PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on how to get my name out there

Pages : [1] 2

Whitethunder46
03-30-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm looking for some ideas to get my name really out there. Granted, I only plan on doing 2-3 vehicles per week, but it would be nice to stay picked a couple weeks in advanced and be able to take more vehicles if I so choose.

I'm basically 100% set to start making money, but need to get jumpstarted. I have a few people lined up, but not many, and they haven't made appointments yet.

I made a flyer on Word, and personally I think it's really good. I also have it printed on HP's Glossy flyer paper, this is high quality paper and looks really good. I have one posted at my local golf club where I work, and I'm going to post one at a local hair salon, and two performace auto shops. Other than that, I don't know where to post them, and more importantly, where I CAN post them.

Do any of you guys talk to random people about your business? Like, if you are at a store, and you see someone get out of a decent car that you think they woul like to take care of, do you go up and talk to them? If so, what do you say and how do you get their attention? More importantly do you sell what your doing and how successful are you at this? If this isn't too tacky, I see a large amount of nicer cars at my country club I could talk to.

As soon as I sell my Stang and get my new vehicle, I'm going to have decals, etc. for my website, phone number, etc. and I hope this will help with advertising.

So, does any one have any suggestions? I'm really going to rely on WOM, but I got to get jumpstarted first to be able to rely on WOM. Basically, i'm just looking to get jumpstarted.

CalgaryDetail
03-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Word of mouth is your best bet. Find some doctors or lawyers with nice cars, offer them a free detail. They have freinds who are also profesonals and will pass your name on.

Also get cards and hand them out like man. i have probley habded out 200 cards in the last few months, 1 detail and there paid for.

When people ask what you do tell them you detail and give them a card. Word of mouth will take a little while but is well worth it

Whitethunder46
03-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Word of mouth is your best bet. Find some doctors or lawyers with nice cars, offer them a free detail. They have freinds who are also profesonals and will pass your name on.

Also get cards and hand them out like man. i have probley habded out 200 cards in the last few months, 1 detail and there paid for.

When people ask what you do tell them you detail and give them a card. Word of mouth will take a little while but is well worth it

I have 1500 cards. My gf and I put about 150 of them on higher end cars about a week ago.

paradog
03-30-2007, 10:15 PM
1. Flyers are okay but as someoone that hates people touching my car...not the best idea.

2. Coupon clipper mailings. - this is a service that sends an evelope of flyers to every house in a certain area...costs a bit more but might be worth it.

3. GO to a car Meet & Greet, Cruizes and hand out the flyers to the owners. Many of them use detailers and would be interested in your services. Bring your own car to showcase your work! Maybe do a demo?

4. Where those wonderful shirts and hats Jina made for you!

5. have any friends with really nice rides...give them a discount on a detail and provide a limited referal program to them. Detail their car one for a fair price and then tell them if they refer 3 people they get 1/2 off (or whatever you determine) their next detail.

6. Provide a detail for charity. People like to see businesses that provide their services for free for a worthy cause...check you local schools, churches, etc

7. If these don't work...ask me for more ideas!

Now go out there and detail my ride!

Sevenrd
03-30-2007, 10:31 PM
I agree about word of mouth being your best friend. I only do this part-time, but have built a pretty solid customer base simply by having one customer refer two or three others to me, and them referring even more. It starts building up quickly once you get those first few customers. Of course, that's provided they are satisfied with the work.

If I ever began doing this full time I'd be more aggressive in marketing myself. But for a part-timer, word of mouth is all I've needed.

Nuke33
03-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Go to places like hospitals and to places where people have nice cars and just talk to the managment or w/e owener and ask them to put a flyer up in the break room

orngez
03-30-2007, 11:42 PM
the other thing is you HAVE to be a salesman...sell the idea of your service on people...don't be shy about bragging how great you will make their car look...be confident in your abilities...as "autogeeks" we tend to be very picky of what we feel a "perfect" car detailing session is..but most of the general public are just wow'ed by a wash, clay and wax...dont just hand out a business card...seal the deal right then and there....just tell them "so when can I sign you up for a detail?" be aggressive on the first few clients and the word of mouth will quickly spread...for your first couple clients definitely offer a discount on the second or even first detail if they refer a friend...

sparkie
03-31-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm just a part-timer, word of mouth gives me plenty to do. Sometimes I need help with the washes. Working full time job 40-60 hours a week, washing 5-6 cars a week and doing 1 or 2 full details a month.

Whitethunder46, when you do good work the business will come to you. I have faith in you. I've seen the pics of your work, and I read your posts. You will do fine.

Looks like these guys is giving you some good advice.

Gary Sword
03-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Place little lighted signs with Hart's Auto Detailing all over your city. When they come to arrest you make sure the TV News Stations have been notifield so you get lots of news coverage and publicity.

ScottB
03-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Whats a matter, didnt all those cards I hung in the mens bathroom ellicit some contacts ????

koibybrian
03-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Maybe cabel

Lone_Star
03-31-2007, 11:40 AM
I told you Greg, hook me up with your GF's Twin, and I will do all the word of mouth you want. :righton:

WHere are you in O-HE-O? I know a bunch of folks there and I might be able to send some business your way.

Whitethunder46
03-31-2007, 06:06 PM
I told you Greg, hook me up with your GF's Twin, and I will do all the word of mouth you want. :righton:

WHere are you in O-HE-O? I know a bunch of folks there and I might be able to send some business your way.

Hahaha, that's funnnyyyy.

I'm from Dayton, both Columbus and Cincy are about an hour drive.

At work today, (at the golf course), I handed out two cards to people I somewhat know. One already takes care of his car, but I know I can step it up a notch. The other just bought a new Nissan Maxima or Altima (one of the two). He sounded realy interested especially when I commented about removing any fine swirls the new car might have, etc. etc.

Once I get a few customers, I'm confident that WOM will travel because I am a perfectionist and use only the best chemicals. The problem is, getting the first few customers.

budman3
03-31-2007, 06:27 PM
Craigslist is your best friend..........

Al-53
03-31-2007, 06:34 PM
Craigslist is your best friend..........

Also if your local supermarkets have a community board..leave a card pinned to the board....also ask any of the fast lube places if you can leave a few cards ...also some body shops...I have gotten a few cars from body shops...once they see the car repainted..they want the rest to look good also...speed shops..leave some cards...

Craiglist works

Al