PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions about opti-coat 2.0

Pages : [1] 2

op1001
06-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Greetings,

Long time lurker, so I finally decided to sign up after spending my money on AG :)

I have 2 questions for you guys.

Ill state my prep that I am planning to do..

1. wash car with DP xtreme foam
2. clay with my mothers kit
3. Use KLASSE AIO to polish the paint
4. Car Eraser Wipe down or IPA wipe down
5. Wash again with foam and air dry to get any other chemicals off

6. Opti- Coat 2.0

Can we use Klasse AIO before opti-coat treatment? I am not sure because it is a AIO so it has sealant properties right?

Second question.. I have read the forums with people using clear bras and opti-coat ontop of the clear bra.

Can i put opti-coat and clear bra on top of the opti-coat?

BobbyG
06-17-2012, 05:47 PM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online! :props:

1. Klasse is a quality product that cleans chemically and while it does clean and remove built up oxidation it contains no abrasives..

Washing the finish with CarPro Eraser is a great way to remove sealant, waxes, oils, and other contaminates prepping the area for Optimum Opti-Coat...

2. Are you asking is you can put a second layer of Optimum Opti-Coat on top of itself?

I'm not sure about Optimum Opti-Coat on top of clear bra because I've never done it but I see no reason why not....

SonOfOC
06-17-2012, 06:53 PM
I would not put Opticoat over Klasse, use Eraser prior to OC application.
Opticoat over clear bra is fine, unless your using the Xpel self healing film.

Old Tiger
06-17-2012, 06:54 PM
I wouldnt use Klasse AIO. I would use Optimum Polish II and wipe with a damp MF. You wont need Eraser in this case. If you want OTC try Megs Ultimate Polish and follow up with Eraser. OC is a Urethane substrate so you can apply it over a bra. If you want a bra over OC I would abrate the OC to be sure but Chris or Dr. G. can chime in. BTW Im not sure Klasse has any cut.

Chris Thomas
06-17-2012, 07:06 PM
1. don't use a AIO because you'll have to add a step to strip the sealant/wax away. Use a polish or dedicated paint cleaner depending on your needs. Like Old Tiger mentioned, our Polish II is a good choice because clean up is so easy.

2. While OC will make bonding harder for contaminants, it will not prevent adhesives from bonding. You can use it under a clear bra safely. You can also apply it over a clear bra...and it will prevent yellowing and has some restorative ability if the clear bra has been on a while.

dougaross
06-17-2012, 07:12 PM
1. don't use a AIO because you'll have to add a step to strip the sealant/wax away. Use a polish or dedicated paint cleaner depending on your needs. Like Old Tiger mentioned, our Polish II is a good choice because clean up is so easy.

2. While OC will make bonding harder for contaminants, it will not prevent adhesives from bonding. You can use it under a clear bra safely. You can also apply it over a clear bra...and it will prevent yellowing and has some restorative ability if the clear bra has been on a while.
S100 Shine Enhancing Cleanser (http://www.autogeek.net/s1shencl.html)is available from AG or your local cycle shop

Chris Thomas
06-17-2012, 07:24 PM
S100 Shine Enhancing Cleanser (http://www.autogeek.net/s1shencl.html)is available from AG or your local cycle shop

If the "shine enhancing" is polymer based, it may cause issue. I was thinking of something like Eraser or Prepsol.

Morphiusrt
06-17-2012, 07:24 PM
I was wondering about on the clear bra too.

op1001
06-17-2012, 08:06 PM
thank you so much for the answers! I appreciate it.

So optimum polish II right? of FInish POlish? do I still have to do an IPA wipe down after this step?

I will probably go this route than. My paint is in very good condition.. but would rather take the steps to make sure it is the best it can be.

If i decided to go with 8 oz. Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 , would i do a wipe down after and than opti-coat it?

Or could you skip the whole polish step and use Eraser Pro and clear the paint and than OC it?

for the clear bra I have been looking for a while about Opti-coat underneath it but could not find the answer, only ontop.

I appreciate your answer Chris. So basically under or on top is okay.

timaishu
06-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Are you planning to remove swirls prior to coating? At the least, use optimum polish II as it will do a better job cutting to improve gloss and remove some swirls.

And from my experience, finish polish is harder to remove than optiumum polish II. So I would use OPII.

op1001
06-17-2012, 08:53 PM
I have some minor imperfections in the back trunk area. I want to use the least aggressive method which would probably be the OPII. Though I do have a bottle of Poor Boys SSR 2.5 and SSR1 as well as KLASSE AIO that i did my other car with ... So i didn't know if i should order new stuff or keep what I have.

timaishu
06-17-2012, 09:14 PM
OPII is great. I would use that as all the optimum products are synergistic(no idea if thats the right word). Like, with other polishes, you have to worry about polishing oils effecting the bonding ability of OC. From what I was told, with optimum products, you can get away with wiping down with just a damp towel.

crxman2010
06-17-2012, 09:41 PM
I was wondering about on the clear bra too.

I quite happily put opti-coat over my clear bra when I had clear bra installed on my car. To put clear bra over opti-coat, I would guess you want to fully cured and that could be as long as 90 days, I wasn't willing to drive my car around for 90 days hoping to not get a rock chip.

The Positive
It gave the clear bra a glossed look similar to the paint, less of a plastic film look.

The Negative
The idea that you should polish out anything you cannot live with doesn't work with a Clear Bra. Opti-coat will bring out the best and the worst in your clear bra, any stretches or other defects in the plastic will be more apparent.

So, at greater than 8 feet makes the clear bra look great. Closer than 8 feet, the clear bra still looks great, but its not hard to find defects in the plastic.

brlukosk
06-17-2012, 09:57 PM
I quite happily put opti-coat over my clear bra when I had clear bra installed on my car. To put clear bra over opti-coat, I would guess you want to fully cured and that could be as long as 90 days, I wasn't willing to drive my car around for 90 days hoping to not get a rock chip.

The Positive
It gave the clear bra a glossed look similar to the paint, less of a plastic film look.

The Negative
The idea that you should polish out anything you cannot live with doesn't work with a Clear Bra. Opti-coat will bring out the best and the worst in your clear bra, any stretches or other defects in the plastic will be more apparent.

So, at greater than 8 feet makes the clear bra look great. Closer than 8 feet, the clear bra still looks great, but its not hard to find defects in the plastic.

I put on my clear bra before I started getting into paint correction.. :(

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

crxman2010
06-18-2012, 12:55 PM
I put on my clear bra before I started getting into paint correction.. :(

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

I had just started playing around with the idea, so front end of my car got nothing more than a hand foam pad and polish II to correct any factory installed options in the paint. I wasn't willing to take a machine to a brand new car at that point. A couple months later, I would not hesitate to :buffing: a new car.