PDA

View Full Version : What may I ask am I doing wrong now ?

Pages : [1] 2

Largebore
06-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Worked many hours last night a door of my jet black car.
[1] wash
[2] clay bar
[3] Menz Powergloss
[4] Eraser
[5] Menz Super Intensive
[6] Eraser
[7] Menz Nano
[8] Eraser
[9] Menz PO85RD
[10] Eraser
[11] Black Hole
[12] Soveregn

Today I see little blooms of grey haze about the size of a quarter. I wipe them off and they dissapear, then they come back somewhere else. Wipe with mircrofiber again and some new mark appears..

too much..... maybe i can get some silver spraypaint and just paint over the black

truckbutt
06-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Worked many hours last night a door of my jet black car.
[1] wash
[2] clay bar
[3] Menz Powergloss
[4] Eraser
[5] Menz Super Intensive
[6] Eraser
[7] Menz Nano
[8] Eraser
[9] Menz PO85RD
[10] Eraser
[11] Black Hole
[12] Soveregn

Today I see little blooms of grey haze about the size of a quarter. I wipe them off and they dissapear, then they come back somewhere else. Wipe with mircrofiber again and some new mark appears..

too much..... maybe i can get some silver spraypaint and just paint over the black
There is no reason to do so many cleanings. Just once before your glaze/LSP. I don't know how the oils in Souveran are interacting with the BHG.

Largebore
06-29-2012, 01:16 PM
There is no reason to do so many cleanings. Just once before your glaze/LSP. I don't know how the oils in Souveran are interacting with the BHG.

i was cleaning to check the work on a ton of scratches..
I have a mirrorlike finish over the scratches.. but they do not go away either..

I am running for the worlds worst detailer award.

embolism
06-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Menz 106FA and PO85rd also finish out the same so don't know why you are using both

powergloss huh? Did your paint really need that much work?

Rsurfer
06-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Try cleaning with Eraser and then inspect for the haze. If it's gone, you will know that it's your lsp.

Largebore
06-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Menz 106FA and PO85rd also finish out the same so don't know why you are using both

powergloss huh? Did your paint really need that much work?

Alot of scratches.. I used Super Intensive, eraser and was able to see many many scratches....

I had thought that 106FA started out more aggresive and then finished the same so that it was a good idea to use as an intermediary step ?

truckbutt
06-29-2012, 01:21 PM
i was cleaning to check the work on a ton of scratches..
I have a mirrorlike finish over the scratches.. but they do not go away either..

I am running for the worlds worst detailer award.
That's the benefit of doing a 16x16 Test Area. Do what it takes to get that small area perfect. You don't move on until you get what you feel will be accepatble for the entire car. Some scratches may be too deep to fix. Then use that technique on the entire car minus all the wipedowns.

Rsurfer
06-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Are you using a DA? If so, might be time to use some mf pads.
Alot of scratches.. I used Super Intensive, eraser and was able to see many many scratches....

I had thought that 106FA started out more aggresive and then finished the same so that it was a good idea to use as an intermediary step ?

Largebore
06-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Are you using a DA? If so, might be time to use some mf pads.

Yes.. I have tried the meg system.. it was ok but not that crazy about it

Rsurfer
06-29-2012, 01:27 PM
And it did not take out the scratches? You are doing something wrong for sure or the scratches are too deep to polish out.
Yes.. I have tried the meg system.. it was ok but not that crazy about it

Rsurfer
06-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Can you feel the scratches with your fingernail?

Largebore
06-29-2012, 01:30 PM
And it did not take out the scratches? You are doing something wrong for sure or the scratches are too deep to polish out.

I am guessing they are too deep. They are not rough to the touch and are below the surface of the metal... I used yellow pad, speed of 6, at least 6 slow passes and the pressure was strong. I pushed until the pad stopped spinning and then backed off unitl it would spin properly again, so that is about as much pressure as it could take.. Slow passes as well, certainly as slow as anything I have seen in the videos..

Mike Phillips
06-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Wow!

That's a lot of chemical stripping in the process...

Just to be clear, have you removed all the scratches you want to remove or are you still trying to remove scratches?

The Menzerna polishing oils leave a very dark, clear finish, the graying or lightening would be caused by something dulling the surface.

How about try re-polishing just the hood with either the SF 4000 or the SF 4500 and then skip the chemical stripping and immediately apply the Souveran, wipe it off and then wait and check to see if the problem continues.

:dunno:

Mike Phillips
06-29-2012, 01:32 PM
This is one of those times I wish I could be there in person to see what you're doing, inspect the paint and then possibly make a little tweak to your technique and get you to your goal.

:)

Rsurfer
06-29-2012, 01:33 PM
It can't be below the metal, do you mean below the clear coat? If so, a repaint is in order.

[QUOTE=Largebore;699957]I am guessing they are too deep. They are not rough to the touch and are below the surface of the metal...