PDA

View Full Version : Automotive tape vs. Painters tape

Toy_Cam_Ed
06-25-2012, 09:31 PM
I searched here but nothing came up. Is there a real difference? I know there is a difference in price. I found some painters tape that was like $2 something for 60yds. And it said peels off easy. Is there any real difference? I'm thinking there's not.

rider9195
06-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Not really. I have found a cheaper painters tape to not stick as well as the 3M tape does though. They all come of easily. I have found myself using less and less tape for polishing. You get to the point where you don't have to tape off everything.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-25-2012, 09:56 PM
You get to the point where you don't have to tape off everything.
I agree. I tape off only the parts I have to.

RhetoricMixes
06-25-2012, 10:37 PM
I just use the delicate surface scotch tape and it leaves barely any residue after taping off, even when left on overnight for a restoration.

BrightonRT
06-25-2012, 10:42 PM
My experience has been that the painters tape is a little tackier but not by much. The big difference is the automotive tape is a lot more flexible to allow taping around curves. In my experience anyway.

AutowerxDetailing
06-25-2012, 10:44 PM
I searched here but nothing came up. Is there a real difference? I know there is a difference in price. I found some painters tape that was like $2 something for 60yds. And it said peels off easy. Is there any real difference? I'm thinking there's not.

One is green and one is blue. :xyxthumbs:

WRAPT C5Z06
06-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Green 3M tape leaves a lot of residue behind, IME.

ShinyRex
06-25-2012, 11:23 PM
My experience has been that the painters tape is a little tackier but not by much. The big difference is the automotive tape is a lot more flexible to allow taping around curves. In my experience anyway.

Agreed, I have also had good luck with Frog brand painters tape eventhough I bought it fo rthe container :)

I also learned a valuable lesson, when in short supply don't use the old roll your buddy has in the garage (in AZ). The stuff went on fine but it took longer to remove from the trim than it did to polish the car.

Toy_Cam_Ed
06-26-2012, 01:28 AM
Agreed, I have also had good luck with Frog brand painters tape
That's what I bought because it was cheap. I guess it should be ok. Thanks for the responses.

OhTwoGT
06-26-2012, 07:46 AM
I hardly ever tape up anymore, just no point when a good wash between the compounding/polishing and LSP stages will do the job.