PDA

View Full Version : Good Order to do Daily Drivers

icyman61
07-01-2012, 05:13 PM
I am a newbie and I have been reading extensively, but still have some questions on products to buy. I am looking for the best prodcuts to use on my daily drivers, but want them protected. I know ill have to clay one time before I use a sealant, but would like to know what you all think are the best products avialable as of July 1, 2012. I was looking at the following

1. A good wash
2. I have some Mequiers Clay
3 Mequiers ultimate compound
4 blackfire crystal seal or Klasse
5 a wax to put over it if neccessary.

Then I would like to know the best way to keep them looking great afterwards
Maybe
1. Wash
2. wax
3. or detailer

I appreciate any answers, and I know I have tried to read allot of the articles here but I am overwelmed with information, so I am asking for your pro help in choosing some of these products.

John

goldenlight
07-01-2012, 05:43 PM
You have to find what works for you. For ex I use Meguiars products because That's what works for me.

You have the correct steps down. Now you have to find your favorite products.

I believe. Advance auto parts is having a sale on Meguiars ultimate wash and wax for $7.99. I never used this product before but hey its on sale.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

hoyt66
07-01-2012, 05:55 PM
I am a newbie and I have been reading extensively, but still have some questions on products to buy. I am looking for the best prodcuts to use on my daily drivers, but want them protected. I know ill have to clay one time before I use a sealant, but would like to know what you all think are the best products avialable as of July 1, 2012. I was looking at the following

1. A good wash
2. I have some Mequiers Clay
3 Mequiers ultimate compound
4 blackfire crystal seal or Klasse
5 a wax to put over it if neccessary.

Then I would like to know the best way to keep them looking great afterwards
Maybe
1. Wash
2. wax
3. or detailer

I appreciate any answers, and I know I have tried to read allot of the articles here but I am overwelmed with information, so I am asking for your pro help in choosing some of these products.

John

My theory on daily drivers is to seal everything. Paint and plastic trim. That way when you don't have time to detail your ride it at least protected. You are right though... you

have to prep the paint before sealing. Paint prep is everything. Keep reading. There are some talented ppl on this site . I'm sure they'll check in here.

rider9195
07-01-2012, 06:09 PM
I am assuming you are doing this all by hand? If so I would get something to follow up the ultimate compound then. Ultimate Polish would work.

I wash, clay, polish, seal, wax, and then maintain.

For wash I use DG901 and Blackfire Shampoo. Both great products!

I clay with Pinnacle Poly Clay and use Finish Kare 425 as a lubricant.

For polishing I use something like Menzerna 106FA that has some correction ability and leaves great gloss. But if you have no swirls in your paint you can use a non abrasive paint cleaner such as Wolfgang Paint Work Polish Enhancer or Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish.

I seal the paint with Blackfire Wet Diamond. Which is personally the easiest sealant to work with.

Then for waxing, I top BFWD with Midnight Sun. But if you are looking for a less expensive option get some DP Max Wax.

For maintenance you can wash then follow with a spray wax such as DG Aquawax it XMT 360 Spray Wax.

Bill1234
07-01-2012, 06:30 PM
good job with the steps. here is what I use

Wash Meguiars gold class
wax number 26 by meguiars
tire shine Meguiars hot shine
wheel cleaner- MOTHERS all wheel and tire and strong brushes
compound m105 or ultimate compound
APC simple green

I also use a rigid shop vac for the interior messes

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-01-2012, 07:46 PM
I am assuming you are doing this all by hand?
In that case, the OP had better be young and in good shape.
;)

glen e
07-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Agreed about doing it by hand....but this is almost what I do on my DD:

Daily driver detail
1. If needed, Clay with ONR lube
2. Blackfire Total Polish and Seal on an orbital with green CCS pad- this leaves almost no haze
3. Remove with BF poly spray or just buff off by hand
4. Blackfire crystal seal or BF Wet Diamond..Crystal seal is the fastest, no buff at all
5. Blackfire carnuba spray wax or poly spray after weekly washes-use meiguirs gold class shampoo after detailing, before the detail, ONCE use dawn dish washing soap to start clean.

Done , BF spreads so easily it's a treat to work with....

icyman61
07-04-2012, 02:43 AM
Hey I appreciate all the input. I am going to try some of the blackfire products after reading these, and the descriptions of products. The blackfire wet diamond as my seal, still wondering about just my polish, I have some swirls on my 2000 vehicles, paint needs some correction, but hey they arent 100, 000 dollar vehicles, but they are mine! LOL
I have been reading about the polishes, whats good applicators for these products, hand polishing towels etc? ty again
John

BobbyG
07-04-2012, 07:22 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online John! :props:

Basic steps in order are:

Wash
Clay
Paint Correction & Polish
Seal
Wax

How to maintain a freshly waxed car (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/40056-how-maintain-freshly-waxed-car.html)

Mike Phillips has written some great articles so click on the link below then browse through them until you come across something that peaks your interest!

Articles by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html)

brawl
07-04-2012, 07:49 AM
If I were you and I am on a tight budget, I will get Duragloss 901 for washing. Then buy Mother's Clay Kit, Mother's Step 1 and a Collinite Wax. Those product will remove bonded contaminants, clean the paint and protect it. Then I STRONGLY advise you to save money for a DA polisher, lot of pads and polishes (M105/M205 or UC + SwirlX will do). I'll be worth the wait and money. Polishing by hand is torturing.

Alvin
07-04-2012, 07:57 AM
I would have to agree with BobbyG. articles by Mike Phillips are very informative he is the man in the know. I still read his articles from time to time.

icyman61
07-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Ok so Blackfire crystal seal or BF Wet Diamond which one gives a better shine and lasts the longest?