PDA

View Full Version : CG Glossworkz Glaze Part Deux

Pages : [1] 2

sportscarhiatus
06-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Baby crying had me up already before 5 am today, so I decided to go work in the garage afterwards :)

Anyways, I figured I'd give Glossworkz another chance. I used a blue CCS pad, PC, speed 5 this time, medium pressure, 3 passes or so per area. The results were better this time. I noticed some filling and it leveled out the paint really nice. Again, Marilyn is about 98% swirl free, so for the very few remaining, GWG did a great job at making much much less noticeable. It was also VERY slick. Even slicker than I remember last week when I did speed 2.5, with about 2 passes. I guess the secret is to "work it in" more?

After that was done, I coated her with Blacklight. Then headed to work.

Anyone else have the same experience with GWG? Am I using it correctly?

TimmyG
06-14-2012, 08:49 AM
How did you apply the BL? Curious because I have heard of people achieving great results with GWG via machine followed by BL + V7 by hand.

Sounds like everything went well for you.

ziggo99
06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Baby crying had me up already before 5 am today, so I decided to go work in the garage afterwards :)

Anyways, I figured I'd give Glossworkz another chance. I used a blue CCS pad, PC, speed 5 this time, medium pressure, 3 passes or so per area. The results were better this time. I noticed some filling and it leveled out the paint really nice. Again, Marilyn is about 98% swirl free, so for the very few remaining, GWG did a great job at making much much less noticeable. It was also VERY slick. Even slicker than I remember last week when I did speed 2.5, with about 2 passes. I guess the secret is to "work it in" more?

After that was done, I coated her with Blacklight. Then headed to work.

Anyone else have the same experience with GWG? Am I using it correctly?

That sounds a lot like a reviewer off a Mustang forum found out. The higher the speed, the better it works. He was going at it on speed 6 and it was really filling and leveling.

sportscarhiatus
06-14-2012, 09:09 AM
First off, let me say that I was doing all this hard work on her last night and early this morning for a big car show tonight at 5:30. I'm stoked.

How did you apply the BL? Curious because I have heard of people achieving great results with GWG via machine followed by BL + V7 by hand.

Sounds like everything went well for you.

Yes sir. That is the combo I am going for. GWG + BL + V7. I only got to finish Blacklight this morning, because
a) I ran out of time
b) I wanted to V7 when I get off work so that it's looking fresh and wet for tonight's car show. I don't think V7 needs to cure. Blacklight does.

To answer your question though, I applied BL with a red CCS pad, speed 3. 2 passes per area. Been doing that for months... BL and V7 is my go-to combo.

That sounds a lot like a reviewer off a Mustang forum found out. The higher the speed, the better it works. He was going at it on speed 6 and it was really filling and leveling.

Indeed.

I read/heard about the higher speed from not only this forum but also on the stang forums. So far, everyone is right, and yes, I am ON the bandwagon. I have boarded and riding this baby all the way!!! :D

Flannigan
06-14-2012, 09:13 AM
IIRC Blacklight has polishing capabilities which would remove any filling that the glaze would have left behind.

sportscarhiatus
06-14-2012, 09:28 AM
IIRC Blacklight has polishing capabilities which would remove any filling that the glaze would have left behind.

You know, you're not the first person that has said that BL is an "AIO" with cleaning capabilities. I'm not dinging you at all... just saying I'm trying to find WHERE that is stated. Or if someone just started that rumor. No where on the label does it state it has cleaning/polishing properties, nor does it even state it on the description on AG's product page. In fact, I even talked with CG directly about this. I even asked them what the best method would be to use my 2 favorite CG products (BL and V7) in conjunction with GWG. According to them, GWG should be laid underneath BL and V7, just as was stated. Under no circumstance would BL remove any of the GWG. The composition of both is "compatible" (I quote) with each other. I guess that's the beauty of what Mike P. said sometime in the past... of sticking with product/brand homogeneity.

BL is a nano-tech sealant glaze...not sure where folks are getting "polishing" and "cleaning". I mean, if you used a polishing pad (white or orange or whatever), I suppose you could make ANYthing have polishing properties.

Flannigan
06-14-2012, 09:40 AM
You know, you're not the first person that has said that BL is an "AIO" with cleaning capabilities. I'm not dinging you at all... just saying I'm trying to find WHERE that is stated. Or if someone just started that rumor. No where on the label does it state it has cleaning/polishing properties, nor does it even state it on the description on AG's product page. In fact, I even talked with CG directly about this. I even asked them what the best method would be to use my 2 favorite CG products (BL and V7) in conjunction with GWG. According to them, GWG should be laid underneath BL and V7, just as was stated. Under no circumstance would BL remove any of the GWG. The composition of both is "compatible" (I quote) with each other. I guess that's the beauty of what Mike P. said sometime in the past... of sticking with product/brand homogeneity.

BL is a nano-tech sealant glaze...not sure where folks are getting "polishing" and "cleaning". I mean, if you used a polishing pad (white or orange or whatever), I suppose you could make ANYthing have polishing properties.
No worries, I have only used BL a handful of times and it was always as just an LSP. Problem with CG is they are never very clear about what all of their products do, or even what the proper application of all of them is. In the end if the combo worked for you then keep using it! :dblthumb2:

IOMCAMARO
06-14-2012, 09:44 AM
No worries, I have only used BL a handful of times and it was always as just an LSP. Problem with CG is they are never very clear about what all of their products do, or even what the proper application of all of them is. In the end if the combo worked for you then keep using it! :dblthumb2:

It's because they don't even know what their products can do LOL

TimmyG
06-14-2012, 09:44 AM

Agreed!

Wouldn't it just be easier to call a polish a damn polish?! Their terminology is definitely a little different. I was trying to teach a friend about detailing that wants to start up and I could see his brain spinning when I started explaining how sometimes companies will call a wax but it's actually a sealant, etc.

sportscarhiatus
06-14-2012, 09:52 AM

Yeah, I didn't mean to come on terse, Flannigan... wasn't directed against you, was just trying to find out where this cleaning/polishing idea came from. But you are correct, CG sometimes is very vague about their products. In fact, their product description (Sadly, a LOT of companies do this) is more geared towards big marketing spin-off words to lure would-be customers in to buy their product.

But this is precisely the reason why I CALL CG and talk directly to the experts there, to avoid any confusion as to how/what I should use. In fact one time, I asked to connect me directly to the main honcho... I forget his name. Nice guy... very confident about his products. Lol.

CG has some great products, but they do have some products that are not worth the price of admission.

Ain't that the truth... lol.

Agreed!

Wouldn't it just be easier to call a polish a damn polish?! Their terminology is definitely a little different. I was trying to teach a friend about detailing that wants to start up and I could see his brain spinning when I started explaining how sometimes companies will call a wax but it's actually a sealant, etc.

I agree with you man. It's definitely hard to get new detailers (friends of mine) spun up on how to/what to/etc use for detailing. I find myself getting frustrated teaching them how to... but.... I HAVE to remember to be patient. Because when I started out, I am sure I asked a lot of questions too. But then again, I essentially learned on my own, through trial and error, and having a beater Civic I could keep testing and making "mistakes" on. Also, I READ a lot, esp on this forum. Most folks are too impatient to do research and want the answer spoon-fed to them. Tsk tsk.

Sorry I digress.

Back to topic, GWG underneath BL is working great for me "So far". Will do V7 on her tonight when I get home... BL would have cured for 8 hours then.

Flannigan
06-14-2012, 09:59 AM
LOL :iagree:

Agreed!

It would be easier, but that isn't their marketing strategy. I'm telling you man, CG has got their marketing down to a science, especially towards someone who may not know that much about detailing. Hell, I consider myself fairly informed about detailing and even I get excited when I read some of their descriptions...lol. I had a buddy call me the other day saying how amazing CG products look and asked me if I had any he could try..lol. He was actually excited, I could hear over the phone that he had a hug smile on his face...lol. So in that respct, CG is doing something right.

Yeah, I didn't mean to come on terse, Flannigan... wasn't directed against you, was just trying to find out where this cleaning/polishing idea came from. But you are correct, CG sometimes is very vague about their products. In fact, their product description (Sadly, a LOT of companies do this) is more geared towards big marketing spin-off words to lure would-be customers in to buy their product.

But this is precisely the reason why I CALL CG and talk directly to the experts there, to avoid any confusion as to how/what I should use. In fact one time, I asked to connect me directly to the main honcho... I forget his name. Nice guy... very confident about his products. Lol.

CG has some great products, but they do have some products that are not worth the price of admission.

Ain't that the truth... lol.

I agree with you man. It's definitely hard to get new detailers (friends of mine) spun up on how to/what to/etc use for detailing. I find myself getting frustrated teaching them how to... but.... I HAVE to remember to be patient. Because when I started out, I am sure I asked a lot of questions too. But then again, I essentially learned on my own, through trial and error, and having a beater Civic I could keep testing and making "mistakes" on. Also, I READ a lot, esp on this forum. Most folks are too impatient to do research and want the answer spoon-fed to them. Tsk tsk.

Sorry I digress.

Back to topic, GWG underneath BL is working great for me "So far". Will do V7 on her tonight when I get home... BL would have cured for 8 hours then.
No worries buddy, I figured as much. I think calling the company is the easiest way to get correct answers for sure! :dblthumb2:

embolism
06-14-2012, 11:51 AM
I always thought that if a product stains trim then it has cleaning properties.

BL fits that bill, ergo...

TimmyG
06-14-2012, 12:04 PM
It would be easier, but that isn't their marketing strategy. I'm telling you man, CG has got their marketing down to a science, especially towards someone who may not know that much about detailing. Hell, I consider myself fairly informed about detailing and even I get excited when I read some of their descriptions...lol. I had a buddy call me the other day saying how amazing CG products look and asked me if I had any he could try..lol. He was actually excited, I could hear over the phone that he had a hug smile on his face...lol. So in that respct, CG is doing something right.
:

It makes sense from a business standpoint, I agree 100%. I just dislike their webpage layout and product descriptions. Other than that, I'm a big CG fan. I've yet to find a wash detergent I like more than CWG and Honeydew. Same can be said about their glazes and sealants. They offer some great products.

kline39
06-14-2012, 01:19 PM
on the CG website, if you look at the blacklight product description (its about a page and a half long with exciting words and BL claim to fame) it says that it has some very mild abrasives and can be used as a AIO.

sportscarhiatus
06-14-2012, 01:50 PM
I always thought that if a product stains trim then it has cleaning properties.

BL fits that bill, ergo...

Embo... I was always wondering about that. I wonder if it's because folks let the product dry/haze ON the trim? Whenever I accidentally get some on the trim, whether it be from PC application or hand application, I always have at least 2 MF's handy on me, so I just wipe it off. I never have/had a problem with staining, so I can't speak to anything staining trim...

on the CG website, if you look at the blacklight product description (its about a page and a half long with exciting words and BL claim to fame) it says that it has some very mild abrasives and can be used as a AIO.

Interesting. You're right.

So my opinion is... CG is pulling a fast one over me and everyone else. How can a "cleaner" not REMOVE the glaze underneath it? Remeber, CG themselves told me in person that BL over GWG is a proper thing to do.