PDA

View Full Version : Layered sealants, wax, and clay

chall3forty
04-03-2007, 08:37 PM
73 Dodge Challenger with dark silver metalic clear coat. Spring of 06 I clayed, applied Klasse AIO, 3 layers of Klasse HGS, 2 layers P21S. The car is always garaged. Probably in the sun for about 24 hours total last summer (yes I need to drive it more). I don't see the need to relayer everything. How much will the clay take off? Should I put another layer of Klasse HGS on or just some more P21S? All comments welcomed.
Thanks.

TjMonsen5
04-03-2007, 09:28 PM
well if you only drove it 24 hours total you shouldnt even need to clay it! I would just put one coat of HGS and add on a new coat of wax.

chall3forty
04-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Will the HGS be going over the old wax, or will it be removing the old wax while its being applied? Are there any issues with putting HGS on a waxed surface?

Nuke33
04-03-2007, 10:30 PM
The old wax may have evaperated over that amount of time but im not sure

supercharged
04-04-2007, 05:26 AM
73 Dodge Challenger with dark silver metalic clear coat. Spring of 06 I clayed, applied Klasse AIO, 3 layers of Klasse HGS, 2 layers P21S. The car is always garaged. Probably in the sun for about 24 hours total last summer (yes I need to drive it more). I don't see the need to relayer everything. How much will the clay take off? Should I put another layer of Klasse HGS on or just some more P21S? All comments welcomed.
Thanks.
I would start over.

Clay---AIO---SGx2---wax.

P21s isn't a durable wax, but for best results you might want to prep paint with AIO.

Good luck and post some pics.

sparkie
04-04-2007, 07:34 PM
I would start over.

Clay---AIO---SGx2---wax.

P21s isn't a durable wax, but for best results you might want to prep paint with AIO.

Good luck and post some pics.
:iagree: :iagree:

FloridaNative
04-04-2007, 08:35 PM
If it hasn't been driven, claying shouldn't be necessary. You can do the clay test by putting your hand inside of a plastic sandwich type bag and then rub your fingertips over the paint (clean of course) through the bag. If you feel gritty particles, then you need to clay, if not, you're golden without it. :)

If you are going to start all over again you could just use your AIO to remove what's on there now, and then reapply your sealant and wax. :)

Happy detailing. :)

Jimmie
04-04-2007, 09:11 PM
If it hasn't been driven, claying shouldn't be necessary. You can do the clay test by putting your hand inside of a plastic sandwich type bag and then rub your fingertips over the paint (clean of course) through the bag. If you feel gritty particles, then you need to clay, if not, you're golden without it. :)

If you are going to start all over again you could just use your AIO to remove what's on there now, and then reapply your sealant and wax. :)

Happy detailing. :)

:iagree: AIO to clean and then reapply SG and wax.

Gary Sword
04-04-2007, 09:23 PM

I never heard of the plastic sandwich bay trick before. I always just feel the paint with my hand as washing. I'll have to try it and see how it feels.

chall3forty
04-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. Never heard that sandwich bag thing either. Gonna give that a try.

Black Diamond
04-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Just be sure you wash the car first. You don't want any grit on it when you use the plastic bag.

tonyspop
04-05-2007, 11:26 PM
I never heard of the plastic sandwich bay trick before. I always just feel the paint with my hand as washing. I'll have to try it and see how it feels.Let me have the sandwich before you try:D