PDA

View Full Version : subi paint

timaishu
06-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Anyone have experience working on 2005 Suburu Outbacks? My moms car is filthy. I took it upon myself to wash it. While preparing all my stuff, I decided I wanted to correct her car. Or atleast amp up the gloss. It is riddled with swirls.

I first had to get all the bugs and crap off. Sprayed the car off and washed it with dawn. Then let it soak in OPC, then tarminator. Used my pinnacle bug and tar pad to get rid of the rest. Then washed it again. Clayed it and then..

I first tried poliseal on orange speed 4.5 doing 5 passes and it did absolutely nothing to the paint. Hmmmm, not going to be as easy as I was hoping. I then put a new orange pad on and used optimum compound II. And it only corrected maybe half of the swirls. I then went over it two more times to finally get it to where it is in the pictures.

I decided to try another combo. Grabbed another orange pad and used ultimate compound. It didn't do much either. Used speed 5, around 20lbs of pressure, and 6 overlapping passes.

Either my technique is slipping over this paint is hard as a rock. Any tips? The most aggressive products I have is ultimate compound and optiumum compound II. I have a small sample of m105, but I do not like that product. I am using a GG with 5.5 LC pads.

The pictures dont capture what I see very well, but it is very swirled, with birdbomb etchings and straight line scratches.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/covertmission/Detailing%20Stuff/P1030700.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/covertmission/Detailing%20Stuff/P1030697.jpg

RoadRageDetail
06-23-2012, 08:00 PM
What do you not like about 105?

Was going to be the first thing I suggested since UC didn't work that well.

timaishu
06-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Every time I use it is very hard to remove. I only have around 1.5 oz left though. Not enough to do the whole car.

ShinyRex
06-23-2012, 08:40 PM
I wish my subie paint was that tough. If i look at it sideways it causes swirls.

Sent via telepathy

Gretsch308
06-23-2012, 08:44 PM
My paint seems hard as a rock, I abused it for the first 9 months with very little swirling. I also live on dirt roads so I washed it a lot. The wrong way. 2011 WRX.

RoadRageDetail
06-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Every time I use it is very hard to remove. I only have around 1.5 oz left though. Not enough to do the whole car.

Are you using an IPA mix?

swami
06-23-2012, 09:09 PM
I have an 04 Forester and I used 105/205 with a PCXP. Car was trashed when I started, came out looking great. That's all I have for compound so it's what I used. I didn't have any problems wiping it off, maybe try some QD when doing the wipedown.:xyxthumbs:

ShinyRex
06-24-2012, 04:06 AM
My paint seems hard as a rock, I abused it for the first 9 months with very little swirling. I also live on dirt roads so I washed it a lot. The wrong way. 2011 WRX.

What color is it? I thought I was doing a good job of washing it for a long time but since the white hides everything I was wrong. Under halogens I have a lot more swirls than I thought I had.

Gretsch308
06-24-2012, 08:42 AM
What color is it? I thought I was doing a good job of washing it for a long time but since the white hides everything I was wrong. Under halogens I have a lot more swirls than I thought I had.

It's silver spark metallic.

Ryan R
06-24-2012, 01:24 PM
I would suggest spending more time with the 105 and perfecting your technique with it.
It will be well worth it.
I initially had the same problem with 105 and the two main problems I had was..
1) too much product on my pads
2) not working the product long enough
Good luck!

LegacyGT
06-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Subaru paint is pretty soft, but it can take quite a bit of experimentation to get things right. I just did an 02 WRX and the winning combination was compounding with PFW & Optimum spray compound, then polishing with Menzerna Power Finish on LC Tangerine