PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Coat on Metal

agpatel
06-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Has anyone used opti-coat on metal (Polished SS?) How did it work and any issues using it...looking to use it on my new exhaust tips to keep them clean and protected but dont know if it will really bond to metal well.

SonOfOC
06-26-2012, 09:14 PM
I've used on metal and it bonds and works fine. However, a exhaust tip may get too hot for OC.

drisaudi
06-26-2012, 09:46 PM
I did my wheel and exhaust tips. seems to work well so far.

FUNX650
06-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Has anyone used opti-coat on metal (Polished SS?) How did it work and any issues using it...looking to use it on my new exhaust tips to keep them clean and protected but dont know if it will really bond to metal well.

Good metal-choice on the tips. :xyxthumbs:
Good question on SS/OC bonding!

Hopefully the Good Dr./Chris will chime in; but here are a couple of my concerns about SS/OC bonding...

-Does this mean that OC will have to 'penetrate' the protective oxide passive layer that surrounds/envelopes SS, that is formed: instantaneously...whenever SS is exposed to oxygen (atmospheric 'air')...
If not: Would this oxide layer effect any of OC's 'Chemistry', or 'Characteristics'

-Must OC, then, be applied to SS in a vacuum
-If successful, in having OC bond to SS, will/would the protective oxide passive layer ever form again...If so, where.
-Will OC's 'CC paint-film protective characteristics' provide a protective-layer, comparable to, and as protective as, SS's passive oxide layer
-What is the "fracture-point" temperature of OC

Just my curiosity...

:)

Bob

agpatel
06-26-2012, 11:03 PM
I have some BF metal sealant which I have no problem using...but I also have some OC and well heck if I can use it I might as well. If it does not really bond to it because I know OC bonds to clear in a strong bond but dont know if that would happen with SS and would be no better then a regular traditional sealant.

Setec Astronomy
06-27-2012, 05:56 AM
Does this mean that OC will have to 'penetrate' the protective oxide passive layer that surrounds/envelopes SS, that is formed: instantaneously...whenever SS is exposed to oxygen (atmospheric 'air')...

Oh come on Bob--if it formed "instantaneously" no one would need to chemically passivate CRES. And what makes you think the OC has to penetrate rather than bonding on top of the passive layer?

FUNX650
06-27-2012, 07:03 AM
Oh come on Bob--if it formed "instantaneously" no one would need to chemically passivate CRES. And what makes you think the OC has to penetrate rather than bonding on top of the passive layer?

Are you saying that...After the chemical processes that has passivated CRES...that now what is called "SS" doesn't continue to passivate.

Although my words selection: penetration/instantaneously...may not be the correct
nomenclature....That really was part of my overall concerns/questions...And I see no harm in asking:

-Who can honestly say, and actually know, if OC will bond with a chromium oxide passivation layer or not.

Bob

swanicyouth
06-27-2012, 07:40 AM
I applied OC to my stainless steel sink and it didn't take. Reason unknown. I prepped it correctly.

Chris Thomas
06-27-2012, 08:32 AM
OC will bond to prepped metals including SS. However, if you use Optimum Metal Polish to prep, you will need to strip the surface afterwords to remove the sealant that's in it. Also, it will tolerate the heat from tips and brake rotors.

FUNX650
06-27-2012, 09:16 AM
OC will bond to prepped metals including SS. However, if you use Optimum Metal Polish to prep, you will need to strip the surface afterwords to remove the sealant that's in it. Also, it will tolerate the heat from tips and brake rotors.

Chris...Thanks for your informative response!

Bob

Chris Thomas
06-28-2012, 07:59 PM
You're welcome, Bob. Optimum Coatings won't oxidize either...so you won't loose anything by coating over the SS.