PDA

View Full Version : detailing lights help

wallace03
06-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Should headlights/tail lights be treated the same as paint when you are detailing? wash, ironx, clay, polished with same pad and compound as you would on your paint? in my case (d300 orange pad/m205 white pad)? also what about emblems that have coating on them? (subaru,350Z)

Thanks.

ihaveacamaro
06-27-2012, 08:41 AM
others may disagree with me, but I say if it isn't broken, don't fix it. I wash it and call it a day.

If it's oxidized or cloudy, on the other hand, time to use a buffer and then seal it.

RhetoricMixes
06-27-2012, 09:52 AM
After im done with a pad and know its not gonna touch paint again in a detail session i will use it on the headlights and tailights just to shine em up a bit. It doesnt hurt and i dont see any ill effects on my pads either doing it that way.

rcramie
06-27-2012, 10:05 AM
After im done with a pad and know its not gonna touch paint again in a detail session i will use it on the headlights and tailights just to shine em up a bit. It doesnt hurt and i dont see any ill effects on my pads either doing it that way.

In general on headlights and taillights are you using softer compounds and polishes? Does the plastic clear up easy? I have some articles bookmarked to read on the subject just trying to get time.

Sent from my MB860 using AG Online

wallace03
06-27-2012, 10:07 AM
is it necessary to buy the light renewal kits? or will the items i listed do ok?

RhetoricMixes
06-27-2012, 11:45 AM
In general on headlights and taillights are you using softer compounds and polishes? Does the plastic clear up easy? I have some articles bookmarked to read on the subject just trying to get time.

Sent from my MB860 using AG Online

No need to use softer compounds, i just use the same compounds or polish that is on the pad already. And yes it clears the light up some but it will never replace sanding the headlight down then polishing it out.

ray6
06-27-2012, 01:49 PM
is it necessary to buy the light renewal kits? or will the items i listed do ok?

Most so-called kits are just a package of common items like sandpaper, cleaners, "protectant/sealer/shine restorer/polisher/grandma's cornbread recipe, etc.

You could do far better accumilating the products you need, but make sure you use a good quality replacement protective coating when you're done.

Without a new protective coating, your beautiful restoration won't last long.
ray6