PDA

View Full Version : coated leather, ... really?

Pages : [1] 2

oldgeek
06-18-2012, 02:12 PM
So, I bought an expensive car and paid extra for leather seating. Doing my research after the fact as usual, I discover that it is "coated leather". From what I read, 95% of all car leather these days is coated leather. That is, leather that has been surfaced with a polyurethane coating. SO, my question is...

Since the surface is not porous, does the application of a quality leather conditioner do anything at all?

Is conditioner a waste of money and would one's money be better spent with just a simple leather and vinyl cleaning product?

Porsche Pilot
06-18-2012, 02:18 PM
I have found that the creme conditioners will not penetrate the coating and attract more dust and dirt on the surface since the conditioner will not migrate into the hide. I just use 303 Aerospace and move on. Its effective, affordable and looks nice. Just my .02.

Setec Astronomy
06-18-2012, 02:19 PM
There seems to be a lot of discussion about this. Was it this forum or another where there was a woman who was a leather expert and stated that you wanted to just use water to "condition" the leather?

I also remember some discussion about conditioners etc. that would penetrate through the coating, and also about treating the leather like your paint, so to speak, by putting a protectant on top of the coating to keep the coating from getting dirty and helping the dirt release. That would be something like Ultima Interior Guard.

embolism
06-18-2012, 02:25 PM
I've been doing some research into decks recently and found out that the really hard materials like IPE and heat treated wood which normally don't accept stains, do seem to like some of the new nano-stains that are on the market. The stain molecules are apparently so small, they can migrate into the tight grain of these slow growth woods.

My point is, maybe this tech can be applied to the leather conditioning industry. If you made the molecules small enough, maybe they could penetrate the leather coating... food for thought.

swanicyouth
06-18-2012, 02:37 PM
You will get different answers from different people. Some say yes, some no. For BMW and Audi leather, those manufacturers make there own products. Its good to use a leather cleaner at least, I use Lexol. I also use the Lexol conditioner, but you have to buff it off when it dries. I also use Leather Masters Vital, which keeps it soft. When I'm done with my current stock, I'll think I'll switch all over to LM products. I think the most important thing is to keep them clean, conditioners are optional.

bmwgalore
06-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Here is a copy/paste of one of my posts on another thread:

============================
There are currently four types of automotive leather:

ANILINE (Unfinished): Found in very expensive cars (300k plus), very soft to touch and basicaly flawless. It will absorb water. Stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Expensive.

Alcantara: Found in expensive sports cars (100k plus), looks like suede. Will require very specific care and products.

Semi-Aniline/finished: the second most comom type on cars. Has a protective coat that offers a nice supple fell and protects at the same time, but it also causes the seat to get hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Won't absorb water (drop some water onto the seat to test it). Very few products will condition it properly. Will require some scrubing to remove all the gunk and body oils.

Pigmented: The cheapest one. Found in american cars, this leather has a (very) strong coat to hide the natural defects (it's cheap, remember?), therefore it won't absorb water/conditioner at all. Clean it by giving a little scrubing. Don't bother with conditioners, because it won't work.

In theory, Connolly and Leatherique are the best brands you could buy, BUT different types of leather require different products (alcantara being the most annoying to work with).

So, have you tested your leather already?
Sounds like you leather fits into the "Pigmented" category above, therefore conditioners won't work, just a basic AIO type of products is enough.

RaskyR1
06-18-2012, 03:13 PM
There is a LOT of conflicting information online between leather experts and manufacturers of leather care products on the proper care of today's coated leather in most all cars. IT'S ANNOYING!!!

Which side you choose to believe is up to you, but Judy Bass from LTT (UK based company) has been the most sincere and honest in the information she provides and based on my use of their products as well as Leather Masters, I know which side I choose to believe in. :dblthumb2:

TimmyG
06-18-2012, 03:18 PM
AFAIK, very few modern day vehicles are offered with non-coated leather. I know some of the higher end corvette models offer it - or have offered it in the past.

Honestly, I'd rather have a coated leather. In my experience, and extra layer of protection never hurts!

RaskyR1
06-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Here is a copy/paste of one of my posts on another thread:

There are currently four types of automotive leather:

ANILINE (Unfinished): Found in very expensive cars (300k plus), very soft to touch and basicaly flawless. It will absorb water. Stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Expensive.

Alcantara: Found in expensive sports cars (100k plus), looks like suede. Will require very specific care and products.

Semi-Aniline/finished: the second most comom type on cars. Has a protective coat that offers a nice supple fell and protects at the same time, but it also causes the seat to get hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Won't absorb water (drop some water onto the seat to test it). Very few products will condition it properly. Will require some scrubing to remove all the gunk and body oils.

Pigmented: The cheapest one. Found in american cars, this leather has a (very) strong coat to hide the natural defects (it's cheap, remember?), therefore it won't absorb water/conditioner at all. Clean it by giving a little scrubing. Don't bother with conditioners, because it won't work.

In theory, Connolly and Leatherique are the best brands you could buy, BUT different types of leather require different products (alcantara being the most annoying to work with).

So, have you tested your leather already?
Sounds like you leather fits into the "Pigmented" category above, therefore conditioners won't work, just a basic AIO type of products is enough.

Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethaneand has no place being associated with leather care IMO as it only adds confusion.

oldgeek
06-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Just an FYI, the car in question is a new mercedes c class, so I hope that it has at least a step above what has been described above as the cheapest leathers. I am a bit disappointed, however, it doesn't have the feel I expected as natural leather surface. Hope it grows on me over time.

Waxy
06-18-2012, 03:31 PM
So, I bought an expensive car and paid extra for leather seating. Doing my research after the fact as usual, I discover that it is "coated leather". From what I read, 95% of all car leather these days is coated leather. That is, leather that has been surfaced with a polyurethane coating. SO, my question is...

Since the surface is not porous, does the application of a quality leather conditioner do anything at all?

Is conditioner a waste of money and would one's money be better spent with just a simple leather and vinyl cleaning product?
Yes, automotive leather is coated. Read, & follow the care instructions for leather found in your owners manual. :dblthumb2:

embolism
06-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Just an FYI, the car in question is a new mercedes c class, so I hope that it has at least a step above what has been described above as the cheapest leathers. I am a bit disappointed, however, it doesn't have the feel I expected as natural leather surface. Hope it grows on me over time.

maybe it's that leatherette stuff that you get in the BMW 3 series.

That stuff doesn't even like 303 AP. I tried it on a section and it looked terrible. Just a damp mf for that puppy from now on.

rwright
06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
The client that I maintain his C300 gets a simple cleaning with LM foam and coated with Ultima Interior Guard Plus.

FUNX650
06-18-2012, 06:24 PM
There is a LOT of conflicting information online between leather experts and manufacturers of leather care products on the proper care of today's coated leather in most all cars. IT'S ANNOYING!!!

Which side you choose to believe is up to you, but Judy Bass from LTT (UK based company) has been the most sincere and honest in the information she provides and based on my use of their products as well as Leather Masters, I know which side I choose to believe in. :dblthumb2:
^^^^:goodpost::dblthumb2:^^^^

Also...Type: judyb in the "search-box' for further info.

......95% of all car leather these days is coated leather. That is, leather that has been surfaced with a polyurethane coating....

Since the surface is not porous,
^^^^^^

-Just to add something more for the discussion about "leather-types"...Have you tried the: drop-of-water-test yet?

Also...Here's a good read, if you have some time to carve out of your schedule...(like about, uh, a few hours/days, or so): :D
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/32605-opinions-using-apc-clean-leather.html

:)

Bob

Flash Gordon
06-18-2012, 08:05 PM

Nothing is going to penetrate those seats. Save your time and money. All conditioner will do is attrack dirt/dust

It is very disappointing I'm sure...