PDA

View Full Version : Lake Country CCS vs Flats....

Newdetailer1
07-03-2012, 06:02 PM
I know its been discussed a few times, but I've been using the CCS pads since the beginning and I would like to try the flats. What can I expect in terms of how different the cut is? Pad charging? Longevity? Anything else anyone wants to mention. How do the colors of the CCS pads correlate to the flats? Do the same rules apply here for the 5.5's vs 6.5's also along the lines of 5.5's being easier to control and possibly better for correction? Thanks guys

rider9195
07-03-2012, 06:06 PM
I have found the flats much easier to control on small body panels and they don't seem to wear out as quick as the CCS pads do.

RhetoricMixes
07-03-2012, 06:33 PM
I know its been discussed a few times, but I've been using the CCS pads since the beginning and I would like to try the flats. What can I expect in terms of how different the cut is? Pad charging? Longevity? Anything else anyone wants to mention. How do the colors of the CCS pads correlate to the flats? Do the same rules apply here for the 5.5's vs 6.5's also along the lines of 5.5's being easier to control and possibly better for correction? Thanks guys

I ran into the same problem as you and just received some Hydro tech and flat pads to test against my CCS's that ive used since i got into detailing. As far as cut is concerned its supposed to be the same from either but you will get a tad more working surface area with the flats. Also the colors are all the same between the flats and CCS.

sparty
07-03-2012, 06:37 PM
For me the pad preference is based upon the polish I will be using. Normally I go flat with DAT polishes and CCS with SMAT polishes. I have yet to try the hydros - they are in my cart, waiting for a sale.

-Sparty

Kaban
07-03-2012, 09:38 PM
i cant stand ccs pads. flat feel so much better both rotary and da. if you got a rotary, ccs pads are horrible and should not be considered altogether. they are somewhat bearable on a da, but fall way behind flat pads imo. i got like 12 orange ccs pads if you want them ill sell them to you for 2 dollars per pad. all brand new.

SonOfOC
07-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Could not agree more! CCS are the worst in the Lake Country family.
They suck compared to the flats, Hydrotechs, and hybrids.

i cant stand ccs pads. flat feel so much better both rotary and da. if you got a rotary, ccs pads are horrible and should not be considered altogether. they are somewhat bearable on a da, but fall way behind flat pads imo. i got like 12 orange ccs pads if you want them ill sell them to you for 2 dollars per pad. all brand new.

Buckskincolt
07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Could not agree more! CCS are the worst in the Lake Country family.
They suck compared to the flats, Hydrotechs, and hybrids.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs011.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)
Could not agree more!

olbear1962
07-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Great thread guys, I have to agree with my limited experience I haven't enjoyed the CCS pads, I do like the flat pads, am yet to try Hydrotech's, read nothing but good reports..

mhphoto
07-03-2012, 10:46 PM
For me the pad preference is based upon the polish I will be using. Normally I go flat with DAT polishes and CCS with SMAT polishes. I have yet to try the hydros - they are in my cart, waiting for a sale.

-Sparty

Sorry for my ignorance (still getting a grasp on all of this :buffing: ), but what do DAT and SMAT stand for?

Buckskincolt
07-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Sorry for my ignorance (still getting a grasp on all of this :buffing: ), but what do DAT and SMAT stand for?
What's the difference between DAT and SMAT

SMAT - Super Micro Abrasives Technology
DAT - Diminishing Abrasives Technology

DAT - Diminishing Abrasives Technology
Diminishing Abrasives are a category of abrasives that actually break down, pulverize and disintegrate into nothingness as you work them against the paint.

For example, a diminishing abrasive will start out a certain size and/or shape, then under pressure over time as they are worked against the paint they will actually breakdown or break apart. This means they start out aggressive and thus aggressively abrading the paint, as they are worked under pressure over time they begin to break down and as they breakdown their aggressiveness level is reduced to the point that when correctly worked they are completely broken down and all you have left is a mixture of spent or used-up diminishing abrasives and the carrying agent or base they were embodied in to start with. There's also a certain amount of removed paint in this resulting mixture.

SMAT - Super Micro Abrasives Technology
Super Micro Abrasives are as the name states microscopic in size and do not break down like diminishing abrasives. While they may not breakdown like a diminishing abrasive, there does come a point where there effectiveness falls off in performance, my guess is that this is a cumulative effect of the base formula they are embodied in dissipates while particles of removed paint build up in the residue adulterating or diluting their effectiveness.

Just to note, this same adulterating or diluting effect takes place with any abrasive product because as the abrasive remove small particles of paint, these small particle of paint join into the mixture thus changing the ratio or percentage of abrasives to the base formula.

What's the practical difference?
The biggest difference that I can share is this, with diminishing abrasive technology you MUST work the product until the abrasives have completely broken down to insure you don't leave any swirls in the paint. The reason for this is because if you stop buffing before the abrasives have completely broken down then they are still cutting or abrading the paint, thus leaving swirls in the paint.

This isn't really a problem because most diminishing abrasive products when used correctly will break down over a normal buffing cycle, (period of time and number of passes), to sufficiently break the abrasives down. It's usually only an issue for people new to car detailing who are learning as they go.

With Super Micro Abrasive Technology, theoretically, because the abrasives don't break down, or more specifically because the abrasives don't break down like diminishing abrasives break down, you can stop anywhere in the buffing cycle without leaving swirls caused by the abrasives. This would tend to make SMAT products more "Bubba-Proof" with an easier or more flat learning curve.

Copied from Mike P's. Article!

mhphoto
07-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks!

6supersport7
07-04-2012, 12:06 AM
I guess I am one of the few that likes the CCS over the flats and the HT pads. I use a rotary mostly though and I can tell a big difference in heat build up when using them. The CCS does not heat the panel nearly as much as the flats or HTs.