PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba: better protection from bird bombs?

klumzypinoy
04-01-2007, 02:12 AM
Is it true that carnauba provides better protection from bird bombs than sealants? If so, then why?

supercharged
04-01-2007, 04:09 AM
Is it true that carnauba provides better protection from bird bombs than sealants? If so, then why?
Yes, carnauba will give you better protection from bird bombs then most sealants. Oils in carnauba are more resistant to acids found in bird droppings.
There are a couple good sealants that are durable against bird droppings too - Klasse SG, and Duragloss #105.

nick19
04-01-2007, 04:12 AM
Just carry a spay QD in a small 2oz bottle. When you spot the dropping, a quick spray or two and wipe. That's what I do.. :cheers:

ScottB
04-01-2007, 10:30 AM
I firmly believe this is the case, but cannot give the scientific explanation. I use to get hard attacked by Zaino guys when I was a user, as each time a doo-doo hit it etched the Zaino and most times the clearcoat. This meant repolishing and sometimes wet-sanding.

When I used canaubas (mostly Pinnacle) I noticed that if is sat for several hours it still came off without markings or issue. I do now however keep a small protection kit in car so no matter what I am using, its gone quickly.

HighEndDetail
04-01-2007, 10:43 AM
I firmly believe this is the case, but cannot give the scientific explanation. I use to get hard attacked by Zaino guys when I was a user, as each time a doo-doo hit it etched the Zaino and most times the clearcoat. This meant repolishing and sometimes wet-sanding.

I do now however keep a small protection kit in car so no matter what I am using, its gone quickly.

I too carry a qd spray for the bird bombs. And killer that is wierd? I have been using zaino on my vehicle for almost 5 years. And never had any etching from the bombs?? I am trying out the DP Premium Surface Shield Paint Sealant on there now. So I will see how that holds up

Surfer
04-01-2007, 11:34 AM
This is why I don't really use sealants anymore, and if I do I top witha wax. There were a few times that if bird took a crap and the vehicle sat out in the sun for hours, the poop was baked on and could have already left an etched mark (poop is acidic). With a carnauba, it sit all day and I can grab a hose and spray it off, that didn't happen with a sealant.

I've noticed no left over marking with a wax, compared to a sealant that would have like an outline etched in.

ScottB
04-01-2007, 11:43 AM
I too carry a qd spray for the bird bombs. And killer that is wierd? I have been using zaino on my vehicle for almost 5 years. And never had any etching from the bombs?? I am trying out the DP Premium Surface Shield Paint Sealant on there now. So I will see how that holds up

In all fairness, this was back in 2001 and 2002. Long before the Pro Line and CS came about. I use to use the original Z2 and always got attacked for asking why, maybe something in its makeup ??

Nuke33
04-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Just have some QD with you that will help a lot nothings perfect

sparkie
04-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Yes, carnauba will give you better protection from bird bombs then most sealants. Oils in carnauba are more resistant to acids found in bird droppings.
There are a couple good sealants that are durable against bird droppings too - Klasse SG, and Duragloss #105.
:iagree:
I've seen 105 hold up after a week. Best is to top your sealant with a good carnauba wax. Always have a QD in your vehicle so when you see it get it off.

klumzypinoy
04-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks guys. Now it's not a myth to me anymore :p.