PDA

View Full Version : Best way to appply glaze on a new car.

Pages : [1] 2

Johny B
07-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Hello experts,
I have bought Meguiars #7 mirror glaze and reading artcles from different members it seems that this product is not easy to remove.I just read recently in Mike's articles saying that it is suitable to let the glaze dry on the car for 24 hours and then remove it.
Here are my questions: Is the above time is correct as other members said that a period of 30 minutes is ok.?
Can I apply it with my PC polisher and is the CSS blue pad recommended for the application and use microfiber bonnets to polish it?
After polishing it I was planning to apply Meguias XNT 2.0 wax over the glaze.(I have 3 bottles on hand)
As I do not have a garage I will rent one for a couple of days supposing this period of time will be sufficient enough.Of course I will wash my car (Sante Fe 2012 bought two months ago) using the two buckets method and make sure it is very clean before using the glaze.
Thanks for your answers.

rider9195
07-03-2012, 03:46 PM
#7 is really meant for single stage paints. Go with a glaze from the Poorboys or Chemical Guys line.

NickZ28
07-03-2012, 03:50 PM
#7 is really meant for single stage paints. Go with a glaze from the Poorboys or Chemical Guys line.
:iagree:

Meticulous-Detail
07-03-2012, 05:10 PM
+3 I like CG Glossworkz glaze. NXT will look great but it doesn't last. For a car parked outside DG 105 or Collonite 845 would be better.

Johny B
07-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Thank you guys for your advices. Concerning the #7 Meguiars mirror glaze could you please clarify this:The rich emollients and nourishing oils in #7 Show Car Glaze produce a very deep, heavy mirror-gloss shine. #7 is safe to use on all paints and clear coats.(autogeek description)

Best regards.

Flash Gordon
07-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Why are you using a glaze?

Johny B
07-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Hi Flash Gordon,

Apparently glaze application will add dramatic depth and gloss that makes the paint look very deep. I'm a newbie so before doing the work I need advices from you the experts.
Thanks again.

Flash Gordon
07-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi Flash Gordon,

Apparently glaze application will add dramatic depth and gloss that makes the paint look very deep. I'm a newbie so before doing the work I need advices from you the experts.
Thanks again.

You've been reading the internet to much. Glaze is made to cover up crappy workmanship. I personaly don't own any glazes

They (glazes) also 'wash out' after the first wash and then your stuck looking at crappy workmanship again

Is your car swirled up? Maybe a wax/sealant is more along the lines of what you're looking for if you are looking for gloss?

Johny B
07-03-2012, 10:12 PM
No swirls detected to date. I use Meguiars XNT 2.0 wax and the results are great. I tought glaze would add gloss.
Thanks

Meticulous-Detail
07-03-2012, 10:18 PM
IMO glazes have their place in detailing. Thin clear coats and quick car show prep would be 2 scenarios that come to mind.

I enter a ton of car shows, my car is corrected and protected but when I don't have time to prep the car for a show I will glaze it. My Buds do this also. Quick, easy and looks awesome for the judges.

In your case, 12 Hyundai Sante Fe parked outside, my suggestions do a decon (Dawn) wash, clay, polish (Menzerna or Megs) and sealant (DG 105 or C 845 or Ultima Paint Guard). Then maintain with wash and spray wax/sealant (DG Aquawax or Megs D156).

Skip the glaze or do it before you seal and after polish if you want to use it.

Flash Gordon
07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
No swirls detected to date. I Meguiars XNT 2.0 wax and the results are great. I tought glaze would improve gloss.
Thanks

I think you'll find more gloss in a wax IMO

Flash Gordon
07-03-2012, 10:22 PM
i

m

o

You should look into the Duragloss line of products

davidc11291
07-03-2012, 10:54 PM
IMO, Meg's #7 (and all glazed for that matter) is used for 1 of 2 purposes. Either to restore dull, dry non-clearcoat paints, or to cover up swirls and holograms left by a crappy buffing job (like Flash was saying). Try using Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. You can find it at many auto parts stores or Walmart. It will remove ultra fine swirls and polish your paint to a mirror like finish, thereby enhancing gloss. After that, top with a coat of wax. You mentioned using a Porter Cable. If you have that machine, definitely use it to polish the paint, paired with a polishing pad. Expect to go through approx 4 polishing pads on your vehicle. Mike Phillips has many great videos and articles about how to care for a vehicle. You can find a list of them in a link in his signature. Find them and spend some time studying them. Accept that you won't be able to achieve perfection when just starting out learning how to machine polish a vehicle, but you will be able to get your car looking better than 99% of the cars on the road.

davidc11291
07-03-2012, 10:58 PM
In your case, 12 Hyundai Sante Fe parked outside, my suggestions do a decon (Dawn) wash, clay, polish (Menzerna or Megs) and sealant (DG 105 or C 845 or Ultima Paint Guard). Then maintain with wash and spray wax/sealant (DG Aquawax or Megs D156).

Skip the glaze or do it before you seal and after polish if you want to use it.

Good advice

olbear1962
07-04-2012, 02:05 AM
Good advice guys - "inyadreams" & "Flash Gordon"
Another fan of Duragloss products.