PDA

View Full Version : Audi RS4 & Opti-Seal

Pages : [1] 2

Anthony Orosco
04-02-2007, 11:56 PM
This is an 01 silver RS4 with a V6 Bi-Turbo, very cool car with very hard paint!! I'm so thankful I don't do too many Audi's.

It was raining when I started this detail so I have no exterior before pics but only exterior after pics.

I corrected the paint using Hi-Temps Heavy Duty compound (top hood only), Optimum Hyper and Polish and the topped it with a single coat of Opti-Seal.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f42/uZa/ARS4rear.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f42/uZa/AudiHood.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f42/uZa/Audiwagon.jpg

You can go here for a fuller write up and more pictures, AudiRS4 & Opti-Seal - Optimum Forum (http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=127)

Thanks for viewing,
Anthony

William H. Bonney
04-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Can you put OS over a numba and a sealant>

Nuke33
04-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Looks good

Anthony Orosco
04-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Can you put OS over a numba and a sealant>

In my testing I had applied OS over a paste wax and also over another sealant with no problems. I also applied a wax over OS with no ill effects.

Anthony

6LS2
04-03-2007, 12:55 AM
when your detailing a car with a clear coat harder then my right biscep ( :) ), what do you do? spend more time on it, use a stronger pad + polish combo? because I'm doing a Merc this Friday and I've heard that they have hard clears

R1DC2
04-03-2007, 01:48 AM
thats car is awesome!

ScottB
04-03-2007, 05:48 AM
time line on Optiseal ???

Anthony Orosco
04-03-2007, 08:24 AM
when your detailing a car with a clear coat harder then my right biscep ( :) ), what do you do? spend more time on it, use a stronger pad + polish combo? because I'm doing a Merc this Friday and I've heard that they have hard clears

Your Mercedes detail may or may not have the Ceramaclear. You can check the paint code sticker and if it has a "C" before the paint name then it's a Ceramaclear.

Menzerna makes a polish designed for those paints.

What I did with the Audi is just lower my rpm's and spend more time buffing, making sure not to get the paint too hot. An orange pad with Optimum Hyper worked nicely at around 1100 rpms.

As far as time line for the OS....last I spoke with David the labels were approved and should now be printing or printing very soon so I am hoping within a week or so.

Thanks for the compliments,
Anthony

k20z3kid
04-03-2007, 12:11 PM
ahhh i want to try this optiseal stuff so badly.

ORC
04-03-2007, 04:40 PM
I think your car looks nice.

sparkie
04-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Anthony, you do awesome work. What is your process for the door jam? Sometimes I hit them with my pressure washer. I'm looking for a better way. Thanks for posting.

Kelso
04-03-2007, 09:00 PM
sick i love rs4's!!! you did a great job on the detail as well, but that car is just so ...Mmm haha

Anthony Orosco
04-03-2007, 09:57 PM
First, thanks for the kind words. I know I say that alot but I really do apreciate the feedback, both negative and positive, regarding my work as it helps me to continue seeking to improve. So again thanks for the comments.

Anthony, you do awesome work. What is your process for the door jam? Sometimes I hit them with my pressure washer. I'm looking for a better way. Thanks for posting.

I do jams one of two ways. On many details I go straight to a No Rinse wash and then begin to correct the paint as best I can. I usually don't do the wheels, wheel wells and tires until all my rotary work is done.

I'll then take the car to the wash area, spray the wheels, tires and clean those areas all up. I'll also do the engine area if called for. Just before I wash the car down I'll open the doors and spray the jams with a light degreaser. Close the doors and then spray the door line areas with water from the pressure washer, bottom to top and the top to bottom. You should be able to visually see the grime running out. Continue with your wash and then dry the car as usual and wipe the door jams out well.

My second method is to use my steam vapor cleaner along with some mf's and degreaser. Spray the degreaser, allow to dwell and then hit it with my steamer, from the bottom to the top.

The reason you want to go from bottom to top rather than top to bottom is that going from top to bottom causes the bottom area to be diluted with the running water. Starting on the bottom first allows the degreaser to work completely. Same idea with wheels and tires.

Hope this helps,
Anthony

sparkie
04-03-2007, 10:08 PM
First, thanks for the kind words. I know I say that alot but I really do apreciate the feedback, both negative and positive, regarding my work as it helps me to continue seeking to improve. So again thanks for the comments.

I do jams one of two ways. On many details I go straight to a No Rinse wash and then begin to correct the paint as best I can. I usually don't do the wheels, wheel wells and tires until all my rotary work is done.

I'll then take the car to the wash area, spray the wheels, tires and clean those areas all up. I'll also do the engine area if called for. Just before I wash the car down I'll open the doors and spray the jams with a light degreaser. Close the doors and then spray the door line areas with water from the pressure washer, bottom to top and the top to bottom. You should be able to visually see the grime running out. Continue with your wash and then dry the car as usual and wipe the door jams out well.

My second method is to use my steam vapor cleaner along with some mf's and degreaser. Spray the degreaser, allow to dwell and then hit it with my steamer, from the bottom to the top.

The reason you want to go from bottom to top rather than top to bottom is that going from top to bottom causes the bottom area to be diluted with the running water. Starting on the bottom first allows the degreaser to work completely. Same idea with wheels and tires.

Hope this helps,
Anthony

Anthony, thank you very much, this dose help. I never thought about doing that way.
"Just before I wash the car down I'll open the doors and spray the jams with a light degreaser. Close the doors and then spray the door line areas with water from the pressure washer, bottom to top and the top to bottom. You should be able to visually see the grime running out. Continue with your wash and then dry the car as usual and wipe the door jams out well."
I'm planning on doing this! I learn something new every day. Thanks for the great tips.

Kelso
04-03-2007, 11:01 PM
FWIW, i usually wipe them down afterwards with a QD for added gloss, but that is a good method of cleaning