PDA

View Full Version : WRX or Mazdaspeed3

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

gibbsj87
06-28-2012, 12:51 AM
I am between a WRX and a Speed3. I live in upstate NY so winters vary. I would like your opinions on what car to get. Obviously the MS3 is cheaper but the WRX is AWD.

Let me know what you think. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

hyu
06-28-2012, 01:38 AM
What about MS6 since it's AWD? Also have you driven both of them? Which one do you prefer more?

Kaiser37
06-28-2012, 01:58 AM
"Which one do you prefer more?" Uh........

Jkc213
06-28-2012, 02:39 AM
Evo x

Meticulous-Detail
06-28-2012, 05:44 AM
Brand new or used? If used what years? Not a big fan of the current styling of both of them but like previous years.

Gretsch308
06-28-2012, 06:52 AM
I say WRX but I am kinda biased! :D

I agree with inyadreems. Need more info on what you are looking at and budget. I will still say WRX however! :laughing:

derek0609
06-28-2012, 07:06 AM
I am staying out of this one after the Maxima vs Speed3 mess, but I'll let my sig tell my answer...........:)

spardavr4
06-28-2012, 07:50 AM
Evo x

:)

Totally depends on what you are looking for. I am a bit biased, but I don't like the WRX's at all. Mostly because I think Boxer engines sound terrible, but to each his own. If you are looking for a car that can pull it's own weight very well and has a nicer interior go for the MS3. The WRX interior is crap, but I like the looks of the WRX much more than the MS3.

AWD won't be much of a difference if you know how to drive in the snow well with a FWD.

I can be corrected on this too since I'm not familiar with the modding scene on either car, but I'm assuming the WRX will have more options than the MS3 because it's a baby STI.

If it was my decision between only those 2, I would get the non-hatch WRX.

musicman66
06-28-2012, 07:52 AM
5-door WRX hands down. :-)

Sent from my ADR6300 using AG Online

onlycodered
06-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Sweet another person in upstate NY! I actually drove both a 2011 WRX and a 2009 MS3 before I got my Mustang and I have to say I definitely enjoyed the WRX much more. The AWD really helps although the MS3 is quite impressive for being FWD.

I'd say the interior of the Mazda is better although if you're looking for performance go with the WRX. Slap a nice exhaust on the WRX and it'll sound pretty sick as well. The boxer engine is the only 4-cylinder I enjoy the sound of. Unfortunately neither has that great of an exterior design although the new WRX's do have a wider body than the old ones if my memory serves me well.

Make sure you test drive one of the new V6 Mustangs though. As soon as I drove mine I was sold. There's nothing like 300+ horsies under the hood. RWD is fun as hell too. :D

Klasse Act
06-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Snow tires on the MS3 will greatly help in the snow for sure, I mean nothing beats AWD but IMO the MS3 offers a more complete package as far as performance goes.

Gretsch308
06-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Here's a pic of mine for reference on exterior styling. Interior is crap but can be made better. The Limiteds look nicer inside compared to base model IMO.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa406/gretsch308/8ddf6344.jpg?t=1338557705

gibbsj87
06-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Well, I am trying to decide what would make more sense. I love the fact that the WRX is AWD. To me that is a HUGE bonus. I hate getting stuck in snow. My Maxima right now is FWD and it's very annoying because I can hardly get up hills some days when it snows. AWD would be very helpful. I do have to admit, the Maxima does its best to keep light footed driving, feeling like light footed driving.

I am a bit of an interior snob I guess, I don't want a lackluster interior but I have heard in many reviews, the MS3 interior makes a TON of squeaks and rattles. I have driven a WRX before and I liked it, but my dealership wont let me test drive a WRX. They said I would practically have to BUY the car to test drive. People who apparently buy WRXs don't want any miles on the car.

derek0609
06-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Pic reference on the Speed3:

http://img.tapatalk.com/425759ff-bdf9-01d9.jpg

Interior Shot:

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=126&pictureid=744

The interior squeaks no more than an Chevy, Ford or Saab I have ever owned. :)

spardavr4
06-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Well, I am trying to decide what would make more sense. I love the fact that the WRX is AWD. To me that is a HUGE bonus. I hate getting stuck in snow. My Maxima right now is FWD and it's very annoying because I can hardly get up hills some days when it snows. AWD would be very helpful. I do have to admit, the Maxima does its best to keep light footed driving, feeling like light footed driving.

I am a bit of an interior snob I guess, I don't want a lackluster interior but I have heard in many reviews, the MS3 interior makes a TON of squeaks and rattles. I have driven a WRX before and I liked it, but my dealership wont let me test drive a WRX. They said I would practically have to BUY the car to test drive. People who apparently buy WRXs don't want any miles on the car.

AWD is a huge benefit, I'm actually looking forward to driving my Evo in the snow, maybe...once. I HATE SALT.

I would look to see if you can find a used WRX to test drive. It's true with dealers, when I went to buy an Evolution X, they would only let me sit in it. Even Ralliarts. Personally, when I bought my car, I know I wanted to be the ONLY person who had driven it.

As far as creaky and squeeky interior, you aren't going to have any difference in either choice. Both are based off of econoboxes and the materials they use in the interior will be the same and will squeek no matter what. If you're looking for a non-squeeking interior you will have to look at higher end cars, and even these will start to creak sooner or later. Nothing a bit of searching and pieces of felt won't fix :dblthumb2:

EDIT:Gretsch308 Great picture!!!