PDA

View Full Version : Letting dirty MFs sit?

Pages : [1] 2

Bigbull2984
06-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Mods you are free to move this if this is not the right section.
We have 3 cars and I usually clean the cars with Waterless wash and finish with BF poly spray. Does everyone clean there MF towels immediately?? I was going to wait till I get a full load of towels, but this mean some towels could be sitting for a month or so. I would worry about mildew building up. What are some techniques yall use or do. I have stocked up on enough MF towels to last me 2 month..

rider9195
06-28-2012, 09:12 PM
I never wait more than a week to clean my towels.

DaHen
06-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Same here. With this nice summer weather here, a week is about the limit. Meanwhile, as the towels are waiting, they are soaking in water and an all purpose cleaner.

Setec Astronomy
06-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Hang them over the edge of the bucket or the laundry basket to let them dry so they don't mildew (if they are damp). I go months and months until can do a full load.

drisaudi
06-28-2012, 10:12 PM
I built up a load which is typically 10 days. Never had a mildew problem

Blackthorn One
06-28-2012, 10:47 PM
I used to let my MFs sit for months. They have stains that have never come out. now that I wash them immediately after, they all come out as clean as new.

builthatch
06-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Hang them over the edge of the bucket or the laundry basket to let them dry so they don't mildew (if they are damp). I go months and months until can do a full load.

this is what i do, though i usually rinse and wring them out several times before letting them dry, but i let them dry first before i put them in my mf bin to be washed whenever - could be months. if there are stains, i spray Shout on them before i put them in the bin. never had an issue.

oldmodman
06-28-2012, 11:13 PM
I generally wash them by the next day.

Setec Astronomy
06-29-2012, 06:23 AM
I used to let my MFs sit for months. They have stains that have never come out. now that I wash them immediately after, they all come out as clean as new.

Yeah, that is a problem, but you do a load of wash for a handful of towels? I understand that those new-fangled washers with the "sterilize" cycle will take out those old stains.

this is what i do, though i usually rinse and wring them out several times before letting them dry, but i let them dry first before i put them in my mf bin to be washed whenever - could be months. if there are stains, i spray Shout on them before i put them in the bin. never had an issue.

Yeah, I will do some pretreatment like that also, depending. If y'all are going to wash your towels the next hour/day/week, why did we all buy so many MF towels so we could have enough to do a nice wash load? It's not because we like to hoard towels...is it??

Detail_Dude
06-29-2012, 07:22 AM
I typically line dry my towels, then put them in a 5 Gal bucket with a lid. My washes either get done when the bucket is full or after doing a major overaul (wash, clay, polish, seal, etc.)

Note...I usd to soak them in a MF cleaner for several days, until I had time to do a load of wash, but that only loosened the crud and made all of the 'cleaner' towels dirtier (more stained).

Speaking of stains, they are what they are. I consider my 'good condition' (soft, fluffy, etc.) MFs 'good for paint' despite stains which are really only an eye sore and shouldn't impact performance.

FWIW, I have a second 5 Gal bucket for terry towels and any others (even MF) which would not touch my paint (which is Jet Black and scratches when I look at it the wrong way). Point here - segregate your towels to preserve your good ones.

Blackthorn One
06-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Yeah, that is a problem, but you do a load of wash for a handful of towels? I understand that those new-fangled washers with the "sterilize" cycle will take out those old stains.

Yeah, I will do some pretreatment like that also, depending. If y'all are going to wash your towels the next hour/day/week, why did we all buy so many MF towels so we could have enough to do a nice wash load? It's not because we like to hoard towels...is it??
I confess I have done a wash with only a handful. First, I soak in a bucket with MF cleaner for a few hours, then rinse, and then I put them in the washing machine with more MF cleaner which makes them perfectly clean. I soak because I don't want my washing machine getting mucky from all that residue. 90% comes off in the bucket. I have 4 GG towels that have stains, so that they are grey and not white. over 10 years old. Other than that, are holding up well.

snowking724
06-29-2012, 05:32 PM
I have a little bin with a cover that I wait till it's full. Sometimes it takes a day, sometimes a month. Never really had a problem with stains coming out. My washer senses the size of load so no worries doing just a few towels but I have enough to go around. Also, I just used Oxi-Clean powder as a pre soak and wash detergent on some old stained pads, menzerna polishes are the worst, and it worked like a charm.

TimmyG
06-29-2012, 05:33 PM
I find myself guilty of waiting until I have a full load of microfibers. To me, it just doesn't make sense to waste all the water that my machine uses just to clean a few towels. I always wait until I have a full load and my towels still come out fantastic.

RTexasF
06-29-2012, 05:38 PM
When I detailed for a living I had to wash them every two days. Now that I don't they accumulate until I have a full bucket which will take months. They clean up just fine using Charlie's soap in the washer with an additional rinse. If any of them are just awful then the whole batch gets a soak in a bucket of Oxy & water prior to washing. Never a problem.

Bunky
06-29-2012, 06:42 PM
I find myself guilty of waiting until I have a full load of microfibers. To me, it just doesn't make sense to waste all the water that my machine uses just to clean a few towels. I always wait until I have a full load and my towels still come out fantastic.

I also tend to let some sit for some period and still seem to come clean.