PDA

View Full Version : Water filtration - I'm a believer

Pages : [1] 2

froll
03-31-2007, 11:48 AM
I used the AG double in-line water filtration system today and I'm a believer. First of all, maybe its my imagination but with my foam gun, using the same ratio as always (2 oz DP Extreme : 6 oz water), I was able to take the mixing valve down a notch and got even MORE thick foam. Drying was MUCH easier and in fact, my Cobra WW seemed to work like when they were new. No water spots at all. One suggestion I might make is to use a double outlet valve on the faucet with another hose so you don't have to use and/or waste filtered water when washing out your supplies. Worth the investment if you got the $$.

koibybrian
03-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks for sharing. I was planning on getting the water filtration system. Now I am covinced on purchasing it.

Kelso
03-31-2007, 05:12 PM
i was given the chance to use a water deionizer a few weeks ago, and it truly left no water spots, it was amazing....i didnt need to dry the car at all. its like a 3 or 4 hundred dollar system thta hooks up to the pressure washer...im really considering getting it now because well i was skeptical before but one use and im convinced, no spots in broad daylight!

Black Diamond
03-31-2007, 06:40 PM
:Picture:

noname5
03-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Yup, you'll find that just about anything foams much better when water is softened :)

Glad to hear that, I will be picking this up... water spots are such a problem for me, even with a leafblower. With the Florida sun (or even without it), it seems that water spots already start forming a few seconds after I stop rinsing. It's so annoying.

Tex Star Detail
03-31-2007, 08:12 PM
i was given the chance to use a water deionizer a few weeks ago, and it truly left no water spots, it was amazing....i didnt need to dry the car at all. its like a 3 or 4 hundred dollar system thta hooks up to the pressure washer...im really considering getting it now because well i was skeptical before but one use and im convinced, no spots in broad daylight!

Kelso, do you have a link??????
I am looking to buy something NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Also, how many gallons can the filter AG sells "clean". I know it depends on the water, but I am looking for a ROUGH estimate.... Anyone?

sparkie
03-31-2007, 09:32 PM
I want one too!

Kelso
03-31-2007, 09:36 PM
i was supposed to go back to the customers house tomorrow but it got postponed. i dont know the brand or anything but it was these 2 cartridge looking things secured on a cart of sorts. it had to be hooked up to a pressure washer, i dont know hwy, maybe that was just his, either way it worked amazing. ill get more info and update you cause i want one too haha

Z06Mike
03-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Here' the one I use...

I just spray the car down and walk away!! Absolutley NO WATER SPOTS!!

Costco CR SPOTLESS De-ionized Water Filtration System (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11201522&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=)

CR SPOTLESS De-ionized Water Filtration System
Spot-free Rinse System;
No Drying Required

$419.99
Comes with extra resin, hoses, quick-connect clamps...everything!

http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/180790.jpg

Black Diamond
03-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Something like this (http://www.autogeek.net/deluxe-filter-system.html)?

Whitethunder46
03-31-2007, 10:03 PM
I have the single filter from AG. Ive used it twice and it works wonderfully. I get water spots on my windows, but the water is softened, so they wipe off with ease. My water is extremely hard though. All and all, definately glad I purchased this.

blaz72282
03-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Softening water will create more foaming action and less water spots, but there is still dissolved sodium in the water, so there is a chance for water spotting. This is a fact. A deionizing system removes all dissolved solids in the water and will not leave any water spots whatsoever. I actually work in the deionization field for industrial purposes, and I will say the deionization systems I've seen specifically for car washing are expensive for what they are. (I am not talking specifically about autogeek.net's products, they are softening/filter systems, not DI systems) If anyone needs more information on water filtration, including mechanical filtration, activated carbon, or softening and deionization, feel free to PM me. I have extensive knowledge in the field. All I ask Is that you be patient when waiting for a response. Thanks, -Mike

Whitethunder46
03-31-2007, 10:28 PM
Softening water will create more foaming action and less water spots, but there is still dissolved sodium in the water, so there is a chance for water spotting. This is a fact. A deionizing system removes all dissolved solids in the water and will not leave any water spots whatsoever. I actually work in the deionization field for industrial purposes, and I will say the deionization systems I've seen specifically for car washing are expensive for what they are. (I am not talking specifically about autogeek.net's products, they are softening/filter systems, not DI systems) If anyone needs more information on water filtration, including mechanical filtration, activated carbon, or softening and deionization, feel free to PM me. I have extensive knowledge in the field. All I ask Is that you be patient when waiting for a response. Thanks, -Mike

Thanks for the info!

Like I said, I still got water spots after using AG's water filter, but they cleaned up very very easy. Should this be the case? As in, this is how it should probably go?

What if I left the water spots there for a few days, would they still wipe off easy? Or do I run the risk of having permanent etching from the water? (Not that I would ever do this)

Thanks!!

blaz72282
03-31-2007, 10:45 PM
When softening water, dissolved calcium ions in the waterare replaced with sodium ions from the softening media. So the water spots you see on the surface is essentially salt. Sodium Chloride (salt)...same as table salt, same as road salt. This is more easily dissolved than calcium deposits, which is why they are easy to remove compared to "regular water spots". However, salt is corrosive, and while it is certainly not a large amount, nor is it as bad as calcium deposits, but I personally would not let a vehicle sit for an extended period of time (weeks) without cleaning the spots, or there could be some corrosion/etching of the surface. I currently use a deionization system I designed myself, and while i wont advertise on this forum, I can say that anyone intrested further can PM me. ;)
Thanks for the info!

Like I said, I still got water spots after using AG's water filter, but they cleaned up very very easy. Should this be the case? As in, this is how it should probably go?

What if I left the water spots there for a few days, would they still wipe off easy? Or do I run the risk of having permanent etching from the water? (Not that I would ever do this)

Thanks!!

Black Diamond
03-31-2007, 11:02 PM
Wouldn't a 1 micron carbon filter eliminate the salt problem?