PDA

View Full Version : How to use the Gilmour Foam Gun?

mark2dx
06-15-2012, 10:50 AM
I used my Gilmour Foam Gun for the first time yesterday and it didn't quite work as I had planned at first.

From what I understood I should just fill the bottle up with my car wash soap of choice and the gun itself would auto-mix it based on the setting I put it on. I was very surprised to find that I had no suds at all!

Granted I had only put 1oz of Optimum Car Wash into the Gilmour bottle, as the Optimum recommends 1oz/gallon of water (which is the same setting I had the gun on). I figured that made the most sense for how much product I should be filling it with.

Am I supposed to have the bottle filled with more car wash solution for it to pull up into the actual gun? Once I added water to the bottle I was able to lay out a nice foam bath - probably at a higher dilution than intended, but a nice one nonetheless :dblthumb2:

PA DETAILER
06-15-2012, 11:09 AM
? usually 1-2 oz of car wash and the rest water. first fill with water then add the car wash. shake it up. i dont know if you have the dial or stem ratio mixer. i think what happened is you had to low of a mix. on mine the next to last notch in the stem works fine. play with the mix ratio.

ExpressDetail
06-15-2012, 11:13 AM
? usually 1-2 oz of car wash and the rest water. first fill with water then add the car wash. shake it up. i dont know if you have the dial or stem ratio mixer. i think what happened is you had to low of a mix. on mine the next to last notch in the stem works fine. play with the mix ratio.
:dblthumb2:

Detail_Dude
06-15-2012, 11:22 AM
I would say the amount of soap you use should lessen at the higher foam settings (e.g., D) - since you will be using more per squeeze - and greater at lower dilution ratios (e.g. B) - since you will be using more hose water and less mix form the GFG II.

That said, I believe the GGII bottle is approx. 32 oz. (the one I have). So, I might use 4oz of soap for setting C (mid-foam setting) and only 2 oz of soap for setting D or E (heavier foam).

Now, if I were using Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Clear, I would probably cut those numbers in half if only doing a maintence wash (non stripping): 2 oz for setting C.

Does this make sense? I am not prescribing a method, but merely relaying what I have been doing and, as you, seeking advice/input from those with more experience.

Btw, looove Optimum Car Wash!!!

Jon

mark2dx
06-15-2012, 11:41 AM

I believe I have the stem ratio mixer. It's a little slider with holes in it that lets you set the gun for specific dilutions.

I think my problem was that I just didn't have any water in the container :P. The impression I got from the directions was that it would just magically mix at the proper dilution once the gun was set. Once I added water I actually got the thing to spray foam, and it worked great!

Detail_Dude - Yep, totally makes sense :buffing: