PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs experts advices.

Johny B
06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Hello the experts,

I just bought a brand new 2012 Sport Santa Fe. I live in Quebec City Canada and went to an auto detailing garage but the work done is not so good.They applied a paint sealant and finished with a wax (I ignore the brand of both products) giving a poor result not forgetting the $175.00 they claimed for this poor job.Back to home I have applied Meguiar's NXt generation Tech wax 2.0 ans polish it with microfiber cloths. Can I tell you that my car was shining like a mirror so I suppose that the guys who done the previous job were money grabbers. In the future I will do the job myself but I need your help if it is not too much to ask.Needless to say that my car does not have any swirls.
I will purchase a 7424XP Pc polisher with CCSFeed back please pads and micofiber bonnets.My questions are which CCS pads should I purchase 5.5" or 6.5"?I want to apply a glaze and top it with Meguiar's NXT 2.0 ( I still have three 18 ozs bottles on hand) wax is that possible? Can I apply the glaze over the existing wax?
Thanks in advance for your advices.

BobbyG
06-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Hello and Welcome!

Congratulations and good luck with your new ride! :props:

Glazes

A true glaze is best applied when the finish is freshly washed then clayed. Glazes contain fillers which will hide minor surface imperfections. Once the glazes is dried and buffed, a wax should be applied as most glazes offer little in the way of protective properties.

Pads

All of the Porter Cable 7424 style polishes seem to perform much better when used with the 5 1/2" diameter pads.

Johny B
06-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks BobbyG. Concerning the pads should I buy a backing plate suitable for the 5.5 inches pads or the the dual action 5" hook and loop flexible backing plate would be ok.Regrading the PC polisher would it be preferable to buy the HD model having a heavy duty 16 gauge, 25 foot power cord hardwired into the polisher. The longer cord is more convenient than an extension cord and it is gauged to deliver maximum power to the polisher for safe, efficient operation...:confused: dixit autogeek.
Thanks.

embolism
06-25-2012, 02:39 PM
you use a 5 inch backing plate with 5.5 inch pads

I don't think the PC comes with a backing plate so you will need to pick one up. That plate with an attached white foam pad that comes with the PC is not good for much though some have found some use for it.

personally, I don't like bonnets. I find it easier to just fold a soft mf over twice so there are 8 clean sides to wipe with by hand.

I'd only get an HD model if you have multiple power outlets around your garage, including near the garage door. Otherwise, you might still find you need to use an extension cord and then you should have just gone with the standard model and a separate 16 gauge extension cord.

I've got an HD Griots and while I'm fine with moving the machine around to different outlets as required, I still need to bring out a short extension cord for use with my metro sidekick. Should probably have just gone with the standard model in retrospect.

Johny B
06-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Many thanks embolism. I will purchase the stanard PC polisher and use an extension cord as stated.
:thankyousign:

Johny B
06-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Many thanks embolism. I will purchase the stanard PC polisher and use an extension cord as stated.
:thankyousign:

P.S. I will use a 50 ft extension cord but could you clarify that:.As the cord gets longer, the current carrying capacity of the cord gets lower. For example, a 16 gauge extension cord less than 50 feet in length can power a 1625 watt (W) appliance. A 16 gauge cord that is longer than 50 feet in length can only power an appliance up to 1250W.