PDA

View Full Version : Surbuf pads+m105 need help ASAP!

Pages : [1] 2

NiSyam
06-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Hell everyone,

I just received my first surbuf pad. Im experiencing some issues when combined with m105, please take a look:

http://i49.tinypic.com/mmxuns.jpg

it seems like m105 is cooking on the paint. I've tried using 3 tiny drops but still get the same issue.

Plz help!

rider9195
06-30-2012, 07:51 PM
This combo is very aggressive. What you are seeing is some major micro marring. You need to use a less aggressive pad and product. What other pads and products do you have?

NiSyam
06-30-2012, 07:54 PM
well i dont think its micro marring... why? because i spent like a min removing the m105 with a mf and ipa. I had to put los of pressure as well.

i have ccs orange pads and isp.

timaishu
06-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Try using a white pad and 205. Or orange with 205 and see if it clears it up.

alko
06-30-2012, 07:59 PM
That paint looks REALLY soft. Pretty much how my soft Acura paint was after I used Meg's MF discs with D300. It actually looks like you wet sanded the paint. Try the orange CCS with M105. Have a spray bottle with just plain water in it to "reactivate" the polish as you work it. Prime your pad first and then apply 3-4 pea size drops. In other words, google the kevin brown method.

rider9195
06-30-2012, 08:02 PM
well i dont think its micro marring... why? because i spent like a min removing the m105 with a mf and ipa. I had to put los of pressure as well.

i have ccs orange pads and isp.

With the combination of lots of pressure, dried up M105, and IPA which has no lubricants, this can cause micro marring. But as Alex suggested as well, try the M105 with an orange CCS pad.

NiSyam
06-30-2012, 08:11 PM
thanks guys

ill try using orange and m105. i usually use that combo and have really good results but this paint is in really rough shape...

eaglefan
06-30-2012, 10:32 PM
I have used the is combo a lot. Although I have not perfected the exact science of using the surbuf and 105, here is where I am.
1. Primimg the pad can be to much. Lightly moist the pad with 105 or you have major sling.
2. There comes a time when using this combo that you get into a ZONE. Speed, product, arm speed and preesure all work perfect together, No dust. Eazy wipe up
3. On some cars I havefound that more speed less pressure is what works Let the pad do the work. back off pressure

Flash Gordon
07-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Step down to an orange pad with 105 and that will clear it right up. That one area (circle) concerns me abit

It looks like you sanded with 4000 ;)

tuscarora dave
07-01-2012, 07:54 AM
I assume that the circle in the photo is where the OP has removed the 105 residue with the IPA. I have a few thoughts, concerns and observations about the photo. My first thought is what does the condition of the paint look like where you removed the residue? Has the correction been achieved? In other words, has the 105/surbuf combo removed the defects that you were wanting to remove? If so, put the 105 back on the shelf. If you have achieved the defect removal you wouldn't want to remove even more clear by using 105 again on the hood.

An observation is that the entire hood has this 105 residue all over it. This says to me that you are using the entire hood as a work section when you really should be working in a maximum 24 inch squared section and removing any residue immediately after shutting the polisher off. Another observation is that the amount of 105 left behind on your hood suggests that you are either using too much product on the pad, or you aren't working it long enough. Either way, your pad was most likely hyper lubricated with the 105 and you probably weren't getting anywhere near the correction that you could be getting. You really should be working in a smaller section and should continue to work the product until it goes nearly clear on the paint (about 4 or 5 slow section passes) if you do this, you'll get much better correction, much less haze left behind and there will be very little 105 residue left behind to wipe off. My best guess by looking at the photo is that once you remove the excessive 105 residue, you'll see that you didn't remove nearly the paint defects that you thought would/should be removed.

tuscarora dave
07-01-2012, 08:40 AM
While this is being done with the Meg's 6" MF cutting discs and not Surbuf, the results could be similar. This is an 07 Honda Accord that's in my shop now. I snapped this shot to show how well the MF cutting disc is finishing with M-105 on soft black paint with the right amount of product and working time, (about 4 or 5 slow section passes) there was very little residue left behind in the compounded area and removal of it was a breeze.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/IMG_20120630_130323.jpg

Flash Gordon
07-01-2012, 11:54 AM
That looks great Dave!

What does the owner use to wash, a rake?

tuscarora dave
07-01-2012, 03:02 PM
That looks great Dave!

What does the owner use to wash, a rake?
There's a slight haze there but the finish is really nice for a cutting pad and M-105 only. A real quick pass with 205 and a foam finishing pad knocks that haze out easily.

The owner is a bit preoccupied on an unwanted vacation and needs some money for when he comes back down state so he asked one of my regular clients to sell it for him while he's gone. Kind of looks like he's been using the green scrubbies on it. There was a spot on the rear fender where someone buffed clean into the primer with a rotary. Who knows where this thing has been? It's coming out nicely though.

truckbutt
07-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Dave,
Thanks for the tips on using M105. :xyxthumbs:

NiSyam
07-01-2012, 08:08 PM
The circle is where i stopped my pc!

I believe that when i primed my pad i added to much product (really different from regular foam pads). Surbuf pads seem to be thinner and tend to use less product than the regular foam pads.

Long story short I had to remove a clear bra on a 200 boxter. After fighting with it for almost 4 hrs it came out but left a lot of scratches ( i guess this part was my fault) since i used a plastic razor blade to remove the bra and left over glue.

Here are some of the pictures

http://i48.tinypic.com/14b3ned.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2hqb391.jpg

Anyway I had to wet sand the whole area. Ended up using my makita + wool pad and m105 to remove any remaining sanding marks.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2qc2ss8.jpg

Thanks to everyone for trying to help :)