PDA

View Full Version : New from IA

Pages : [1] 2

Yamasixx
06-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Hello! Just wanted to say hi from a new member here. I'm so excited to see all the interest in cleaning and detailing cars and such! All my friends think I'm a freak for how I treat my car and neighbors form years past will tell me I used to light up the neighborhood with my cars, lol. Anyways, I have a ton to learn...especially since I've never had a buffer. Truth is, I've always been afraid to use them. I look forward to "geeking" out with all of you!

rider9195
06-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Welcome to Autogeek Online! When using a dual action polisher there is nothing to be afraid about.

Largebore
06-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Welcome to Autogeek Online! When using a dual action polisher there is nothing to be afraid about.

I have heard so many times that with a DA you cannot do damage to the finish, but is that really true. I fully understand that you will not have the damage of burning thru the finish as you would with a rotary but can you not wear thru the clearcoat with aggressive pads and compounds?

Yamasixx
06-29-2012, 12:36 PM
I think I'm going to buy that Porter Cable everyone is talking about. I also heard the 5" pads are better than the 6.5" it comes with? Also, since I've always down everything by hand, what is good starter products to get with it?

swanicyouth
06-29-2012, 12:44 PM
It is possible to burn through clear coat with a DA. I did it. That being said, I was going after a scratch, using tons of pressure for a long time and an aggressive polish. Basically, if you keep the buffer moving and use common sense it's impossible. If your working an area to death going after a deep scratch it's possible. I also have gone through clear coat with my bare hands going after a scratch with the Quixx Scratch Kit. This is before I really knew anything though.

07gtcs
06-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Hello fellow Iowan! Don't worry about going to a DA, I just got mine this spring. Read and take the advice you'll get around here and you'll be fine. I thought I knew how to clean and keep my cars clean until I found this place. Now I have an entire inventory of supplies to use. Welcome.

Yamasixx
06-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Hello fellow Iowan! Don't worry about going to a DA, I just got mine this spring. Read and take the advice you'll get around here and you'll be fine. I thought I knew how to clean and keep my cars clean until I found this place. Now I have an entire inventory of supplies to use. Welcome.

Iowa and a fellow stang owner as well? Sweet! Are u an MCA member?

john b
06-30-2012, 01:04 AM
welcome.what part of iowa are you from?

Yamasixx
06-30-2012, 07:54 AM

Des Moines. You?

07gtcs
06-30-2012, 11:58 AM

Iowa and a fellow stang owner as well? Sweet! Are u an MCA member?

Not yet. Nobody has convinced me its worth it, other than if I was going to buy another Ford with the X plan.

Yamasixx
06-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Not yet. Nobody has convinced me its worth it, other than if I was going to buy another Ford with the X plan.

Boy did miss that one. Could swear your user name stood for an 07' GT California Special, lol.

Yamasixx
06-30-2012, 04:44 PM

Nevermind....I think you were speaking of the MCA. I just joined, soon shall see.

07gtcs
06-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Nevermind....I think you were speaking of the MCA. I just joined, soon shall see.

Let me know. None of the guys in my club have said much about it other than you get a monthly magazine. Yes I do have an 07 California Special in Vista Blue.

LegacyGT
06-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Des Moines. You?

Welcome fellow Iowan, and fellow Des Moines resident! :props:

Yamasixx
06-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Let me know. None of the guys in my club have said much about it other than you get a monthly magazine. Yes I do have an 07 California Special in Vista Blue.

Sweet! I have a Black 2010 GT. Love them Stangs!