PDA

View Full Version : polishing diamond plate bed rails??

capnp72
06-23-2012, 10:19 AM
I have some bed rails on my truck that black powder-coated diamond plate. Can I polish these like paint? This is a great forum. :dblthumb2:

capnp72
06-25-2012, 11:50 AM
So no one here has buffed or polished anything that was powder-coated??

Attn2Detailz
06-25-2012, 12:13 PM
I have some bed rails on my truck that black powder-coated diamond plate. Can I polish these like paint? This is a great forum. :dblthumb2:

What kind of finish is the PC? If it's gloss I would say why not but don't go crazy, if it's textured like a Hammer-tone a little shine won't hurt.. Hope this helps.. :xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
06-25-2012, 12:23 PM
So no one here has buffed or polished anything that was powder-coated??

Hi capnp72,

Sorry for the late reply, I took some vacation time for family and just returned to work today.

This is just based upon my experience but powder coatings don't lend themselves well to be abraded with the end-result looking good or original. Now technology is always changing so it's possible that there are new versions of powder coatings that can be abraded and will come out looking like new or even better than new but I just haven't seen it personally.

As for doing "anything" that will make the black powder coating "LOOK" better as far as restoring a dark, natural sheen without at the same time leaving a dull or white residue you might try using products made for matte black plastic trim.

Just a shot in the dark but maybe try the Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant a try, or product like it. We used it on the flat, matte stripe, wing and louver on this 1970 Mustang Mack 1 and it worked really well.

Fast forward towards the end of the project...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbppD4opsGs]1970 Mustang Mach 1 - How to polish single stage paint by hand - YouTube[/video]

:)