PDA

View Full Version : OPT Poliseal seperation... Won't remix

Da Fats
07-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Well I went to go refill my poli-seal and found this.

It is a 2 year old gallon. I made a point to shake it up every month or two to try to keep it mixed up.

In case the pic didn't upload from my phone it is a 1/2 full gallon of poli-seal with what looks like 2 inches of liquid wax in tiny clump like grannules at the bottom and 3 inches of light Orange liquid on top.
No matter how much I shake it up it will not mix back together. This was kept in the A/C all its life... What caused this seperation? Any help or anyone else experience this with poli-seal?

Thanks
Chris

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Setec Astronomy
07-03-2012, 06:57 AM
It seems to be a fact of life that products will separate like this. Although the old, old solvent-based stuff seems to last almost forever, the newer more water-based products seem to not. I also store my products in "perfect" conditions, but have had this happen, also.

It does seem that the Optimum products of the vintage you have are more prone to degradation than most (they seem to have changed something since then). My holy grail used to be to find a product I liked and buy it by the gallon to reduce my unit cost. Chris@Optimum says that you shouldn't buy more product than you will use in a year or two, which is why they package in sizes from 8 oz. up to gallons...and after accumulating so much product, I have to say I agree with him.

An interesting sidebar about this is a few things have changed in the last 5-10 years, which may have an effect on longevity of products. The first is the VOC restrictions, which forced some products off the market, and forced others to use less/different solvents (and/or more water and water-based ingredients). It's also been noted that the packaging has had to be changed--for recyclability and to reduce the volume of plastic used; this perhaps means thinner bottles of different plastics, which may increase the permeability and allow more loss of product components from within the bottle and more penetration of oxygen and moisture from outside the bottle.

Chris Thomas
07-03-2012, 09:34 AM
You can try pouring the liquid into another container, shaking the Poliseal, and as it becomes reconstituted add the liquid back a little at a time.

Perfections
07-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Shake it for like 5 minutes straight. Mine wasn't coming back together but then all of a sudden it's started to after some crazy prolonged shaking :)

embolism
07-03-2012, 01:28 PM
if you have an old paint can, pour it in there then take it to the paint store and ask them to put it into their paint can shaker. If that doesn't do it then nothing will...

Beerwulf76
07-05-2012, 01:29 PM
if you have an old paint can, pour it in there then take it to the paint store and ask them to put it into their paint can shaker. If that doesn't do it then nothing will...

+1 :iagree:

embolism
07-05-2012, 01:44 PM
if you're worried about contamination, then I think you can also buy clean cans from the big box stores (I've seen gallon sizes but they may have pints too).

I don't think the staff are allowed to machine-shake containers other than paint cans...

conthedon
08-12-2012, 06:24 AM
i had a 2 yr old 32oz bottle with maybe 12 or so oz left, I'm used to shaking it periodically during the year vertically for a short time and it would remix, but it was really separated recently. I found shaking up and down, or rather shaking while holding the bottle horizontally (like youre lifting weights) helped it mix faster (although still had to shake for a long time). After it mixed the product only stayed together for a handful of minutes. But I had somewhat recently bought (maybe a month ago) a bottle of another 32oz poli seal bottle. So I put a small amount (1/2-1 oz) of the new poli seal in a squeeze bottle. After I got the old poli seal mixed in its original container I transferred it into the squeeze bottle (that had 1/2oz+ new poli seal) shook it a couple times, and it has stayed together, back to brand new.

BobbyG
08-12-2012, 06:46 AM

What a great idea!! :props:

Da Fats
08-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Mine ended up in the trash.... I shaked like crazy on all directions.... Got fed up... Pitched it :( it will ne missed

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

oldmodman
08-14-2012, 03:32 AM

That's what I did. I have a box of brand new paint cans, both quart and half gallon and my local OSH will shake them for me if it isn't a weekend or during a big sale.

And the funny thing is, the product has not separated again in six months. :bowdown:

DJBAILEY
09-28-2012, 02:51 AM
I have had quart size bottles of OPT Hyper compound and Polish II sepreate on me that would not blend back together no matter how much shaking I did.

Paul Mitchell
09-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Mine actually thickened up and no matter how much it was shaken it didn't thin. Here's the reply to an e-mail sent to Dr. G. I followed his instructions and it worked great. This might work for you as well. I believe I had the 32 oz. size.

"Thank you for your email and using the Optimum Car Care products. Poli-Seal gets thicker over time as the solvents evaporate from the bottle. You can just add 1-2 oz. of paint thinner/mineral spirits or some opti-Seal to your bottle to thin down the product. Please let me know if this helps your product or not. Thanks again. "