PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Honda Fit Crystal Black Pearl; AIO choice

Meticulous-Detail
06-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Just wanted some opinions. I am doing a 2012 Honda Fit Crystal Black Pearl on Saturday and most of my reading suggest Honda has a soft paint. This car is an outside DD and has never been sealed or waxed. So my question is after decon. wash and clay which AIO and pad would you go with for this car?

Here are my choices:

Megs Cleaner wax then topped with 845
D151 then topped with 845 or DG 105
DG 601/501/105 Combo

Pads:
Megs MF cutting
Megs MF finishing
LC White Polishing

I am leaning towards D151 on a Megs finishing disc topped with 845 or DG 105. Reading suggest Honda paint corrects with a good AIO and finishing and polishing pad.

Thanx

truckbutt
06-28-2012, 08:20 PM
What condition is the paint in? You ask for an AIO but then your plan involves at least two steps. If you want to do two steps there are better more dedicated polishes and sealants to use. Most AIO's do not have the ability to do correction. D151 and Duragloss #501 are exceptions with D151 having more correcting ability but D151 won't last for very long, maybe 4-6 weeks.

rider9195
06-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Personally I would switch the MF finishing with a white polishing pad. Just might be a little less aggressive. But try a test spot with a couple different products if you can to see what combinations give you the best results!

Meticulous-Detail
06-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Paint is so so, not terrible but some swirls and bird stains.

D151 is great, but needs to be topped . I am going to do a test spot. Just wanted to have a game plan as Saturday is going to be 95 and I am starting early to beat the heat.

truckbutt
06-29-2012, 07:42 AM
Paint is so so, not terrible but some swirls and bird stains.

D151 is great, but needs to be topped . I am going to do a test spot. Just wanted to have a game plan as Saturday is going to be 95 and I am starting early to beat the heat.
As you have a new car with some swirls I have a few suggestions. You only want to be aggressive enough to remove the swirls. Duragloss #105 is not designed to remove swirls. #501 has some swirl removing ability. The swirl remover has the most of their product line but I've never used it. I suggest starting out on a test area with M205 on a finishing pad. If that doesn't remove the swirls switch to a polishing pad. If that does it then use that for the entire car. If that isn't sufficient, you will need to move up to M105 or something with similiar cutting ability. In that case you'll need to do a second step with M205. Then do a wipedown with Klean Strip Prep All, Dupont PrepSol, or 10% IPA followed by the sealant of your choice. #105 followed by Collinite #845 will last you 6 months.
Good luck.

FASTFRED
06-29-2012, 08:36 AM
In my expierience Honda has a very soft clear coat,
I would go least aggressive pad/ polish.

Meticulous-Detail
06-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Thanx for responses. Trying to keep # of processes down bc of price and time. Will have D151, m205 and LC polishing and finishing pads on hand, along with 845.

Meticulous-Detail
06-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Went with D151 and white LC ccs pad then topped with DG 105.

Came out nice. Had to hit the roof with 205 for swirls.

Ran into a problem once the sun hit my house. Paint was getting too hot and products were drying up very fast. Had to speed it up. Customer was happy. I need to get a tent bc the Shelby occupies the garage spot.
I got sun burn too. Took 3 hours.

Buckskincolt
06-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Went with D151 and white LC ccs pad then topped with DG 105.

Came out nice. Had to hit the roof with 205 for swirls.

Ran into a problem once the sun hit my house. Paint was getting too hot and products were drying up very fast. Had to speed it up. Customer was happy. I need to get a tent bc the Shelby occupies the garage spot.
I got sun burn too. Took 3 hours.
Pull the Shelby out and the project car in .....

Meticulous-Detail
06-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Yeah I thought about that but the car is so loud the wife and neighbors would have killed me if I started it up at 0630

txrsss
08-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Guys,

Hello...new here.

Don't mean to hijack the thread.

I have the same car in this color. And yes...the paint is horribly soft and chips easily as well. I am thinking of do a correction on my car as well. What about the Meguire's DA microfiber system with the 300/301? Has anyone used this system on the crystal black pearl Honda paint?
Thanks in advance.

Meticulous-Detail
08-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Guys,

Hello...new here.

Don't mean to hijack the thread.

I have the same car in this color. And yes...the paint is horribly soft and chips easily as well. I am thinking of do a correction on my car as well. What about the Meguire's DA microfiber system with the 300/301? Has anyone used this system on the crystal black pearl Honda paint?
Thanks in advance.

FYI Asked the same question on Meg's forum and the answer was MF might be too aggressive for this paint. If you want to try it I would start with the finishing pad and 301.

Klasse Act
08-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Got to this one late but I'd ofcoarse go with the DG line and yes, the paint is soft and chips easily, must be a Honda thing as my previous car, 2010 Fit sport in orange revolution did chip easily as well. The nice thing about soft paint though is that it corrects easily too. Just did an S2K for a guy last Monday and it came out great w/ Meg's UC, followed up by the DG line and actually finished with an extra coat of protection from Black Fire and their crystal seal, just because I was so happy with how the car tuned out and my customer is a nice guy!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

SON1C
08-25-2012, 09:43 PM
D151