PDA

View Full Version : clear coat fracturing/cracking?

timaishu
06-29-2012, 06:42 PM
I searched around but I could not figure out what this is. My friend brought over his newly aquired 2002 Mazda Protege5. My intent was to do a swirl removal for him but this stopped me in my tracks. I found two spots like this on the hood. I didnt look over the rest of the car though.

I do not see any signs of normal clearcoat failure. The paint looks fine to me other than severe swirling, holograms and this. The paint is black metallic and it is clearcoated.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/covertmission/Detailing%20Stuff/P1030709.jpg

Infinitiman
06-29-2012, 06:58 PM
That looks like etching from bird poo from where it sat to long, some as little as 10 minutes under the right condition per Mike Phillips article on bird etching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RoadRageDetail
06-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Acid etching in the clear. Most likely caused by a bird that saw your car as a target, as mentioned above.

You can TRY to sand it out, but I wouldn't, you're better off doing a heavy cut followed by polishing and LSP. Might still be noticeable but you'll smooth it out and help keep it from getting worse. Left unattended, and the cracking often will continue until it starts chipping.

Webb
06-30-2012, 08:15 AM
That looks like etching from bird poo from where it sat to long, some as little as 10 minutes under the right condition per Mike Phillips article on bird etching.

10 minutes ? I removed one from my car that was over 12 hours under hot sun,no damage...So why 10 minutes ? Would a seagull be different than a pigeon or something ?

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
06-30-2012, 08:20 AM
10 minutes ? I removed one from my car that was over 12 hours under hot sun,no damage...So why 10 minutes ? Would a seagull be different than a pigeon or something ?

Really depends on what the bird ate.....

Infinitiman
06-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Here is the article by Mike

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/30535-how-long-does-take-bird-dropping-etch-paint.html

timaishu
06-30-2012, 11:09 AM
I knew birdcrap could cause damage. But I didnt know it could be this bad.