PDA

View Full Version : 100% not sure

Largebore
06-26-2012, 08:09 PM
I found the absolute plushest double sided polishing microfiber cloth at some Auto parts store.

I thought I found the ultimate towel, but as plush as it was it does not absorb much. I used it to buff up a sealant and the sealant kind of just smushed around on the car and stayed wet..

Then I discovered that the towel was 100% polyester.. Is 100% polyester not a good idea ?

rider9195
06-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Did you let the sealant sit on the paint long enough? It sounds like you may need to let it dry some more. I know the softer towels are made from 75/25 blend of polyester to polyamide and the more all purpose ones are 80/20.

RoadRageDetail
06-26-2012, 08:28 PM
"The blend of microfiber refers to the ratio of polyester to polyamide. Both are manmade fibers. Polyester is noted as the stronger fiber and, because of its incredible durability, there is always a higher percentage of polyester found in microfiber. Towels made with an 80/20 blend are most often multi-purpose towels because they hold up well to a wide variety of tasks."

100% polyester is not a quality microfiber product.

More info here:
Microfiber Towels Comparison Chart (http://www.autogeek.net/mfchart.html)

Largebore
06-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Did you let the sealant sit on the paint long enough? It sounds like you may need to let it dry some more. I know the softer towels are made from 75/25 blend of polyester to polyamide and the more all purpose ones are 80/20.

Sorry it was the spray spritz detailer. But I have the same problems with other liquids. I think 100% poly is no good.

wangotango
06-26-2012, 09:10 PM
As an elevator mechanic I used to pick thru the rags we would buy for the non-poly stuff. Might as well use a squeege.

rider9195
06-26-2012, 09:15 PM
I would stick with a 75/25 blend for the paint.

swanicyouth
06-26-2012, 09:48 PM

+1. The "softest" feeling isn't always the best. If you run your palm over it it should feel "picky" on your palm skin a little. If it just glides over, The towel will be almost useless. I'm not a towel expert, but I did do a bit of research. I've found I like: ones from Microfiber Tech(seem to come from same supplier AG uses for some, like the Cobra Golds), AGs Cobra Purples(600 gsm), the Cobra 5xx gsm grey towels, and the Cobra Golds.

Largebore
06-27-2012, 05:30 AM
+1. The "softest" feeling isn't always the best. If you run your palm over it it should feel "picky" on your palm skin a little. If it just glides over, The towel will be almost useless. I'm not a towel expert, but I did do a bit of research. I've found I like: ones from Microfiber Tech(seem to come from same supplier AG uses for some, like the Cobra Golds), AGs Cobra Purples(600 gsm), the Cobra 5xx gsm grey towels, and the Cobra Golds.

For sure..
I use Cobras and like them all. Recently the light blue with the rolled edge are nice.
The 100% poly was a spur of the moment, gee this looks nice pick up at the auto parts store.

I agree other than using as a soft seat cushion it is worthless.

RMM
06-27-2012, 08:42 AM

That's an excellent rule of thumb.
I don't know if AG sells it but there is a German microfiber brand, Microfiber Madness, that is excellent and their products respect that proportion.
As swanicyouth said, the towels should always feel a little bit "graby" when you pass your hand through them.

Bigbull2984
06-27-2012, 11:14 AM
For sure..
I use Cobras and like them all. Recently the light blue with the rolled edge are nice.
The 100% poly was a spur of the moment, gee this looks nice pick up at the auto parts store.

I agree other than using as a soft seat cushion it is worthless.

I know exactly what towels you bought from the parts store... Mine are used for the wheels now.