PDA

View Full Version : hard vs soft wax?

oldgeek
07-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Dodo Juice goes to great lengths to define their waxes as either hard or soft. None of the other manufacturers of fine wax make such a distinction. From what I've read, it seams that hard wax goes on thinner but lasts longer and soft wax goes on thicker but doesn't last as long.

Is all this a Dodo Juice gimmick? or is there a significant difference.

Can somebody who has experience a variety of waxes including the Dodo Juice products characterize some of the other vendor's products as either hard or soft? For example, would one consider Fuzion a hard wax or a soft wax?

Mike Phillips
07-03-2012, 08:24 AM
There's actually a term called,

Heavy Wax

Has something to do with heavy molecules. I have something written on this either here or on MOL

M16 is a Heavy Wax and it's also a hard wax and a wax you want to apply using a super thin coat or it will break your arm trying to remove it.

Have other hot project to tackle today so no time to look for any related info today and will be off for vacation till next Monday...

But there "can" be real technical differences between soft waxes, hard waxes and what I call goopy waxes because the consistency of the wax is somewhat like Goop Hand Cleaner.

Good question...

:xyxthumbs:

mwoolfso
07-03-2012, 08:38 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/39807-has-anybody-used-dodo-wax-like.html

mwoolfso
07-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Hard waxes tend to have an edge on durability and soft waxes tend to have an edge on looks (or depth). I will tend to layer a soft wax over a hard wax to get the best bang for the buck since I want both.

Dodo states soft waxes can be applied thicker than hard waxes. Others say hard waxes are tougher to apply by hand. Personally, I never saw much difference with the Dodo line and enjoy the work out on my fingers and hands with my Diamond White Hard and Light Fantastic Soft.

rcramie
07-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Hard waxes tend to have an edge on durability and soft waxes tend to have an edge on looks (or depth). I will tend to layer a soft wax over a hard wax to get the best bang for the buck since I want both.

Dodo states soft waxes can be applied thicker than hard waxes. Others say hard waxes are tougher to apply by hand. Personally, I never saw much difference with the Dodo line and enjoy the work out on my fingers and hands with my Diamond White Hard and Light Fantastic Soft.

Ill start a thread if I need to but you have experience with DWH and LFS. I am looking in to trying the DoDo line on my grabber blue and those two look like the best choice. Can you recommend one of those or maybe a different one I looked over.

Sent from my MB860 using AG Online

brawl
07-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Hard waxes tend to have an edge on durability

TW Hard is an exception to this.

HellDemon
07-04-2012, 10:20 AM
TW Hard is an exception to this.

HA! Well played :)

FUNX650
07-04-2012, 10:48 AM
There's actually a term called,

Heavy Wax

Has something to do with heavy molecules.

Wonder if this is akin to the differences between 'regular-water' (H2O) molecules, and "heavy-water" molecules??

But there "can" be real technical differences between soft waxes, hard waxes and what I call goopy waxes

My assumption is that the:
Chemists/formulators know exactly how much of a given chemical, whether it's to be used as a 'solvent', a "carrier", etc. that will imbue the:
Hard/soft/goopy characteristics of a wax...And, furthermore: As so designated, and ordered-up, by their 'Bosses'

Usually has to do with ease of: application/removal processes; and, for what is perceived for each "targeted-market", IMHO.

:)

Bob

Beavis
07-04-2012, 10:49 AM
I think some questions are getting kinda personal...LOL..This would be a question for the ladies

Happy 4th everyone