PDA

View Full Version : Grit Guard ? Update

rdfkentucky
07-04-2012, 01:08 PM
After doing some more checking I found that the Orange Bucket from Home Depot works perfect for the grit guard, it fits tight on the bottom of the bucket. Also here is some information on the 5 Gal buckets.

Home Depot - MFG by Leak Tite, 70 mil, measures 10-1/4" across the bottom.

Orielly's - MFG by Argee Corp, 75 mil, Measures 10-1/2"

Tractor Supply - MFG by Letica, Measures 10-3/8"

Advance Auto, Lowe's - MFG by Encore Plastics, 70 mil, Measures 9-7/8". This buckets have a taper in them so they stack better.

Also a 3-1/2 gallon bucket - MFG by Encore Plastics, Measures 10-3/16".

So if you like the Grit Guard not moving, Look for buckets made by Leak Tite.

fr0mastaj
07-04-2012, 01:24 PM
I used Lowe's buckets (by Encore) myself, and they fit the grit guards perfectly. I also have AAP ones and are too narrow on the bottom... Might want to update that!

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Has anyone ever done a study about how effective grit guard is vs. the 2 bucket method? After buying a home depot bucket and grit guard w/shipping, we're talking $20. 2 buckets at wally world was $3 and change. <scratches head>

bmwgalore
07-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Has anyone ever done a study about how effective grit guard is vs. the 2 bucket method?

The 2 bucket method requires a grit guard in the rinse bucket (but not necessarily in the soapy water bucket)...
Not sure I understand your question.

rider9195
07-04-2012, 06:57 PM
I have the HD bucket and you do have to hold the grit guard with your other hand or else it spins. But it isn't a big deal.

Ed, when my car is really dirty and I rub my wash media on the grit guard dirt does down and it does not rise back up. When you are done with the wash scoop the suds out and look at all the dirt in the bottom of the bucket. Personally I use the HD bucket for the car wash solution with about 3 gallons of water in it. Then I have another bucket filled with water that is wide at the top, but gets more narrow at the bottom. So the grit guard doesn't sit all the way at the bottom of the bucket. I feel like this helps because your wash media is farther away from the dirt at the bottom and has less of a chance of picking up the dirt.

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Do people actually let their cars get that dirty? Are they going off-roading? I guess I'm a little bit anal about my car and if someone so much as farts near it, I hose it down. I never give the dirt a chance to build up. For my car, I'm not going to obsess with a grit guard.

However, I may consider one when doing someone elses.

Detail-Impressions
07-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Firehouse Subs sells their pickle buckets for a couple bucks.
Grit Guard is tight in these buckets.
Money from the bucket sales goes to charity.

rider9195
07-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Do people actually let their cars get that dirty? Are they going off-roading? I guess I'm a little bit anal about my car and if someone so much as farts near it, I hose it down. I never give the dirt a chance to build up. For my car, I'm not going to obsess with a grit guard.

For me my car sits outside all the time. So all the dirt, pollen, rain, and grime get on the paint within a day or two. Then when I was in school I have little to no time to wash my car. So it might be dirty for a good month or two. For how much a grit guard costs it doesn't hurt it get one. Just a personal preference pretty much.

jtk
07-04-2012, 07:47 PM
I got my buckets at Menard's, 2 for $5. Grit Guard fits fine without spinning.

Y2KSVT
07-04-2012, 08:24 PM

How do you propose getting the dirt(grit) out of your wash sponge after you wash each panel? That's what the grit guard does.

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-04-2012, 08:47 PM
How do you propose getting the dirt(grit) out of your wash sponge after you wash each panel? That's what the grit guard does.
I use a MF mitt. I have been blasting the washmitt with a high pressure hose, then into a rinse bucket, then the wash bucket. I highly doubt any dirt is getting back onto the paint.

And secondly, as a test, all I did one day was thoroughly rinse with no washing with soap or touching and then clayed it. The clay still looked new when done. You tell me how worried I should be about my own car. But to be honest, I had a mirror shine on it already, so most of the time all I have to do is rinse with water and then use a leaf blower to dry to make it look perfect. Soap is only a once in a while thing.

But I believe that water blasting a mf sponge/mitt will relieve it of 99.9% of dirt. Does it waste more water? Sure. Does it take a little bit longer? Sure. But I believe it works. That being said, I will probably wind up getting a grit guard because I don't expect everyone to have such a dirt-phobic car like mine.

rcramie
07-04-2012, 09:27 PM
The added insurance of the grit guards can't hurt. My meguair grit guards fit perfect in my orange HD buckets great combo.

SilverHawk
07-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Put the grit guard into a Lowe's bucket nice and snug.

Webb
07-05-2012, 06:57 PM
That's what I have Home Depot fit perfectly,no need to buy the AG for 4X more,unless you like the stickers.:dblthumb2: