bunch of info from the forums, but can't figure out how to use this product combo correctly. It seems I may have gotten the wrong product, since not
many people use the Swirl remover 2.

Last night on my test area I applied Swirl remover 2 to a light orange cutting pad, did my passes and it seemed to create "micro swirls" I followed that up by trying the Swirl remover 2 on an white pad, than gray. The swirls got a little better, but we're still there. I applied the glaze, hoping it would cover the micro swirls and it helped just a little.

Basically I need help in determining what product and pad to use in which order. I also have Meguiars cleaner wax 6. My car is only 3 years old and the paint isn't too bad, I just wanted to get the light scratches and swirls out alon with some water spots. Also I did the wash, and clay before.

Chase.Barnett
07-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Did it come with XMT swirl #1? If so, go over your area with #1 on the white pad then you should be swirl free. Top off with your caranuba on the gray ot blue pad.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Swole
07-04-2012, 05:40 PM
I think that's my problem, it didn't come with Swirl remover #1. In the video, Mike goes from Swirl remover 3 on an orange, to Swirl remover 1 on a white.

rider9195
07-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I think that's my problem, it didn't come with Swirl remover #1. In the video, Mike goes from Swirl remover 3 on an orange, to Swirl remover 1 on a white.

All paints are different. I would try #2 on a black pad on speed 4.

Swole
07-04-2012, 06:41 PM
and afterwards use the glaze on the white pad to finish?

rider9195
07-04-2012, 06:50 PM
and afterwards use the glaze on the white pad to finish?

A white pad is more aggressive than a black pad. So you would just be putting in what you just took out with the black pad and the #2. I would use the glaze with the black pad to finish and then top with a sealant or wax.

Swole
07-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Yea your right my fault, keep mixing the white and black pads. Sp just use the black basically on both? any speed suggestion? I've seen around 4 for that also?

rider9195
07-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Yea your right my fault, keep mixing the white and black pads. Sp just use the black basically on both? any speed suggestion? I've seen around 4 for that also?

Yes, that is correct. I would use speed 4 when using both products. You are just removing some light micro marring from what you explained and I would also use less pressure. But use enough to keep the pad rotating.

Swole
07-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Alright, So I completed the steps like you mentioned. I applied this method to the entire hood. I was outside in the shade and it looked almost flawless, definately an improvement but not where I want it. When I pulled my car into the garage I noticed that there was still quite a bit of the small scratches and micro swirls along with a water spot here and there even after I applied the glaze and wax. At this point do I use a different product?

Chase.Barnett
07-05-2012, 02:31 PM
If your not able to get the final swirls out, you'll want to go to a less aggressive polish on a less aggressive pad to take the final swirls out. If your unable to get xmt #1 or you don't want to wait, try finding some meguiars 205 somewhere near you. My local auto zone and advanced auto parts carries it.

Swole
07-06-2012, 01:19 AM
If I were to get the Megs 205, what pad would you suggest? I just have what the kit came with. Black/gray, white and orange. Is there a better combo for this process? I've read a lot of people like the Megs 205 with like a 105? Should I just try a Megs combo with a certain pad (s)?

I finished the entire car with the black/gray pad first applying the XMT Swirl remover 2, followed with the glaze also on the black pad. Looks a lot better, especially when it's in the natural light. When I get under the lights in the garage or a flashlight I can see the smaller imperfections.

Thanks you guys for the input so far, I appreciate it.

Chase.Barnett
07-06-2012, 01:41 AM
105 is the aggressive polish, 205 is the less aggressive product that compliments 105.

Basically, I think you just need to go over your first product with something less aggressive on a less aggressive pad. I was saying 205 because it's easy to find and it gets amazing reviews for being a "finer" polish. Personally, I would start on a white pad and see what the results are.
If you can wait, I would just order XMT #1 since it will compliment the products that you already have. After #1, you can apply a glaze or go straight to your sealant or wax (which ever you are using)

Is it just swirls you are trying to remove? Upload some pics if you can to show what you are trying to remove. I'm no expert (my limited knowledge is what I have gained by hanging around here and watching videos and reading the past few weeks to research my own purchase), but there are plenty of other people here that are much more knowledgeable than me that can probably provide better ideas.

Remember if you plan on using a sealant and a wax, apply the sealant first and let it cure (I hear 12 hours or over night is a good amount of time). Your caranuba will go over your sealant.