PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Residue on Rear Windshield

RudyQ
06-25-2012, 06:30 PM
I have a buddy that just bought a used car. On the back windshield you can see in the attached picture the sticky residue. It might look deceiving but where you see the numbers is where it is actually clean. The rest of the windshield is covered with some sticky residue that I can rub off with my finger but it would take forever. Any recommendations?

I was thinking about maybe toluene for getting something like that off glass? Would it have any adverse conditions to use toluene on glass, or does anyone have a better recommendations.

Thanks in Advance. I hope someone has seen this before.

Setec Astronomy
06-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Inside or outside? I would try something a little less aggressive like isopropyl alcohol (IPA) before I went to toluene.

RudyQ
06-25-2012, 06:43 PM
It's on the outside. Tried 70% IPA on a microfiber. Nothing. Open to any other suggestions. I don't think you can hurt it at this point. Maybe it isn't residue as much as just streaks in the glass. It's wierd. Glass looks distorted almost.

Flash Gordon
06-25-2012, 06:46 PM
It's on the outside. Tried 70% IPA on a microfiber. Nothing. Open to any other suggestions. I don't think you can hurt it at this point. Maybe it isn't residue as much as just streaks in the glass. It's wierd. Glass looks distorted almost.

Wash with straight APC and scrape with a "new" razorblade

RudyQ
06-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Wash with straight APC and scrape with a "new" razorblade

Does APC=All Purpose Cleaner? Like 409?

Misterpaul
06-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Did you try clay bar? That usually takes most everything off the glass.

Flash Gordon
06-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Does APC=All Purpose Cleaner? Like 409?

Uhh, well yea...

Be sure you rinse often. Don't let it (409) dry on the paint. Have someone there to help if necessary

Claybar should work too

rider9195
06-25-2012, 07:17 PM
+2 on the clay bar. Try a paint cleaner if that doesn't work.

FUNX650
06-25-2012, 08:26 PM
+2 on the clay bar. Try a paint cleaner if that doesn't work.

@rider9195: Good suggestion! :xyxthumbs:

Except for auto-glass 'crud cleaning'...I don't use this product too much any more on CC.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Meg_s_04HeavyCutCleaner.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/47571)

But if you want to try a test-spot:

-M#04, on a terry cloth towel, with "some passion" (~Mike P.), on a corner-area of the rear glass.
-If you notice some improvement...
Try M#04, on a foam cutting pad, by machine---rotary's best; DA will suffice.

You're not going to be removing scratches...Just cleaning off the crud.

:)

Bob

BWG707
06-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Try some Goof-Off.