PDA

View Full Version : LC Pads Gumming Up??

galaxy
06-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Well, I don't know if gumming up is the right word, but when I'm polishing and/or correcting, the white pad is my "go-to" pad. But during the work, the outer 1-2" radius of the pad gets dried up and crusty, powdery like. It's like all the polish/wax is getting pulled into the center of the pad; this area stays pretty saturated and workable. I try to apply my product to that outside portion but it still gets that way.

It hasn't really created a problem or anything and I just swap the pad out when it gets to a certain point; just curious if I'm doing something wrong or if there's a different technique I can try to eliminate this occurrence. It certainly doesn't have an impact on my work though, so not a total issue. I usually notice it because when that outside portion starts drying out, it'll start slinging dust.

rider9195
06-15-2012, 11:11 AM
You need to be cleaning your pad after every section then.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20135-how-clean-your-foam-pad-fly-when-using-porter-cable-style-da-polisher.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/28755-why-s-important-clean-your-pads-often.html

The Pad Man
06-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Is it humid by you?

Bunky
06-15-2012, 04:48 PM
I would say using too much product especially if you say it is workable and/or not cleaning the pad often enough.

Kevin Cullen
06-15-2012, 05:03 PM
The polish will work itself into the center of the pad. i would agree with rider that you are not cleaning your pads enough.

galaxy
06-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys...guess I need to research cleaning the pads as I go. Any tips for the foam pads?

primo spaghetti
06-16-2012, 07:54 PM
search for mike phillips clean on the fly or clean as you go method (cant recall)...it works pretty good on my DA and reduced the need to change pads for me.

c5errr
06-22-2012, 03:19 PM
u can clean the pad with the pad cleaning brush or any tooth brush but it should be soft or medium
and make sure to spray pad lube or QD on the pad whenever it gets dry

ski2
06-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Denture brush from the Dollar Store works great on foam pads.

Silverbullet555
06-23-2012, 08:59 AM
I noticed that as well last night when I was working on the boat. I used the on the fly cleaning method until it got to the point that I felt even that wasn't enough so I pulled the pad.