PDA

View Full Version : Detailing 101 ( BMW 540I )

Pages : [1] 2

OvertimeDetail
06-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Hi guys

I have a BMW 540i M sport in for an enhancement detail. Same owner of the X3 I did before, the owner was thrilled and wanted something for his daily driver. He had some concern with some RIDs and I taken care most of them for him. I also made a video upon the owner's request, so I hope you guys enjoy!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFK_a_B1ZDU]BMW 540I M-sport Enhancement Detail - YouTube[/video]

Please feel free to question and comment!
Thanks for looking!
Franki

WRAPT C5Z06
06-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Great job and great video!!!! :props:

OvertimeDetail
06-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks Mark!

Ray@Autogeek
06-21-2012, 09:24 AM
:dblthumb2:

Awesome video!!! Loved it! Thanks for sharing. Glad to see I'm not the only one who details with headphones on.

Swony
06-21-2012, 09:47 AM
OT,

Newbie here so please forgive some of these questions.

1. What tar treatment do you use and is it the same for both wheels and paint?
2. Same question for the iron treatment? What does that do?
3. What is OPC foam? Do you just let it sit there for a few minutes and then spray it off?
4. You use a lot of brushes, are they specific to each step or is there a general brush that fits most steps?
5. What is a "2BM" wash?
6. The clay lube was done on the windows 1st to prep the pad before you do the paint? What product do you use for this step?
7. What is QD, IPA, and AIO? Is there a specific brand you recommend?

Sweet work, the car looks great, and I really appreciate you sharing the video!

Swony

lobstahcookah
06-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Awesome video - great shots and editing! You did a great job of not only highlighting your talent/work but also telling a "story" about the world of detailing. Great work on the car too! That paint looked gorgeous in the after shots. :dblthumb2:

prioritymobile
06-21-2012, 01:08 PM
whats the machine , well attachment that your using to clay the windows ?

Edse30
06-21-2012, 04:38 PM
awesome video and gorgeous car. I am also wondering what tar/iron "treatments" are you using? I use Ironx and Tarx but thats getting a little expensive. Does anyone know if i can dilute them?

RhetoricMixes
06-21-2012, 04:44 PM
OT,

3. What is OPC foam? Do you just let it sit there for a few minutes and then spray it off?
4. You use a lot of brushes, are they specific to each step or is there a general brush that fits most steps?
5. What is a "2BM" wash?
6. The clay lube was done on the windows 1st to prep the pad before you do the paint? What product do you use for this step?

Swony

Some Answers below:
3. OPC stands for Optimum Power Clean - it is a product that is a all purpose cleaner that deep cleans most anything that its thrown at and its safe for many surfaces including paint.

5.2BM stands for two bucket method. You use two buckets with grit guards in them to reduce the inducing of swirls and scratches into a paints finish.

7. QD (Quick Detailer) - IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol and Water Mixture used for Prepping for wax/sealant) - AIO (All In One, usually referring to a product that will remove light swirls and have some sort of protective qualities left behind after buffing)

OvertimeDetail
06-22-2012, 01:44 AM
OT,

5. What is a "2BM" wash?

Swony

Im using stoners tarminator

removes iron particle from paint

Optimum powerclean, and yes let it dwell and rinse

I have a lot of brushes, different size for different area, different martial for more cleaning power or soft for gentle cleaning

5. What is a "2BM" wash?

two bucket meathod

Nano skin auto scrub and nanoskin clay lube

quick Detailer, alcohol , and all in one polish. No I have different AIO for different color paints, so I have lots of brands :)

BobbyG
06-22-2012, 05:08 AM
Great work Frank! :props:

I like the way the video shows all of the steps however I like the final results of the BMW much better............spectacular!! :props:

bigez
06-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Nice!!

Swony
06-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the info on my questions! Really appreciate it.
Hoping I can come close to the job you did on my cars one day!

Swony

A-train
06-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Great Vid and Nice Work! How do you like the nanoskin and how much faster is it than traditional clay?

OvertimeDetail
06-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Great Vid and Nice Work! How do you like the nanoskin and how much faster is it than traditional clay?

Thanks! Nanoskin autoscrub definitely saves time, but my 3 in melt on me on my 2nd detail, I was told that it may be caused by high temperatures and solvents on the paint

and thanks everyone for complements, I truly appreciated.