PDA

View Full Version : OptiCoat and Tunnel Washes

Y2KSVT
06-22-2012, 02:02 PM
I'd say that 99.99% of the people in my area take their vehicles through the tunnel wash, if they wash their vehicles at all. It's evidently too difficult/time consuming to hand wash a vehicle anymore. With everything I've read, OptiCoat is scratch resistant, but obviously not scratch proof. The question is, how do you sell someone on OptiCoat, knowing that they're going to continue with their usual bi-weekly tunnel wash routine? Will the high alkaline soaps used in the tunnel wash, along with the "soft" brushes they use, not strip the OptiCoat?

This leads me to a second question that I'd rather not start a second thread for. If someone books a polish or paint correction with you, do you inform them of proper hand washing techniques? If so, do you do that before or after you do the work? I'd think advising them before would make them potentially rethink having the work done if they know they can't keep running it through the tunnel wash, and if you tell them after, are they typically upset that you didn't inform them prior to performing the work?

Just a couple things I've been wondering and wanted to run by the rest of you AutoGeeks.

RaskyR1
06-22-2012, 02:41 PM
I'd say that 99.99% of the people in my area take their vehicles through the tunnel wash, if they wash their vehicles at all. It's evidently too difficult/time consuming to hand wash a vehicle anymore. With everything I've read, OptiCoat is scratch resistant, but obviously not scratch proof. The question is, how do you sell someone on OptiCoat, knowing that they're going to continue with their usual bi-weekly tunnel wash routine? Will the high alkaline soaps used in the tunnel wash, along with the "soft" brushes they use, not strip the OptiCoat?

This leads me to a second question that I'd rather not start a second thread for. If someone books a polish or paint correction with you, do you inform them of proper hand washing techniques? If so, do you do that before or after you do the work? I'd think advising them before would make them potentially rethink having the work done if they know they can't keep running it through the tunnel wash, and if you tell them after, are they typically upset that you didn't inform them prior to performing the work?

Just a couple things I've been wondering and wanted to run by the rest of you AutoGeeks.

Here is a segment taken from my article on Opti-Coat....

Opti-Coat is a one component moisture cure clear coat much like a one-component moisture cure isocyanates paint. Once it is applied, just like other clear coats, there is no need to add boosters or other maintenance products to replenish it.
Opti-Coat vs. Urethane clears

Much better scratch and Mar resistance
Much better release properties (readily sheds dirt and oil)
Much better UV resistance (no yellowing over time)
Much better gloss retention
Does not oxidize (will continue to bead water and release dirt for years).

David Ghodoussi, CEO
Optimum Polymer Technologies, Inc
I can say that this product has been a blessing for me and my clients! Since I have a full-time career and only detail on the weekends, I’m often left with very little time to care for my own vehicle. Now that my vehicle is coated with Opti-Coat it stays cleaner longer, attracts less dust, shows reduced marring, makes washing and drying a snap, and best of all it frees up more time for doing other things in my life. I no longer need to spend half a day washing and waxing my car every week, not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I simply just don’t have the time anymore. I also applied Opti-Coat to my wife’s car. Her busy schedule doesn’t afford me much more than a few washes a year and I wanted to preserve the look and life of her paint as much as possible. The time-saving feature of Opti-Coat is truly a benefit and a strong selling point for many of my clients.
Most importantly, I feel Opti-Coat is revolutionary for both consumers and the detailing community. By offering this product to our clients we are, in a sense, offering a renewable clear coat, but with much better properties. I’ve been using this information to help sell Opti-Coat to my clients for a while, but it is especially important for clients with new cars sporting very thin OEM paint (80-90 microns). Even though this is a permanent coating, I really don’t try to sell it as such. Instead, I educate the customer about the product and highlight the benefits, including that future polishing will remove less OEM paint, since the majority of light swirling and marring will be in the coating. I also like to explain that Opti-Coat offers increased UV protection to replenish the small amount potentially removed during polishing.

I always educate my clients on proper washing and drying....keeping in mind that most my clientele are car enthusiasts and most are willing to put in the effort.

Y2KSVT
06-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks, Chad! Sounds like OC is a winner, even for the conventional tunnel washer.

RaskyR1
06-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks, Chad! Sounds like OC is a winner, even for the conventional tunnel washer.

Yeah, but I would be very clear with them that it will still get marred up and that they will have to have the car polished and re-coated eventually.

dougaross
06-22-2012, 03:30 PM
However, if they use a truly touchless wash if really wont affect OC.

Y2KSVT
06-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Kind of what I figured. Thanks, guys!

KneeDragr
06-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Friction is the only thing that removes it, so those washes will take it off in time. There was a guy on that UK detailing site who said OC only lasted 6 months on his clients vehicle that was washed weekly in one of those cheapo brush type tunnels.

Rsurfer
06-22-2012, 03:53 PM
But then again, it might not have been preped properly.
Friction is the only thing that removes it, so those washes will take it off in time. There was a guy on that UK detailing site who said OC only lasted 6 months on his clients vehicle that was washed weekly in one of those cheapo brush type tunnels.