PDA

View Full Version : Leatherique

supercharged
05-17-2006, 04:42 AM
Leatherique prestine clean and rejuvenator oil is recommended for new for for older leather? How different is it from Lexol? Will it actually soften hard leather? Black leather on my brother's 1991 300 ZX is hard as a rock (looks like it was very rarely conditioned by previous owner)...Thanks in advance...

snomon1017
05-17-2006, 07:53 AM
I always used Pinnacle leather cleaner and conditioner. It was great, but there was no question that my leather seats were looking used - the usual creases, loss of grain, etc. Nothing bad but I wanted something to make them brand new, not just good. I looked on the internet and found Leatherique. The write-ups made it sound too good to be true. We all know that if it sounds too good . . . Well, I figured that if Pinnacle wasn't doing what I wanted (and bowing to the Pinnacle Gods, I was feeling blasphemous), I might just try something else.

I ordered the Leatherique from AG, massaged in the oil, and was absolutely AMAZED!!! The leather soaked up the oil like a sponge, away went the creases, and back came came the grain. Everything looked brand new! Better than I expected, better than I even hoped.

It seemed to me that the key to making things look new was the massaging. You start with the rejuvenator oil and massage by hand. The more you massage, the better the result. Not just rub, you knead it in like massaging oil on your skin. Caress . . . take your time . . . I could be accused of infidelity with the way I massaged the oil on my car.

I actually applied the oil twice . . . first application one night, leave the oil sit. Second application the next night, leave the oil sit. Cleaner on the third night. Even the cleaner seemed kinda oily but by the next morning, all traces of the oil was gone and all I could say was W O W !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This stuff was not the easiest product to use and you really do get back what you put into it. It would have been easy to just wipe on, wipe off. But if you really work with it, the results can be astounding! There have been lots of products that have impressed me but only two stand so far and away above the rest that they are in a league of their own. They are Pinnacle Souveran and Leatherique. I can't say enough about these products (though I think I already have!)

snomon1017
05-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Got carried away there. BTW, they say (whoever they may be) that Leatherique is recommended for older leather. My experience was with new(er) leather. You can use it for old and new; my guess is that it will work WONDERS for older leather. I plan to use it regularly to keep my new leather looking new. Compared to Lexol?!! There is no comparison. Like comparing a Ford GT to a Ford Model T. If you want the absolute best leather care available anywhere this side of the Milky Way, do not pass go, do not collect $200, and do not buy anything other than Leatherique!

snomon1017
05-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Weighing in again. I'm feeling guilty. Got to go Pinnacle first! My brand loyalty and loyalty to PBMA is getting the best of me. So, here's my 2 cents: try Pinnacle leather cleaner and conditioner - great products, great scent. Then, if these don't give you 100% of the results you're looking for, then go Leatherique (hint: stock up on both)

Mr. Clean
05-17-2006, 06:17 PM
I have read that using only Pristine Clean will sufficiently clean and condition top coated leather. Has anyone tried this?

ScottB
05-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Leathrique is a very, very good product for rejuvinating leather. It is overkill on brand new leather, and leather that is kept up and supple. I use it once a year, and the rest of the year I use Connolly on the Caddy and Pinnacle on the Vette.

I recently tried the Poorboys leather cleaner also. It made a nice sheen, and smelled pretty nice, but it seemed darn slippery. I prefer the slightly more natural feel with Pinnacle. (two step not the all in one version)

dennish
05-18-2006, 08:53 AM
I have some badly cracked oyster color leather seats and I have done some research on leather restoration and come across several interesting threads. I have tried several products but both of them work well on new leather neither could tackle the problems I have with these seats.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57506&highlight=leatherique+rejuvinator+oil

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58468&page=1&pp=12&highlight=leatherique

Probably going to try the Leatherique first and will document the results.

Also I have talk to a local shop and they told me that the seats could be lightly sanded and re-dye

supercharged
05-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks, guys, I will defenetely try it:) ...After all 15 year old leather shluld be rejuvenated.

FloridaNative
05-18-2006, 10:45 AM
That was a really good write up Snomon! :cheers: Cheers man!

Got carried away there. BTW, they say (whoever they may be) that Leatherique is recommended for older leather. My experience was with new(er) leather. You can use it for old and new; my guess is that it will work WONDERS for older leather. I plan to use it regularly to keep my new leather looking new. Compared to Lexol?!! There is no comparison. Like comparing a Ford GT to a Ford Model T. If you want the absolute best leather care available anywhere this side of the Milky Way, do not pass go, do not collect $200, and do not buy anything other than Leatherique!

snomon1017
05-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the kudos, FloridaNative! Not many true natives anymore. I lived in Orlando for 6 years and I don't think I met one native. Everyone was from somewhere else and was almost always en route to who knows where. I'm in North Carolina now and if there's one thing I miss, it's the Florida beaches. Been to the beach here, but its just not the same. I miss Ron Jon's in Cocoa!

And Killrwheels, you're saying overkill on this forum?!! Shall we talk about coats of Souveran over coats of sealer, over glaze, over finishing polish, over swirl remover, over, over, etc . . . I figure this is right up the alley of us OC Detailers (to borrow the call sign of another member).

ScottB
05-18-2006, 06:18 PM
And Killrwheels, you're saying overkill on this forum?!! Shall we talk about coats of Souveran over coats of sealer, over glaze, over finishing polish, over swirl remover, over, over, etc . . . I figure this is right up the alley of us OC Detailers (to borrow the call sign of another member).

Now .. now , I never said not to use it. And I actually do on both cars, but we must allow the sane detailers to remain so until the bug bites them. :awesome:

snomon1017
05-19-2006, 07:34 AM
we must allow the sane detailers to remain so until the bug bites them. :awesome:

Speaking professionally, of course, I have to agree. But what does that say about the rest of us? Do you know of any treatment programs for pathological detailers?

What would the 12 steps be?
1. We admit that we are powerless over detailing - that the appearance of our cars takes precedence over other aspects of our lives
2. We come to believe that more rational detailers than ourselves can restore us to sanity
3. We make a decision to turn over our will and our lives to the care of the detailing God (as we understand him)
4. We make a fearless and moral search of our product inventory
5. Admit to God and others the exact nature of detailing excesses
6. We ready ourselves to be open to the detailing gods to remove the defects of our character (not paint)
7. We humbly as God to remove our shortcomings (without buying more products)
8. Make a list of all those we have neglected while detailing and become willing to make amends
9. Make those amends, except where doing so would injure them or our car's finish
10. Continue to take personal inventory of our effort and our detailing products. Promptly admit when we are detailing excessively or are spending too much time and money on autogeek.com
11. Seek knowledge and understanding through study and meditation, more efficient ways to detail our cars. Praying to the detailing Gods for the power to remain rational.
12. Awaken spiritually to the power of these steps, carry them to other extra-sane detailers, and practice these principles in all other aspects of our lives.

ScottB
05-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Speaking professionally, of course, I have to agree. But what does that say about the rest of us? Do you know of any treatment programs for pathological detailers?

What would the 12 steps be?
1. We admit that we are powerless over detailing - that the appearance of our cars takes precedence over other aspects of our lives
2. We come to believe that more rational detailers than ourselves can restore us to sanity
3. We make a decision to turn over our will and our lives to the care of the detailing God (as we understand him)
4. We make a fearless and moral search of our product inventory
5. Admit to God and others the exact nature of detailing excesses
6. We ready ourselves to be open to the detailing gods to remove the defects of our character (not paint)
7. We humbly as God to remove our shortcomings (without buying more products)
8. Make a list of all those we have neglected while detailing and become willing to make amends
9. Make those amends, except where doing so would injure them or our car's finish
10. Continue to take personal inventory of our effort and our detailing products. Promptly admit when we are detailing excessively or are spending too much time and money on autogeek.com
11. Seek knowledge and understanding through study and meditation, more efficient ways to detail our cars. Praying to the detailing Gods for the power to remain rational.
12. Awaken spiritually to the power of these steps, carry them to other extra-sane detailers, and practice these principles in all other aspects of our lives.

JEN (FL NATIVE) STEP AWAY FROM THE MILK !!!! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sehrgrosse/large-smiley-012.gif

theres certain diseases I am willing to have without a cure. Detailing-aholic, sex-aholic, and rich-aholic. Well luckily I got one !!!! (Im off to get loaded on some paint polish)

FloridaNative
05-19-2006, 05:23 PM
LOL!! No worries Killr, I wasn't drinking anything while reading this time. I've learned my lesson after the second milk incident! ;)

JEN 9FL NATIVE) STEP AWAY FROM THE MILK !!!! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sehrgrosse/large-smiley-012.gif

theres certain diseases I am willing to have without a cure. Detailing-aholic, sex-aholic, and rich-aholic. Well luckily I got one !!!! (Im off to get loaded on some paint polish)

FloridaNative
05-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I'm a real native. My daughter is the 5th generation now of Floridian girls in my family. But I know what you mean, we are a rare breed. I live in South Florida near Miami and I haven't met a native down here yet.

[quote=snomon1017]Thanks for the kudos, FloridaNative! Not many true natives anymore. I lived in Orlando for 6 years and I don't think I met one native. Everyone was from somewhere else and was almost always en route to who knows where. I'm in North Carolina now and if there's one thing I miss, it's the Florida beaches. Been to the beach here, but its just not the same. I miss Ron Jon's in Cocoa!