PDA

View Full Version : a few questions about ss trim and glazes

thoagland11
06-26-2012, 02:22 PM
i am working on my black 67 camaro, which has ss trim of course. i have a couple questions. for black 20 year old paint, it came out better than i thought it would. i used megs 107 followed by menzerna super finish. the car will never see rain and is always garaged so durability isnt a must.

1. for black, which glaze is a better choice? which has more fillers? i am torn between megs 7 and xmt glze.

2. it looks like when they painted it, they sanded the ss trim. i think its fixable though. i plan to get some small ccs pads and go over the trim with mothers...is there anything else that will get some small sand marks out of the trim?

3. the convertible rear plastic window is "foggy". i clayed it and hit is with some menzerna super finish and got it acceptable. any other ideas?

thank you for your time.

Vegas Transplant
06-26-2012, 03:08 PM

Diamondite® Clear Vinyl System Kit restores and cleans clear vinyl convertible top windows and marine eisenglass boat isenglass. (http://www.autogeek.net/diamondite-clear-vinyl-kit.html) . Have never tried it personally, but wished I knew of this way back when.

thoagland11
06-28-2012, 12:38 PM
thank you. any other ideas

thoagland11
06-30-2012, 11:40 PM
anyone?

edit: i used megs 105, not 107

Setec Astronomy
07-01-2012, 05:30 AM
I don't think anyone really understands your question. Is your paint single-stage or clearcoat? As far as the glaze, Meg's 7 can be difficult to work with, but I've never used the XMT Carnauba Glaze.

What do you mean by SS trim? Are you referring to some Super Sport badges on your Camaro? Or are implying some painted trim that has single stage paint on it? Or are you talking about some sort of rubber or plastic trim? When you say you are going to "go over the trim with Mother's" using some small CCS pads...what Mother's product, are you saying you are going to apply it by hand?

Kevin Cullen
07-01-2012, 09:16 AM
For the stainless, put a magnet up to it and if it sticks it is not solid stainless. Leave mothers on the shelf! How bad are the scratches ie. look like 2500 grit or 150 grit?
If you want the scratches out you may need to get some Stainless Emery Cake rouge and a medium yellow airway buff pad. Then hit it with a white or blue stainless finishing rouge with a soft loose white airway buff. You will have to tape off, use a rotory and mineral spirits as lubrication.
Metals are different than paints and need different polishes. Stainless is a hard metal and takes exrta time to get it right. Check out my picture album under chrome wheel and you will see a picture of an airway buff.

Setec Astronomy
07-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Oh...SS=stainless steel...duh! Yeah, that's going to be a job polishing scratches out of there, sorry for the confusion.

6supersport7
07-01-2012, 05:27 PM
The best way to do your stainless is to remove it and polish it. If you have never done it before it can be dangerous and difficult. You need to use a bench buffer with various rouges/emerys/etc.. There is also different cloths wheels you will need such as sewn/loose etc.. for max results. Wear gloves and a face mask. The wheel will grab the stainless in the spit of a second and take a finger or throw it at your face. Like said above you may have to do some sanding first to remove defects. SS is a very hard metal and I doubt that any combo of foam pads and paint polishes will yield any great reults. Done right your ss can look like chrome. I did all the ss on my chevelle this last winter and it turned out nice. Good Luck.