PDA

View Full Version : Windex to remove polishing residue

swanicyouth
06-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Ive read where a few pros use Windex to clean off polishing oils, polishing residue, or any filler that may be in a polish to check their true polishing results. In my quest to learn
everything about detailing I'm wondering:

1) anyone here doing this
2) is it paint safe?
3) does it work well?

FUNX650
06-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Ive read where a few pros use Windex to clean off polishing oils, polishing residue, or any filler that may be in a polish to check their true polishing results. In my quest to learn
everything about detailing I'm wondering:

1) anyone here doing this
2) is it paint safe?
3) does it work well?

Glass cleaning products, having around 10% IPA in their mix, might be considered comparable to a similar 10% IPA/Water wipe-down solution.

Though, if one was so inclined to use "glass-cleaners" for: checking-the-paint-purposes...
I'll suggest those glass-cleaners packaged in a pump-dispenser to avoid 'the propellants', such as propane, that's used in the aerosol versions.

:)

Bob

bobble
06-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Did that back in the day, was a very common practice for body shop final prep to wipe down with window cleaner. But we also only had rotaries with wool pads that were closer to burlap than wool. Ah the 70's remember some of it well, not most of it :xyxthumbs:

Flash forward to today and if someone asks about a paint defect and the only thing available was windex yep I'd use it.

RhetoricMixes
06-21-2012, 03:12 PM
FWIW i just asked a similar question about this since i dont like inducing micro marring with a IPA wipedown after polishing. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/51888-let-s-talk-about-p21s-gepc.html