PDA

View Full Version : April BMW Start Black 530i

Pages : [1] 2

Totoland Mach
04-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Started on one of the bad ones: black 530i with lots of road miles and accompanying scratches/chips/swirls.

Here's the driver's side of the front bumper...ain't pretty folks

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/Apr07_BMWs/Black530i/0407_530i_FrontBumperStart.jpg

I wet sanded the bumper to smooth out some scratches and small chips

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/Apr07_BMWs/Black530i/0407_530i_FrontBumperStart_WetSand2.jpg

Next: Used the Metabo and Meguiar's 7006 cutting pad with compound. I like the small backing plate/pad combo on plastic bumpers. Lots of control and I can check the surface temp of the plastic easier.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/Apr07_BMWs/Black530i/0407_530i_FrontBumperScratchRepair.jpg

Switched to a 8006 Meg's pad and glaze (3M + XMT mixed on the pad)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/Apr07_BMWs/Black530i/0407_530i_FrontBumperGlazed2.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/Apr07_BMWs/Black530i/0407_530i_FrontBumperCompounded2.jpg

Next up: driver side doors and rocker panels. Lots of scratches and swirls! Switched to the larger backing plate and pads because of the surface area.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/Apr07_BMWs/Black530i/0407_530i_DoorRockerBefore.jpg

The compound worked well in defect removal

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/Apr07_BMWs/Black530i/0407_530i_DoorRockerCompounded2.jpg

Pic of the doors and panels on drivers side after compounding

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/Apr07_BMWs/Black530i/0407_530i_DoorRockerCompounded.jpg

Finished driver's side with glaze. Tomorrow is hood, passenger side, trunk.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/Apr07_BMWs/Black530i/0407_530i_DoorRockersDone.jpg

The front bumper came out pretty well and took about 1.5 hours just on this plastic piece to recondition.

I'll post some pics after full glazing with 3M Ultrafina SE.

Totoland Mach

Nuke33
04-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Looks great, you had your work cut out for you

p.s. I love your shop

Jimmie
04-02-2007, 11:14 PM
You've got to be kidding. That's amazing. Thought she was a goner and you brought her back.

tonyspop
04-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Holy smokes,where were they driving that car,through cactus fields????!!!!!!Nice work Toto,work like that really shoots the $$$$$ value up.:D

AL417
04-03-2007, 06:24 AM
Your work is simply amazing. Thanks in advance for posting your progress on the cars you have lined up.

HighEndDetail
04-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Great work on the bimmer, I am jealous of your lift you get to use

Mike T
04-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Wow! Great job.

Nica
04-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Wow toto very nice turn around..question for you, isn't the Metabo to rough for plastic areas? I'm going to look into the types of pads you used. Another question, when you use the Metabo. Do you put the product on the pad or on the paint? Just wondering.

Amazing turn around and the bumper looks really good not to mention the door areas well done Toto.

Thank you for sharing my friend...oh hey you know what I found the lift you have...the cheapest I found it here in Canada is for about $2,700...I'm very temted on purchasing...very!!

Totoland Mach
04-03-2007, 10:38 AM
:D
Wow toto very nice turn around..question for you, isn't the Metabo to rough for plastic areas? I'm going to look into the types of pads you used. Another question, when you use the Metabo. Do you put the product on the pad or on the paint? Just wondering.

Amazing turn around and the bumper looks really good not to mention the door areas well done Toto.

Thank you for sharing my friend...oh hey you know what I found the lift you have...the cheapest I found it here in Canada is for about $2,700...I'm very temted on purchasing...very!!

Nica: The Metabo works better/as good as the Festool. Being a true rotary, you have to use extra care working with plastic. I've found that using the smaller pad/backing plate allows a bunch more control of the tool. Plus the Metabo is lighter and easier to handle than the DeWalt. I really like the Meguiar's 7006 pads for cutting. They are not as harsh as the 3M waffle pads we have for the DeWalt and I can work the product a lot longer. The process for plastic is: long working time, minimal heat. As far as product placement, I "prime" the pad with product and add more by applying a line of compound directly on the work area.

The lift price is probably reflecting Canadian currency exchange rates, but that's not too bad. You can do a ton of light/medium service on vehicles with that lift.

See You Folks! I gotta do more tonight and tomorrow night...Thursday, I'm checking in the hospital for a stent insertion in my human oil pump (lines are a bit clogged) :D

Jimmie
04-03-2007, 11:44 AM

Nica: The Metabo works better/as good as the Festool. Being a true rotary, you have to use extra care working with plastic. I've found that using the smaller pad/backing plate allows a bunch more control of the tool. Plus the Metabo is lighter and easier to handle than the DeWalt. I really like the Meguiar's 7006 pads for cutting. They are not as harsh as the 3M waffle pads we have for the DeWalt and I can work the product a lot longer. The process for plastic is: long working time, minimal heat. As far as product placement, I "prime" the pad with product and add more by applying a line of compound directly on the work area.

The lift price is probably reflecting Canadian currency exchange rates, but that's not too bad. You can do a ton of light/medium service on vehicles with that lift.

See You Folks! I gotta do more tonight and tomorrow night...Thursday, I'm checking in the hospital for a stent insertion in my human oil pump (lines are a bit clogged) :D

Best to you with your stent. Please check back with us as soon as you can. I'll be thinking of you until then.

Nica
04-03-2007, 12:28 PM

Thanks Toto, I got another question though..sorry..but what exactly do you mean by "I prime the pad with product and add more by applying a line of compound directly on the work area."? I just want to make sure I get it, this is what I imagine. You take some compound and you goo it on the pad make sure the pad is completely covered with compund then you put some more on the paint? Is that right? Sorry to bug so much but I want to understand this concept so I can start applying with my Metabo Feed back please .

I hope all goes well at the Hospital buddy, keep us posted hopefully everything will go smooth.

Totoland Mach
04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks Toto, I got another question though..sorry..but what exactly do you mean by "I prime the pad with product and add more by applying a line of compound directly on the work area."? I just want to make sure I get it, this is what I imagine. You take some compound and you goo it on the pad make sure the pad is completely covered with compund then you put some more on the paint? Is that right? Sorry to bug so much but I want to understand this concept so I can start applying with my Metabo Feed back please .

I hope all goes well at the Hospital buddy, keep us posted hopefully everything will go smooth.

Nica: when I "prime" a pad (especially on vertical surface work such as door sides), I just put a circular bead of compound approx 1/2 distance from center to outside edge of pad. Once that Metabo starts running, it's going to spread it evenly.

3M has a good video of rotary use and when they apply a bead to the car's surface, they angle the rotary so the product is picked up approx. 1/5" from the pad edge.

Hospital should go ok....stents are getting to be a "production line" procedure for us aged folks....they'll probably have a drive-thru procedure one day LOL.

Toto

ORC
04-03-2007, 04:36 PM
How did your car get all scratch up like that? But you did made it look good.

Truls
04-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Just love your post Toto, nomatter how bad the swirls are on the first pics, i know you get the best out off it, everytime.....

Looking forward to the next posting..

sparkie
04-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Toto, you are a master detailer. I enjoy your post.
Hope everything works out for you at the hospital, I'm sure it will be fine.