PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang sealant 3.0 over an AIO? (pinnacle XMT 360)

jtoddaz
06-17-2012, 12:37 PM
I have a black car, no metallic that I am preparing to detail. Mainly swirl marks, car about 6 months old. I'm in Phoenix, so I'm choosing to go sealant instead of wax. I also am trying to utilize the products I have.

I am going to try the XMT 360 to rid the swirl marks, and was thinking of topping with my Wolfgang sealant 3.0. The only question is that the 360 states it has a sealant. Would that interfere with the 3.0 bonding at all?

Thanks!

Blackthorn One
06-17-2012, 01:37 PM
If you are going to apply a sealant, it cannot be over a wax or any product with wax in it or it will not bond properly. That said, this is an AIO sealant, so I would think it would be possible. You can put a sealant over a sealant. However, because XMT 360 is a one step sealant and you only indicate that you want to use a sealant, you don't NEED to use another sealant on top of it for protection. That is the point of an AIO. If you just want another layer of sealant, I would wait 12- 24 hours to let the XMT cure before topping.

rider9195
06-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Deep Gloss Paint Sealant shouldn't have a problem bonding over XMT 360. But why use an AIO if you will follow it with a sealant? I would just a medium grade polish to eliminate the swirls and then finish with a sealant.

jtoddaz
06-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks. I would use a polish instead, but I don't have a big bottle, only a sample bottle of Wolfgang swirl remover, which has been used. I don't think I have enough left to do the whole car.

I was going to apply the 3.0 on top because there were a few comments about the longevity of the 360's sealant properties. Since we won't see a high temp below 100 for the next three months, I wanted to make sure I got some good protection on there.

snellvilleauto
06-17-2012, 11:40 PM
I would apply the 3.0 after the next wash. Enjoy the XMT360 for a while :)

mwoolfso
06-18-2012, 07:28 AM
No compatibility issues exist between them from the standpoint of product classifications. As for XMT 360, personally I never needed any cure time and the product description doesn't call for it either.

Considering WGDPS is more expensive and a dedicated sealant, I would typically use a dedicated polish or a dedicated pre-wax cleaner before using a dedicated sealant. The benefits in my mind is that it "enables" the more expensive sealant to cross-link direcly with the paint surface itself. In theory, I get a stronger bond rather than have the sealant cross-link (or mix) with the first sealant layer. An in my head longer durabilty. How much? I don't know..... I'll only analyze to a certain limit on matters such as car care. It makes sense to me; so I am comfortable.

As for you, do the same thing. Implement approaches that makes you comfortable. Take other people's input and evolve your approaches over time. If you get results that satisfy you in every way, then the approach works.

mwoolfso
06-18-2012, 09:18 AM
BTW.... Wolfgang 3.0 vs. XMT 360 - VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39356)

primo spaghetti
06-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks. I would use a polish instead, but I don't have a big bottle, only a sample bottle of Wolfgang swirl remover, which has been used. I don't think I have enough left to do the whole car.

I was going to apply the 3.0 on top because there were a few comments about the longevity of the 360's sealant properties. Since we won't see a high temp below 100 for the next three months, I wanted to make sure I got some good protection on there.

i agree with rider...

btw...your sample bottle will likely do the car...is it 4 oz? plenty to rid a car of its swirls...