PDA

View Full Version : Using Spot Buffs with a Porter Cable

ComradeGrumbles
06-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Me again about a Porter Cable. Now I'm thinking about using Spot Buff pads with mine, since the 5.5 and 6.5 pads are too big for the majority of my panels.

Most of the side and back panels around my trim are just big enough to use a Spot Buff, but far too small for any other size pad.

Who has done this, and what considerations should I take when using such a small pad with a porter cable? I assume that the change from a large pad to a 4 inch pad must have some effect on technique. Any tips?

Thanks!

bmwgalore
06-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Been using 4" and 3.25" on my DA for a while, you just have to REALLY keep the pad flat and pay attention not to let the plate touch the paint.
And be careful with overheating too..

No secrets really, just have to be a bit more careful.

ComradeGrumbles
06-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Thank you!

One more thing, I've seen in some of the demo videos that there is some sort of extension adapter out there that lets you have the pad out from the buffer a little farther. That would definitely be a help for some of the tight areas around my trim, but I'm not sure what that extension is called, so I can't find it on the site. Have you heard of that?

Thanks again!

bmwgalore
06-20-2012, 06:59 PM
This one (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-rotary-adapter.html), it only works for rotaries, not DAs.

mg6045
06-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Just turn your speed down to around 4 or 4.5 and be sure to get the correct matching backing plate. If you run the polisher at full speed you will deform your pads quickly and they will saturate very unevenly.

Lake country has 3 and 4 inch pads now. I prefer the hydro tech foam when using small pads as they are firmer and stay together better.

remember that Lake country makes a DIFFERENT backing plate for the 3 and 4 inch pads. its not the same plate. having a smaller backing plate than the pad will eliminate the issue of hitting the car with it.

ComradeGrumbles
06-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm definitely looking into hydrotech now as well.

Thanks!

Myles

oldmodman
06-21-2012, 05:45 PM
I bought a spare backing plate and turned it down to 3.5 inches in a lathe.

Works great with 4" pads

atoy
06-21-2012, 07:37 PM
I only use 4in pads with my pcxp. Optimum mf cutting pad for correction and if there's any light marring left behind, ill follow
It it up with 4in ht crimson pads with m205, menz 106fa or sonax ntpc depending on the paint. And it's done.