PDA

View Full Version : First Detail - Product List

Wors
06-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Hello, I have been browsing the autogeek forums for the past week and gained a wealth of knowledge. I currently have two SUV daily drivers. Both paints are in good condition. At this time I would like to do everything by hand. In time with more reading I will purchase a DA. Please see make any recommendations to my current paint care list.

Current List:

- Wash - Megiuars Shampoo Plus
- Cleaner - Iron-X
- Clay - ??? (What QD should go with the clay?)
- Cleaner/Polish - Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
- Wax - Collinite 915

Should anything be applied after the 915? If it is a QD could I get a product that would work with the clay as well?

Thanks in advance.

swanicyouth
06-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Hello, I have been browsing the autogeek forums for the past week and gained a wealth of knowledge. I currently have two SUV daily drivers. Both paints are in good condition. At this time I would like to do everything by hand. In time with more reading I will purchase a DA. Please see make any recommendations to my current paint care list.

Current List:

- Wash - Megiuars Shampoo Plus
- Cleaner - Iron-X
- Clay - ??? (What QD should go with the clay?)
- Cleaner/Polish - Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
- Wax - Collinite 915

Should anything be applied after the 915? If it is a QD could I get a product that would work with the clay as well?

Thanks in advance.

That list looks pretty good. Nothing needs to be applied over 915. 915 should be applied thinly and removed quickly. Some find it hard to remove if left on too long. You want to apply to 1 or 2 panels at a time; then remove.
*****Be careful, as clay can sometimes mar paint if your new to it. Go with a soft clay. Use lots of lube and light pressure. I've had good luck with the Meg's OTC clay kit. Under $20 and it comes with two 100g bars of clay and a bottle of quick detailer. That's enough clay to do probably 3 or 4 cars. Its available everywhere.
I would also recommend 2 five gallon bucks, at least 1 Grit Guard, and some quality microfiber towels. At least order a couple high quality MF towels to remove the wax. The Cobra 530s or the Purple Cobra Jn Plush towels are good. I would also recommend a quality foam applicator to apply the wax. The yellow circle ones are fine and cheap. I like the P21S ones, they cost more.
*** Hope this helps.

Wors
06-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Thank you for the feedback.

Is there a particular quick spray that you like or just use the QD that comes with the Meguiar OTC clay? I know it would be more expensive but would the pinnacle clay with the Pinnacle Quick Mist or Pinnacle Clay Lubricant be a better option?

I did not mention but I do have 2 buckets with grit guard and some nice MF on the way. The wax process you describe is exactly how I have used applied it in the past. I will check out the P21s applicator you mentioned. This is the first time I have used a polish or paint cleaner though.