PDA

View Full Version : removing wheels?

oldgeek
06-28-2012, 04:06 PM
SO... as I was sitting on the garage floor this afternoon trying to clean my wheels...
sticking the various brushes I have through the spokes, trying to reach behind the wheel,
smashing my knuckles on the damn brake calipers, etc. etc...

I was wondering if any of you professionals just put the car up on jack stands and take off
the wheels. Seems like it would be quicker. You could do a more thorough job in a more comfortable position... and you could even offer your customer free wheel rotation. :xyxthumbs:

Peanut
06-28-2012, 04:11 PM
The Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush would be perfect for you.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2213_78148133

Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush, auto detail brush, Wheel Brush, Tire Brush, Detailing Brush, Corvette brush, Mercedes brush, sport wheel brush, (http://www.autogeek.net/auto-wheel-brush.html)

rider9195
06-28-2012, 04:41 PM
I agree ^

But if the wheels are that bad I will take them off.

RoadRageDetail
06-28-2012, 04:44 PM
^^^ x 1 bazillion. I bought the combo and it works very well in tight spaces on and around calipers and tight spokes. There is also a generic lug nut cleaning tool that works good with factory wheels, bu aftermarket wheels with tight clearances, not so much.

If the customer I'm working for wants the wheels cleaned and sealed, then they are taken off and cleaned, dried, clayed/polished/sealed and there is an upcharge.

If not then I leave them on the car and the Daytona speed brushes come out. BEST wheel brushes ever.

RTexasF
06-28-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't consider myself a true professional but back when I detailed it was $25 per wheel to remove & clean them inside/out. As a rule it was not worth the money.

oldmodman
06-28-2012, 06:39 PM
I always use the two sizes of Daytona wheel brushes when working on friend;s cars.

But when I am doing my own cars I always pull the wheels off. Then after a proper cleaning I can go ahead and rotate them at the same time.