PDA

View Full Version : 99 Yukon stock rim help!

LSUFAN
06-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Well recently I had a client ask me to detail a 99 GMC Yukon that he wanted to sell an besides the paint in the horizontal panels the trucks in excellent condition. Well to make a long story short I bought it from him for very cheap to upgrade the detail rig From the 94 z71. Figured I could put a small tank in the back an not always have to pull the trailer. http://img.tapatalk.com/c7443910-c4c9-6ccf.jpg so after a very deep cleaning, polishing an sealing she's all clean an safely under my carport until more money/time to put together a new smaller detail rig. But the rims are not in the best of shape an didn't even know where to begain with these so I thought I'm come to the pros here. http://img.tapatalk.com/c7443910-c5af-3698.jpg sorry for the phone pics but the best I could do at the moment. Any info would be much appreciated

longdx
06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
I believe these are clear coated aluminum rims. It looks from the picture that the CC is fading. There are several options: 1)take them to a rim repair shop to have the CC removed and resprayed or 2) with compounding remove the CC yourself and treat them as like any other uncoated wheel (this will ultimately be more labor intensive long term as the wheels will require metal polish and some form of actual protection)

LSUFAN
06-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Well that make since from the way they look. Wonder how much they would run to get recoated. I have aluminum fenders in my enclosed trailer an I hate when polishing day comes lol. So messy but the results are always worth it.

forrest@mothers
06-18-2012, 09:04 PM
It's about $100 per rim to strip, polish and recoat.

You may be better off looking on the 'Bay for some new takeoffs- they're about the same price.

LSUFAN
06-19-2012, 08:48 AM
It's about $100 per rim to strip, polish and recoat.

You may be better off looking on the 'Bay for some new takeoffs- they're about the same price.

Thanks for the tip!