PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Weight on Aluminum Wheel

Pages : [1] 2

clm65
07-03-2012, 05:51 AM
I recently had a tire replaced on my truck. I didn't look closely at it when I picked it up, so I didn't notice right away, but they ended up putting a balancing weight on the outside of the wheel. (By outside I mean on the side of the wheel that you see). Before I take it back and demand that they correct it, I wanted some opinions. Am I wrong to demand that they move it to the "hidden" side of the wheel? Is there some technical reason to put a weight on the outside? If there are any scratches on the aluminum wheel, should they replace it at their cost? BTW, it is a 2010 F150 Lariat with the optional 20" wheels.

rider9195
07-03-2012, 06:12 AM
There is nothing wrong with what they did. When they balance the tire the the machine tells them how much weight they need to put on, what spot to place it on and whether that is on the outside of the rim or inside is up to the machine really.

BobbyG
07-03-2012, 06:19 AM
Hi Craig,

If common sense dictated more of what we do then the weight would already be on the inside. Did you specify in advance that the weights were on the inside of the wheel and not the show side?

The reason I ask is; I was having new tires put on and specifically asked not to have the weights put on the outside of the wheel, it said so on the order slip. When I returned and saw this I brought the manager out and asked him why....they fixed the problem.

They certainly can do it but I'm afraid you may already have scratches.

Were the original wheel weights on the outside?

You might have to contact your insurance company otherwise or pressure the sales manager of the store where the work was done...

Setec Astronomy
07-03-2012, 06:28 AM
As rider9195 noted, they did this to get the best balance. They can put all the weights on the inside but it usually results in using more weight (the object is always to balance the wheel/tire using the least amount of added weight).

A good tire shop will use stick-on weights on the inside close to the mounting plane.

clm65
07-03-2012, 07:39 AM
There is nothing wrong with what they did. When they balance the tire the the machine tells them how much weight they need to put on, what spot to place it on and whether that is on the outside of the rim or inside is up to the machine really.

I knew the machine told them where to put the weight as far as azimuth, but I didn't realize it told them inside or outside. Dang.

Setec Astronomy
07-03-2012, 07:42 AM
I knew the machine told them where to put the weight as far as azimuth, but I didn't realize it told them inside or outside. Dang.

Usually there is one on the inside, and one on the outside.

clm65
07-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Hi Craig,

If common sense dictated more of what we do then the weight would already be on the inside. Did you specify in advance that the weights were on the inside of the wheel and not the show side?

The reason I ask is; I was having new tires put on and specifically asked not to have the weights put on the outside of the wheel, it said so on the order slip. When I returned and saw this I brought the manager out and asked him why....they fixed the problem.

They certainly can do it but I'm afraid you may already have scratches.

Were the original wheel weights on the outside?

You might have to contact your insurance company otherwise or pressure the sales manager of the store where the work was done...

Unfortunately I did not specify which side to put the weights. The other three wheels, and previously this wheel, have their weights on the inside. I assumed this was standard for aluminum wheels. Shame on me. Looks like fixing it will most likely be at my cost.

rider9195
07-03-2012, 07:53 AM

Yeah. As Sectec mentioned, they could have used stick on weights on the outer part of the barrel instead of what they did put on.

vet
07-03-2012, 08:04 AM
I specify the weights go on the inside. The chrome wheels on the wife's Pacifica rusted because weights cracked the chrome. I got them replaced under warrenty, and told them to put the weights on the inside only, and they wouldn't do it, because they said it wouldn't be covered if they did. I know I was being fed a line, but ...

Yes, the new wheels are chewed up on the outside, even though I had the weights put on the inside when the tires were rotated.

Setec Astronomy
07-03-2012, 08:06 AM
I specify the weights go on the inside. The chrome wheels on the wife's Pacifica rusted because weights cracked the chrome. I got them replaced under warrenty, and told them to put the weights on the inside only, and they wouldn't do it, because they said it wouldn't be covered if they did. I know I was being fed a line, but ...

Yes, the new wheels are chewed up on the outside, even though I had the weights put on the inside when the tires were rotated.

And this is why I drive 40 minutes to a tire shop I can trust...

LSwut
07-03-2012, 08:14 AM
I would definitely take it back. A good tire shop will not only put their weights on the inside but they can also hide and stack them behind the spokes. My tire shop did all 4 of my wheels like that without having to ask.

vet
07-03-2012, 08:23 AM
And this is why I drive 40 minutes to a tire shop I can trust...

I also do this, but the dealer was in town, and I was stuck. I even told them not to balance the tires, but got the same line. Of course, they wouldn't let me take the rims and have them switched out at the tire place, I tried all that.

On my new F-150, the weights are on the inside from the factory.

Once, I got a new tire on the Pacifica that didn't need any weights, believe it or not.

Mike Phillips
07-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Hmm.... wonder if it will make much of a difference on these...

http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/NewMagProject01.jpg

:D

07gtcs
07-03-2012, 10:26 AM
If you ask nice the tire shop may re-balace the tire for you with the weights on the inside of the rim. Having done this when I was a teen, they can use the type that "clamp" to the rim on the inside, or they can use the "tape on" type that go on the barrell of the wheel. Pro's and con's to both type of wheel weights and to having the weights on just the inside vs both sides. In any future work, specify the type of balance you want and they type of wieghts you want. Then the operator of the maching knows how to program the balancing maching.

clm65
07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Hmm.... wonder if it will make much of a difference on these...

http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/NewMagProject01.jpg

:D

Mike,

You must have taken that to a quality tire shop, as I do not see any balancing weights on this side of the wheel. And since they are probably 10 lb dumbells, they would be quite obvious.

Craig