PDA

View Full Version : New to site, have one question...

supra90
06-14-2012, 08:22 AM
I have a 1990 Supra Turbo. I had a slight tear in the driver's side upper panel. It was repaired and repainted. However, the paint is a little light. The vinyl is a dark blue and the paint is a little lighter in color than the other side(passenger). The car is in nice condition, but the vinyl is 22 years old and has darkened. Does anyone know of any products that would darken vinyl slightly. I want to darken the blue a little on the driver's side. I have heard of "Back to black"...It almost matches so it does not warrant a repaint. Thanks

ScubaCougr
06-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Darkening vinyl or leather might require a spot re-dye. No direct experience. Might check your yellow pages for leather-vinyl repair or ask your favorite dealer who they call when a mechanic sits down with a screwdriver in his back pocket (don't ask...)

supra90
06-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Hi Mike...thanks for your input. But the problem is not that's it's too dark. The side that was painted is too light. Maybe that was the original color of the panel when it was new, over the years with the use of Amorall(not a great idea) and UV rays, the upper panels darkened. Then I noticed a slight tear in the upper right driver's side. Should have left it alone.They guy did a great repair. Good grain match. You would never know there was a tear. But then I am anal about my car. Aren't we all on this site lol. Anyway.... what needs to be redyed is the drivers side to make it a shade, and I mean a slight shade darker to match the left. And I am talking the whole upper panel, as the whole panel was repainted. I just thought some kind of darkening agent like Back to Black, or Wolfgangs, you know the stuff that darkens vinyl trim might do the trick. Olive oil does help. If you don't mind a greasy/shiny look. It does darken the area. Thanks for your help.

Mike Phillips
06-25-2012, 06:46 AM
Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

You'll tend to get more and better responses if you start a "dedicated thread" in the general detailing forum versus including it in a "intro" thread.

:xyxthumbs: